October 26th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: Marriage is a 'great love story'

John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.
John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Despite John Edwards' extramarital affair that rocked his marriage, his wife described their union as a "love story," albeit an unconventional one.

Elizabeth Edwards told WJLA-TV in Washington late last week that she wants her marriage to work, and that her husband has been supportive as she continues to battle breast cancer.

"John said, 'Perhaps not the great love story that we hoped, but maybe a great love story nonetheless," she said.

Edwards added: "'Til death do you part, because that's what I want."

Though Elizabeth promised to soldier on, she acknowledged the grim reality of trying to overcome terminal cancer.

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. enough already

How do you love someone who has no respect for you?

October 26, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  2. Amado Villanueva

I would love this couple to read this Book By Gary Zukav soul to Soul Communication from the Heart: I love this lady: She is a winnner. not sure how to get it to her. In his Service

October 26, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. dave meccariello

You have to give this woman credit. She is tough as nails and has the heart and soul of a lioness. John is a total scumbag for cheating on her... much less doing it while she has a terminal disease.

October 26, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. Tania

Her medication has affected her dignity and her brain. I wish her well, but not with this guy.

October 26, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  5. Bob

Great love story???? How sad!

October 26, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  6. Aprile

Wow, what a strong woman–stronger than you John!

October 26, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  7. petey

Oh gag me with a spoon. The guy is a total narcisistic creep. Barf!

October 26, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  8. Jay T.

And in news that actually matters to real human beings: Reid likely to include the public option. Republican representatives told...yes, TOLD...by insurance companies to do everything in their power to kill this thing. And, they wonder why Conservatives scream for Ron Paul at town hall meetings. If I were a Republican, I would be, too.

October 26, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  9. Bub

What pitiful exhibitionists. For their children's sakes can't we let them slide quietly back into the decent obscurity from whence they came? Let's shift to the more important story of balloon boy now and forget these two sad unfortunates.

October 26, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  10. Dollie Naumann

My prayers and thoughts are with Elizabeth Edwards in her courageous battle with cancer. I have lost loved ones with it, so I know what an ordeal it is. I pray if she has to go, she will just pass on in her sleep with no pain, knowing she was a remarkable person.

October 26, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  11. Wade Adeogun

I admire Elizabeth Edwards.

October 26, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  12. Ted Tartaglia

Mrs. Edwards is a very gracious lady. Her husband doesn't deserve her!

October 26, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. Dave

I truly feel sorry for Elizabeth but she is starting to come across as someone who wants to be in the spotlight. I cannot imagine any woman wanting to stay with a guy that has been so slimy.
    I do have to admit I'm biased against John, the so called advocate of the poor who lives in a 30,000 square foot mansion.

October 26, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  14. Dawn

It's really easy for Edwards to commit to "'til death do us part" now when he knows his days with Mrs. Edwards are numbered. What a jerk!

October 26, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. Moonbeam

Mrs. Edwards should stop adoring her unworthy husband and devote her remaining time to her kids.
    I am sure that John Edwards will "move on" very soon after his wife death, but the children will not have another mother.
    Sounds chilly but , very likely, true.

October 26, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. Alice

The saddest part of Elizabeth Edwards' ordeal is not the jerk she married or her blindness in seeing him for what he is. It is the fact that her breast cancer is still terminal. We have not come very far in the treatment of this heart breaking deteriorating disease. This is one of the deadliest cancers and yet there is no cure in sight. Elizabeth should stop living in dreamland and wake up and start campaigning for stepped up research on breast cancer instead of wasting her time on foolish romantic thoughts.

October 26, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. John

Elizabeth Edwards, hope you get well soon.

Can't blame John Edwards, his wife was sick, therefore he was unloading his pack on other women. Every man needs to unload. It is a biological need and natural.

God Bless the Edwards.

October 26, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. Puff the Magic Dragon

She's a bigger woman than I could EVER be, given her husband's cheating ways and obvious passion for another woman...not to mention a possible child with her as well. Or maybe she is deluded. Who knows.

Personally, I would have kicked the bum out. He deserves nothing from her. And yes, I HAVE walked in her shoes, so I can say that.

October 26, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  19. Peggy

God Bless you and Mr. Edwards. Bad enough to have to go through something like this, but in the public eye it's even worse. I have so much respect for Mrs. Edwards and the way she has handled this and every other event in her life. I pray for her survival.

October 26, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  20. jack steinborn

Why don't you keep your private affars to yourself.
    We do not want to hear this.

October 26, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  21. JS007

Well, John is the pretty one, and Elizabeth refuses to give up, no matter how badly he treats her; sounds like a typical love story to me.

October 26, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. single mom

I admire Elizabeth Edwards for her courage and strength in dealing with breast cancer and the loss of her child.
    I cannot understand her willingness to stand by a man who so cruelly violated her trust and their marriage vows.

October 26, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  23. Jamie

Why does this sound this like Sanford of SC? Marriage and a 'Great Love Story' are often two VERY different things. Best of luck to the Edwards on both.

October 26, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. EG Berlin

Those are very nice words, indeed, Mrs Edwards. However, adultery breaks the marriage vows and the offending spouse should be cut off from the rest of the non-offending spouse's life. That's not easy to do for sure, but that is what is required to preserve self-respect, and all marriage partners need to be aware of that when they marry. There's no way to commit un-adultery; therefore, there cannot be full forgiveness, even as much as we might want to. Adultery is deliberate breaking of marriage bonds.

October 26, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  25. Her Again?

Please Liz, go away and stop trying to sell your book.

You covered for a cheater. You assisted in the lies he told.

You should dump the Ken Doll and go out surrounded by those who have remained true to you.

October 26, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |