October 26th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: Marriage is a 'great love story'

John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.
John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Despite John Edwards' extramarital affair that rocked his marriage, his wife described their union as a "love story," albeit an unconventional one.

Elizabeth Edwards told WJLA-TV in Washington late last week that she wants her marriage to work, and that her husband has been supportive as she continues to battle breast cancer.

"John said, 'Perhaps not the great love story that we hoped, but maybe a great love story nonetheless," she said.

Edwards added: "'Til death do you part, because that's what I want."

Though Elizabeth promised to soldier on, she acknowledged the grim reality of trying to overcome terminal cancer.

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. gb

Please , please, please CNN. NO MORE ABOUT ELIZABETH EDWARDS. She is a liar and a thief. She is mentally impaired. Millions of people have cancer and many more millions have lost children, and many many more millions have had husbands who have cheated on them. SHE IS NOT NEWS. SHE HAS NEVER BEEN NEWS. Enough already.

October 26, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Anonymous

I pray that she finds peace in this life rather then later. I also pray her children aren't affected to deeply by their father's inapporpriate behavior towards their beloved mother.

October 26, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Rick

Pathetic. She only stayed in it to help his chances of winning. If he were not a senator at the time she would have told him to hit the road. I still find it funny that CNN did not even cover this story during the election as to not hurt his chances of winning.

October 26, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. Adelita

Taking the children and leaving her husband puts the children in the position of choosing between them when she won't be around for any great length of time. She's chosen the harder road, to do what's best for her children. I admire her strength of character; I would probably have kicked him to the curb.

October 26, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. joan

He certainly does NOT deserve that woman.
    She is smart. Her time is numbered..why take on anymore stress like a divorce?

October 26, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Jack

Don't we just have wish them the best and stay out of others marriage. I've been married 25 years and am hoping to hang on till the end. It ain't always easy and thank god she has been forgiving of my many faults. John is lucky to have Elizabeth as a partner and I hope he appreciates that.

October 26, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. Mac

I adore her. Marriage is for better, for worse, till death do us part. Those that said they'd rather remain single than cope with John Edward, I bet if one looked into you secretive, dirty, single lives you live, John Edward would be judged an angel!

October 26, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. Anne E.

Mr. Edwards doesn't deserve Elizabeth.
    And no other woman in his life, past or present, will ever be half as classy, courageous and strong as she is - no one.

October 26, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. Obama WORST president EVER

Clearly delusional.

October 26, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. lindita

They are regreting just for a career. I think both deserve each other but no honest american people. I never give him a vote. Thank you.

October 26, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. AnnoyedBystupidity

A whole different definition of "standing by your man." There is nothing biblical about staying with a man who is not only a schmuck but a lying jerk.

October 26, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. sue

Whatever Elizabeth Edwards does, even though her husband has acted shamefully, is her choice and I applaud her decision. Keep fighting Mrs. Edward!

October 26, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Maureen Linke

Nothing can justify what John Edwards did. But if I was terminally ill with cancer I would surround myself with those I've loved the longest and most even if they had let me down. I sympathize with her, and echo an earlier comment "If you haven't walked a mile in Elizabeth Edward's shoes don't judge."

October 26, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. Ray

I agree with the posts supporting Ms. Edwards. There are too many selfish people ready to jump ship and toss a marriage out the window based on .....what? For better or worse is what it is supposed to be. He made a mistake. She forgives. Those who would never consider staying or going back have never been in love. Seriously, you have never been in love. You do not know what it is to have and be in love. The vows you made were for your convenience and really do not mean enough to you. Woman or man.
    It is true that cheating ALLOWS one the out. One is not required to take it. The cheating is a result of other breakdowns in the relationship. Not considering staying or going back is to NOT take responsibility or acknowledge your own faults.
    Too much pride / self-righteousness and too little compassion.

October 26, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. P McSherry

Not to be disrespectful to the Edwards but why is this still in the press. His political career is over they should be allowed their dignity and move on. Good luck to both of them and I hope they find happiness.

October 26, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. Jane

It's their business. I admire her a lot.

October 26, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. LaVerne

Mrs. Edwards, I admire you for your courage. Keep perservering. Not one of us knows what the future holds for us. Enjoy the present, continue to love your family, and remember your husband, children, other family members, and friends are cheering you on to victory.

October 26, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Deb

Denial is a powerful force. How much more does he need to lie about before she acknowledges the truth? She needs someone who truly loves and supports her in sickness and in health - not what this monster did to her.

October 26, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. lindita

She deserve every think that he did, but the honest american dont deserve this man. I never vote for him.

October 26, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  20. Royster

Democratic or Republican; neither has a monopoly on Marriage, and neither has a monopoly in faithfulness. If these two people choose to stay together (like S.C. Gov Sanford and wife by the way...) it is their choice and their journey.
    Faithfullness is an issue that effects reverends and rogues, rich and poor, left and right, all ethnics and all creeds. How can anyone here judge the Edwards' family on this? Those who say pathetic here.....are truly the pathetic ones, and evidently have no forgiveness in their own lives.

October 26, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. Victor Welch

Are youkidding me? Does anyone really believe that John Edwards has not be a vain, egotistical, life-long skirt chaser? Does anyone really believe that Edwards is not a shallow jerk? Who actually thinks that this latest affair where he fathered an out-of-wedlock child with ridiculously manipulative neurotic nut was his first tryst? Who actually thinks this is the first of John's affairs that Elizabeth has known about? Look, I have no real problem with her abiding his infidelity - nor do I think it necessarily obviates his connection and commitment to her, but a GREAT LOVE STORY? You have to be kidding me!

October 26, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  22. JASON

May GOD give her the courage to live for the day and hope for a tomorrow for the children she love so much.She is one of the very few we all can admire for her courage,faith and love in spite of all the odds.
    Chances are she will forgive him for all that he did.

October 26, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Chris from Bartlett, IL

You know, I used to respect Elizabeth, but I think she is as crazy as he is. You don't degrade yourself like this and leave as a legacy for your children the memory of a mother who begged a cheating man to stay with her. Especially after reports that he told the other one to wait until Elizabeth dies. I would wake up every morning wondering if he was disappointed that I woke up. Plus, if you heard what she said at the end of the Larry King interview, something about his "latest indiscretion," makes you realize this probably isn't the first and only girlfriend. Maybe that was their arrangement all along.

October 26, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. abigail

Cancer is a terrible disease to fight. I have another kind of disease that I am struggling with and I wish I had a spouse to be there for me. And I mean...be there for ME. That being said, I would rather go it alone rather than have the additional pain of a cheating spouse at a time when his strength and love would be needed.

She has made her decision and the rest of us need to respect that. It's her marriage not ours. I would not tolerate it, sick or well, but each of us has a different drummer.

October 26, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. CJ

I admire Elizabeth Edwards very much and wish her the best, but I am really getting tired of women letting their husbands off the hook for their indiscretions! If women are not going to kick these cheating losers to the curb, then at least they should make their husbands lives a living hell. Also, if a man cheats once, he will do it again. It is a shame that educated & successful women haven't learned basic Relationship 101 in 2009.

October 26, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |