October 26th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: Marriage is a 'great love story'

John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.
John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Despite John Edwards' extramarital affair that rocked his marriage, his wife described their union as a "love story," albeit an unconventional one.

Elizabeth Edwards told WJLA-TV in Washington late last week that she wants her marriage to work, and that her husband has been supportive as she continues to battle breast cancer.

"John said, 'Perhaps not the great love story that we hoped, but maybe a great love story nonetheless," she said.

Edwards added: "'Til death do you part, because that's what I want."

Though Elizabeth promised to soldier on, she acknowledged the grim reality of trying to overcome terminal cancer.

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. Colorado Mom

People, where is your empathy for a lady who has stage 4 breast cancer? You people cannot let her fight this in peace, for what she has? You people have no heart? Isn't that what is wrong with America, no class, no values..... just crass, and crap. .... something to gossip about... and wag a finger....
    I am Sympathic and supporttive to Mrs. Edwards, without judgment which is not my business.
    Carol
    mom in Colorado

October 26, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Doug, New Jersey

Love is really not in the equation when there are two hard core liberals involved. I can only hope that Mrs. Edwards is a hard core liberal, being wrapped up in yourself and being focused on hating others seems to make one more numb to real emotions and focused on fake rage, hate, and anger of things that really only exist in your own mind.

October 26, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. lf

Ultimately it is how you handle the quality of life you have left to make it as happy as possible. The Best wishes for your brave spirit with all that has come your way.

October 26, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Aunt Bea and Opie

This far right wing conservatism is worse than cancer,if allowed to go unchecked,it will kill us all.The Corporate Fascists are the real enemies of the American people and the real antichrist will come from them.

October 26, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Zach K

John made a mistake. Adultery is not as bad as stealing money funds, selling a Senate seat, or even QUITTING like Palin.

I still support Edwards, he is still a great guy, and his mistake doesn't change my mind about him.

October 26, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. Jaycee

I cannot believe someone had the gall to call her pathetic. You people who are so holier than thou are the pathetic ones. She has lost a child, had to face her husband's indiscretions AND is terminally ill! Elizabeth Edwards is an incredibly brave woman. What a bunch of self righteous, judgmental and just plain hateful people.

October 26, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. James from Columbia, MO

Amazing: A tragic love story, perhaps? Have you ever read any real love stories that weren't published by Harlequin? Love is often tragic and full of pain. Maybe she'd rather focus on the time she has left that get embroiled in tabloid fodder.

October 26, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. RCasson

I strongly believe she would have left him if she were well, but no one wants to die alone. I will pray for Mrs. Edwards.

October 26, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  9. Sharilyn

There is really only one word for her on her description of their " great love story ".................pathetic.

October 26, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. kay

My hope for her is that she recovers from cancer, recovers her sense of self-respect, and moves on to a real love story. It can be done – but right now, she has only the strength to fight the cancer. I've lived that scenario.

October 26, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. brenda fort myers, fl

I do not think we should judge her or her family. She is sick and we should care about that. So many of the comments I have read are judgemental and cold. It's about what you think she should do.
    If she is happy and content, or perhaps at peace is that not what we would want for a loved one? Life is full of journeys, who our we to judge. I do not hear her asking for our input into her life decisions. I wish all of them peace. I wish for her to have happiness with her children, husband and extended family.
    I wish this for all of you as well.

October 26, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. Sandy

What an amazing woman. It may not always be easy to accept infidelity, but the choice is hers. And I'm sure she is looking at her marriage as a whole, not just this incident where her husband used very poor judgment. She also has to consider what is best for her children for the future. I truly admire her strength of character and love for her family.

October 26, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. Irene, KY

She's an honorable person, he is not. End of that story.

October 26, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  14. marzxyz

It's time for BOTH of the Edwards to get off the stage. Good luck and God bless.

October 26, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Diane

Why is any of this our business? Why should any of us even attempt to try to tell her what she should feel or do? If she wants to choose to love and give with the timem she has, good for her. Probably some of us should re-examine our own lives to see what we could be doing differently.

October 26, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. Leslie, NYC

Most veiwers fail to understand that John and Elizabeth Edwards, Hillary and Bill Clinton are all rare human beings, with intelect and records of public service and dedication that place them in a very rare subgroup in the population. When two such extrordinary people find each other and make a life together, they realize how lucky they are to lead such remarkable lives and share that with equally extraordinry people. Marital infidelity is very hurtful to those who are directly afected by it, but the bigger picture is that past and futrure achievements make some sacrifices tolerable. The sacrifice has been exacerbated by the public scrutiny.

October 26, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. Jonathan Love

Love never fails! People might, but love does not. Stay in your marriage, no matter what. It's easy to give in to the way the world does things: if it does not work I'll go find a new spouse. The break down of the family is why our children are so unbalanced, selfish and lost. The marriage covenant is between you and God to STAY with an imperfect person. I applaud you Elizabeth for remaining rooted in your faith. Besides, the everlasting life after cancer's demise is made that much sweeter because you decided to take a stand for what you believe is right.

October 26, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  18. Only Human Myself

I love my husband yet I see his imperfections as he sees mine. Our love is perfect in this imperfect world of judgement and stone throwing.

God Bless both John and Elizabeth Edwards.

October 26, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. francine

A great love story? I think not. Trust and fidelity would have gone hand in hand with a great love story. Though I find her to be courageous to be fighting Cancer, I wonder what message this sends to her children. Forgive if you want, but only after you have kicked his sorry butt to the curb !

October 26, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

It appears that in line with America becoming a disposable society, the " For better or For worse" crowd is dying off. This woman chose to stick it out. Regardless of whether she blamed the other woman or her husband, she took vows and, lo and behold, she's decided to stick to them. I've been married 26 years. Homocidal thoughts are NOT foreign to me in regards to my husband, however, I'm old school I guess. Who knows, maybe Elizabeth is exacting her own kind of revenge. There ARE fates worse than death!

October 26, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Carol from Wisconsin

I have stage four breast cancer. I'm being treated and my cancer is under controll, even if not cured. I love Elizabeth Edwards. She is part of my heart. It is not easy having stage four cancer. We can hope for years, but probably not decades. And we can't do it alone. Without my husband I would not have made it the last year. Life between husband and wife is sometimes mysterious. We are human. We fail and try to rise above our failures. My guess is that John is being very, very loving. I know what that is like from a husband at this time.

October 26, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. The Party of No = The Party of Nobody

As a two time breast cancer survivor and also someone who has "survived" more than one failed relationship, I can completely empathize with Ms. Edwards. Love goes through many transformations in our lifetimes and she is a very couragous woman. All of the mean-spirited, judgemental comments on this story are shameful. What is wrong with people these days??? Unless you've walked a mile in shoes like Elizabeth Edwards wears, you should just keep your nasty comments to yourself!

October 26, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  23. Blaine in OH

I feel sorry for her.

October 26, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. Steve (the real one)

Some of these responses are truly pathetic and sad. If his wife forgave him and if his God forgave him, why are some of you still holding on? You would be better off spending more time and attention to your loved ones than with this family! These are real people and not a day time drama! Politically, I don't like him with BUT Edwards is somebody's hushand, somebody's father, and somebody's son and friend! Let it go people, your hatred is absolutely ugly and it reflects poorly on YOU! As far as Mrs Edwards, she had been through much and certain "events" have piled on! Through it all, she has decided to love unconditionally! That is REAL LOVE! Some of you have no clue! Move on with YOUR lives!

October 26, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. Monica Cassano

I would venture to say she is suffering greatly and this is a way for her to cope....her husband is still a schmuk.

October 26, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |