October 26th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: Marriage is a 'great love story'

John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.
John and Elizabeth Edwards during the 2008 presidential campaign.

(CNN) – Despite John Edwards' extramarital affair that rocked his marriage, his wife described their union as a "love story," albeit an unconventional one.

Elizabeth Edwards told WJLA-TV in Washington late last week that she wants her marriage to work, and that her husband has been supportive as she continues to battle breast cancer.

"John said, 'Perhaps not the great love story that we hoped, but maybe a great love story nonetheless," she said.

Edwards added: "'Til death do you part, because that's what I want."

Though Elizabeth promised to soldier on, she acknowledged the grim reality of trying to overcome terminal cancer.

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. mabel floyd

when we take the vows of marriage we promise to stay through better or worse. hillary and elizabeth experienced both and when the unthinkable happened choose to keep their vows . i admire both–along with the c street wives who have stayed with their cheating husbands. the idea that if you stay with your husband you must become a pathetic figure as you obtain a divorce is silly.. if you stay you must bear the stigma of "marriage of convenience" - people get married for love–money–security–lust–because the women is pg–to get way from home–etc. it is absurd to try and decide the motives of two people who marry–and frankly it is none of our business. but their is nothing like the "family values" crowd to play one of their favorite games of judging others while patting themselves on their back as one of the Lords favorites. disgusting !!!!

October 26, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. Tara

It is a great love story...the story of Elizabeth Edwards' great love. Sometimes it is true..that a woman should have the courage to leave...but not always. And Elizabeth Edwards shows the courage to stay...and to love.

October 26, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. Jack in Florida

God Bless you Elizabeth! I admire you for following your vows, but your husband does not deserve you.

October 26, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. dave

such an amazing wonderful and brave woman..we can all learn a lot from her!

October 26, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  5. Steve (the real one)

Another thing some of you are making this political! This is about love and forgiveness, life and death! There are stories to argue over politics! This however, is NOT one of them! As much as I enjoy pulling some of your string over politics, I recognize politics is NOT the Savior of America (specifically) and mankind (generally). The republicans are not the Savior, neither are the democrats or independants. There is but ONE Savior for mankind! His name is JESUS!

October 26, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. Brenda

John Edwards is a bum, but you can't blame Elizabeth for trying to be as happy and stress free as she can with what little time she has.

The world is so full of cheaters that many have become numb to it and write it off as "it happens", "no one's perfect", "don't judge"...these are excuses and it's disgusting... if you don't want to be with the person you are with, grow a set, and leave. Have the compassion to let the other person find love again with someone more worthy.

October 26, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. JonDie

Not newsworthy.

October 26, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  8. L Summers

As cruel as this sounds, I wish she would stop pulling the cancer card. Even Stage IV cancer doesn't have the grim prognosis it once had. Bye her own admission that's true. ["Cancer will probably win,"]

The woman has deeper issues that surfaced long before her husband had an affair.

October 26, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. Beverly Chapman

A marriange is based on trust and this was broken by her husband. It is very sad that at this most difficult time in her life she has to deal with infidelity. A very bitter pill to take!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 26, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. Shu

I don't care if she forgave and stayed with him. What make this woman so pathetic is that she put her family's ambition first and lied for him to the DNC , the nation and to us. I wish she would just go away.

October 26, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. fredaoverton

I think that mrs.edwards is the bravest person. most women, cancer or not would put him out on his tush. shame on him.

October 26, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. R Hunter

Well isn't that special. He is a scumbag and it is too bad she is not in a position to do what has to be done.

October 26, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  13. Ross Pugitz

I could not have written this love story any better if I were Rox, Cockholtz and Company!

October 26, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. candy girl

Elizabeth Edwards is determined to leave this world as a martyr! That is her life and her decision. Some women/men (depending upon the situation) are bound by the old tribunal ways of life! I still feel that John Edwards is just another Mark Sanford, the only difference being, John Edwards chose to be unfaithful right here in the USA!! And you can bet that once Elizabeth Edwards is no longer on this earth, John Edwards will "run" to his "lover", and his "child", born of the "union", take his two younger children with him, and continue being what I call a "dysfunctional family unit"!!

October 26, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. NH Independent

Love story of Dumb and Dumber..........One can only imagine what kind of a role model she is for her daughters........like...stand by your man no matter what...even if he treats you like dog and has a baby with someone else and lies, lies, lies...........

October 26, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. es

Wow, speechless. Hmm, really? It's a great story, but love story, neah, probably not the story I would like my kids to read. I feel she deserves better, but she has to make it work for herself. if I was her I would do the same, but would not call it "a great love story" because it's sad and pathetic lie within lie on top of the lie.

October 26, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. CRamos

It is my desire the Edwards' and whatever the state of their marriage is in simply be kept to themselves. The American pubnlic no longer cares about this subject. We want the best for Ms. Edwards and even her husband, but the fact is he is a public liar and she supported his lie in order to gain the White House. Elizabeth/John good fortune to you and your family but keep yourselves out of the media from here on out. It does not make either of you appeal any better to the bulk of us and frankly it wrankles, just keep it to yourselves whether it is true or not.

October 26, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  18. barbara

Proof positive that a woman should be President...
    Dynamic, smart and strong
    Forgiveness also !
    The world could be a better place... really !

October 26, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  19. Ron

"Cancer will probably win," she said. "Why would I give it anymore days than it may already take? That's the choice I make." Thank you Elizabeth for this wonderful approach to life. I too am a cancer survivor. If we spend the rest of our lives, however long or short, worrying about cancer, fearing cancer, we might as well be dead now, because we are losing the only life we have: the present moment. Yes, maybe cancer will win in the end, in your life and mine. But maybe not. We never know how we will go.
    You are an inspiration to many. Thank you.

October 26, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. Daniel-Ray Carothers

I have enormous respect for Elizabeth Edwards. Hats off to her for following her own heart and doing what she believes is best for her and her family.

I admire the woman very much for her strength, courage and fight to stay alive. She is one of life's many heroes for the rest of us.

All the best to her and Senator Edwards.

October 26, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. Angela

Those of you that do not understand for better or for worse are not in long term marriages and probably...if married will never be for long. I am divorced,; but if I knew then what I know now, I would still be married. There are no perfect marriages....cause there are nop perfect people.....and I have seen a marriage that has not had a fracture with fidelity.

October 26, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. mary

This is their private life, who are we to judge? Any of us walk in either of their shoes lately? Any of us struggling with cancer? Any of us living with a spouse who has cancer? Brave of us to say how we would/will/might or might not handle a situation. Until you live it, don't be the first to throw the first stone. Forgiveness is a grace, we should all use it more often.

October 26, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. Jerry

This women is illand should see a doctor and her husband should see a divorce lawyer today.

October 26, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  24. Peter s

Thanks Elizabeth!! you understand marriage is sacred! it not about money!!. your are a hero to many !!

October 26, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. Faye

Great love story? Nope. Definitely not. I'm not judging their marriage but the way I see it, if the marriage has one person in it who has an affair and a child from that relationship, this would appears to immediately disqualify it from the "great love story" category. Having said that, I don't think she's pathetic at all – I feel really bad for her. She's suffered through some pretty bad tragedies in her life and a cheating husband is nothing compared to the loss of a son and being diagnosed with terminal cancer. She doesn't have the objectivity of a healthy person who can "kick" their cheating spouse to the curb and start afresh. Whether we agree that it is or isn't the right thing to do, it's her choice, and as long as love motivated her choice, it will never be a bad example for her children. So just leave her be.

October 26, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |