October 26th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: Marriage is a 'great love story'

John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.
John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Despite John Edwards' extramarital affair that rocked his marriage, his wife described their union as a "love story," albeit an unconventional one.

Elizabeth Edwards told WJLA-TV in Washington late last week that she wants her marriage to work, and that her husband has been supportive as she continues to battle breast cancer.

"John said, 'Perhaps not the great love story that we hoped, but maybe a great love story nonetheless," she said.

Edwards added: "'Til death do you part, because that's what I want."

Though Elizabeth promised to soldier on, she acknowledged the grim reality of trying to overcome terminal cancer.

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. Molly

Not sure what kind of love story includes one partner sleeping around while the other partner battles cancer. Sounds more like a co-dependent relationship, with LOTS of denial. She needs to wake up and realize her husband is a self-centered boor, and she'd be better off without him.

October 26, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. Elizabeth

No comment on their personal lives; that is simply none of my business. I do wish to say that as someone who has fought breast cancer I find Elizabeth Edwards an incredibly brave woman. She has my deepest respect. Only another person who has gone through what she is experiencing can even begin to understand her position. I wish her well.

October 26, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. Paul Doherty

I'm tired of hearing from this woman! She is as phony as her lying, cheating, stealing, corrupt, sorry excuse for a husband/politician...
    Elizabeth, please go away, your 15 minutes of fame and 15 minutes of shame are over!

October 26, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. pinkette

Too bad. What a shame that Elizabeth is so emotionally dependant on her husband. I wish she had other adult family members to help her through this breast cancer treatment. John told his mistress that they would marry once his wife died. Given that, how supportive could he truly be for Elizabeth. I used to really like John. I'm really disappointed in him.

October 26, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  5. Obama is a Socialist

Her and Johnny boy are sick O's.

October 26, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Scott, Tucson

Elizabeth probably expected John to find someone else to replace her, but not while she's still alive.

October 26, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. guest

It sounds like she needs his support.

October 26, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. Wise Latina

Scumbag Dem ambulance chaser John is also counting the days, but for other self serving reasons...

Poor Liz, desperately grasping onto false dreams in her last moments. How very sad.

October 26, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. ICARE

Go away and stop reporting on personal lives of people. Let's lift up couples worth talking about, to make this country more sane.

October 26, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Kris

I think this is ridiculous. Her marriage is a great love story? Give me a break. He cheated on her while she was dealing with breast cancer and taking care of their kids. Then he denies the affair, and tries to have one of his staffers say that it's his baby she's carrying. I know people deal with affairs differently but I just don't see how you can have any self-respect when you stay with a man like this. Doing it for the kids is not a good reason; they know that something isn't right. I'm sorry she's dealing with this whole situation, but I think she's living in a fantasy world. Let's hope he treats her better from now on, for her sake.

October 26, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Mark-USN Retired in VA

May God bless their attempt to maintain and percervere this hard road.

October 26, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. Mary Cahill

Please, won't these people just go away and take with them Jon & Kate, Lohan, Madonna, the birthing cow who just had 8 babies and a slew of others we are sick and tired of hearing about. While they are leaving, perhaps they could scrape up what news is left about Elvis, Princess Di and Michael Jackson. They are DEAD people, DEAD. End of story. CNN and MSNBC lists some of this "crap" as news. This country doesn't know what news is really about. Maybe when the Chinese wake us up one morning and say, "We're here, we own the USA", or maybe if we wait long enough, that little shrimp in Iran will blow us off the map. Now, that would be news, wouldn't it ... or would it?

October 26, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  13. GGD

I wish Mrs. Edwards continued strength and much happiness. I have zero respect for John Edwards and do not believe he is worthy of her love. I hope he will give her his undivided attention in the days ahead.

October 26, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  14. palmer

It is really sad that she has 'settled' given her situation. She deserves better.

October 26, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. Esther massillon ohio

I do not mean any disrespect to Elizabeth but somewhere somehow we need to be honest with our sister about men who cheat and come to telling the truth it is abusive relationship and men are telling us after a certain age or health problem they are having a midlife crisis or what ever. Men need to know that we are not going to take it. Elizabeth tell the truth he has hurt and embarassed and all the nation is aware of what he has done. Throw the bum out and take him for all he has put you through in the years of your marriage. You are better off without him and the nation is happy it did not vote for him to be president what an poor example he is showing our children.

October 26, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  16. Amy

This makes me very sad. He's a scumbag that was planning to marry someone else as soon as his wife's death made him single again. The fact that she would want to stay with him shows her own weakness. That marriage is a sham.

October 26, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  17. Jane/Seattle

Whatever! This is not Big news. What about the Death, Dying, Hunger, Sorrow, Misery of 1,000s to Millions FROM disease, starvation and Violence? Now this is news! How many more will die with this dithering and obfuscation of/By our Government CORPORATOCRACY by the words of Generals, The President, Congress? Why Don't WE Hear the Suffering Masses in the most unfortunate countries. These are the ones where America sticks it's 2 cents/3 trillions into the autonomous affairs WHERE IT HAS NO BUSINESS AT ALL! Elizabeth is Courageous in many respects, but it is the true victims of American hegemony who are truly the Courageous peoples of this World! Peace and Dignity for them is all we ask. Namaste.

October 26, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  18. CT RESI

She's a liar and a cheat just as bad as he is. Having cancer doesn't change that. She lied about him to everyone knowing the truth too, but wanted the political gain. They deserve each other.

October 26, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. Bob Beckner

What about this new medical discovery I saw on T V last night about reversing the cancer in the breast! It's some type of medical vaccine....I know I wasn't seeing things. I thinl I saw it on FOX; bou not sure! God Bless as he is there with you.......

October 26, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Michael in Las Vegas

I know you probably won't read this, but Elizabeth you are so right. I lost my wife to breast cancer last month after a 9 year long battle. What sustained us through it all, and sustaines me now, is the love story that was our life. We were not in the public eye, nor did we have the same challenges you and John face, but when you get right down to it, the love for and the support of a loving spouse makes the difference between you have cancer and cancer having you. As I closed my wife's lifeless eyes, I whispered to her, "darling you won, cancer doesn't get to go to heaven."
    So shut out the prying eyes of the public and live your life and your love to its fullest. With true love in your marriage, you will live longer than the count of years and better than so many who never know what true, supporting, forgiving love is. We don't have to love, we choose to love, so many just don't make that choice.

October 26, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. Lynn

I think she is punishing him by not letting him go. Her silent way of punishing the other woman also. Keeping them apart as long as possible. She probably knows what will happen when she is gone, but for a while she has control, whether she really loves him or not.

October 26, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. Blue

What a wonderful lady! With all of her struggles in life, she is still a lady one should respect.

October 26, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. AXH

This is a joke! Please, she's kidding herself and feeding who ever will listen a load of CRAP! That man cheated on her, period!

Give me a break!

Lizzy get some brains woman, any woman deserves better!!

October 26, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. Hmmm

I don't understand these wives talking publicly about their lives.

Why can't these people in public life leave the world stage and live their lives privately?

Especially when there are chilren involved.

I, too have gone through breast cancer. I admire Mrs. Edwards' courage, but please, please, Elizabeth – we dont' want or need to hear anymore about your husband's and your private lives.

Think of your children – both of you...

October 26, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  25. Sue

Im still waiting for her to acknowledge his "Love Child". She is so in denial.

October 26, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |