October 27th, 2009

Grayson spokesman defends 'whore' comment

(CNN) - A spokesman for Florida Rep. Alan Grayson is defending the outspoken congressman's recent comment calling an aide to Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke a "K Street whore."

The comments - directed toward Bernanke aide Linda Robertson - came during a radio interview a month ago but are just now circulating Capitol Hill.

Grayson spokesman Todd Jurkowski said the congressman's comments came in response to an attack from Robertson over the his support of a GOP-backed bill to audit the Federal Reserve.

"She actually questioned his understanding of the difference between fiscal and monetary policy," he said in a statement to CNN. "She had the audacity to attack a congressman who used to be an economist. She's a career lobbyist who used to work for Enron and advocates for whatever she gets paid to promote."

Jurkowski also questioned why the comments are making news a month after the interview aired.

"Why is this coming up now? This interview happened weeks ago. This is just another way for the NRCC to attack their number 1 target," he said.

The comments are the latest in a string of controversial statements from the freshman congressman, who last month angered Republicans but became a hero to the left when he declared on the House floor that the GOP health care plan is to let sick people "die quickly."

Related: Liberals see health care hero in freshman Florida lawmaker

Several Democrats have said Grayson's language describing Robertson was inappropriate.

"Is this news to you that this guy's one fry short of a Happy Meal?" New York Rep. Anthony Weiner told Politico.

Weiner later issued a statement calling his remark about Grayson 'playful' and said the Florida Democrat is "a friend and an extraordinary member of Congress."

The Republican National committee also weighed in on the comments, calling them "disgraceful, inappropriate and disrespectful to women."

Follow Alex Mooney on Twitter @awmooneycnn

Filed under: Alan Grayson • Popular Posts
  1. S Callahan

The Federal Reserve should be audited...though it's a private company it has meshed itself into American buisness (political/financial) and made it's self the titer of the economy....the characters that are part of it's private (long term) sure have some explaining to do when the Good Lord returns!

October 27, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. Kevin in Ohio

Political Correctness does not apply to the liberal left wing, I guess. The hypocrisy of the so-called "progressives" is amazing.

October 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. Pepou

Go Alan. You are my hero.

October 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  4. ANGIE

He's giving the revolting repugs what they have been dishing for months. Keep up the good work.

October 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  5. Brook E. Mantia

Grayson's just keeping it real.

October 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. P Murphy

Whatever happened to civility. Hearing someone call others names, four letter or otherwise, just cheapens that person in my mind. Perhaps they could look in a thesaurus for a similar name that had some flash instead of the old cliches! Ooops, I am assuming he knows what a thesaurus is?

October 27, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  7. WAS

What an absolute idiot. Oh and by the way, I am a Democrat, not a Republican. This lame brain is an absolute disgrace to the party and to all Americans.

October 27, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  8. Tommygunn

Wow.....I guess the REPUBLICANs aren't the only ones that can speak their minds.....

The difference so far is Grayson is right with is statements with facts to back it....while the REPUBLICANs are just making suggestive statements to make their case with no supportive facts.

Hmmmm....

October 27, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Matt

Grayson what if I said those words about your Mom or your wife? Not funny is it? And to all the idiots that think this behavior is OK there is a difference between being direct and being a pig.

Being direct is fine and encouraged, being a hateful pig is why he should be removed.

October 27, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. No shame

I am glad for Grayson finally a counter argument against the screamers on the right. Everytime they say anything ignorant they will say" it wasn't meant that way " and leave it like that. Well enjoy repubs!

October 27, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. Dave C - NJ

The comments these guys make on talk shows such as Bill Maher, Hardball, the radio, Colbert, are in the context of the show.

Classy? No. A big deal? No...it was in a media outlet, not the floor of the Senate.

Don't forget: Joe Wilson was wrong. And interrupted the President.

Apples and Oranges.

October 27, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. munchmom

And people complained about Rush and Glenn Beck??? Give me a break and a bar of soap to wash this loud mouth's mouth out!

October 27, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. MariaC

His comments were not half as abrasive as Karl Rove's over the years. The Republicans are just behaving like typical bullies....they can dish it out, but when somebody gives them a black eye, they run to mama, crying.

October 27, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  14. MS

Why am I always reading news condeming republicans for not participating in bi-partisan politics? If only some news organization would print the truth...

October 27, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  15. Ken, Melbourne FL

You cannot imagine how delighted I am that Alan Grayson is NOT my Congressman. Apparently, he believes being controversial, insensitive, mysogynistic, and just downright rude will win him re-election in his Republican-leaning district. I also took undergraduate courses in economics (I minored in economics, as a matter of fact); I guess that means I, too, worked as an economist when I was asked my opinion on economic issues after graduation. NOT! This is a brazen, sexist insult; it's disingeuous to argue he really meant the second dictionary definition. It's time for Grayson to zip the lip and let the adults take care of Congress' business.

October 27, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. Stephen Johnson

Finally an honorable Democrat who has the backbone to call the republicans for she/they are!! Allen Grayson for president in 2012!!!

October 27, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  17. awestruck

Hey look, another Barney Frank in the making. I just bet he is the pride of the democrats.

October 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. GOP - Leave already

This man has the guts to say what needs to be said. Conservatives HATE America so much that they think the banks and corporate interests should have free reign over our country.

October 27, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. Jorge

Mr Grayson is going to have to stop talking with the truth all the time. America can't handle the truth and if he doesn't stop, I'll be going broke because he makes me issue another check of money I don't have, but to me, having the truth back from exile for so many years is real refreshing and I hope that PR or polically correctness die soon. The truth should set you free and Mr Grayson has become the oracle of Florida. Go get them tiger!

October 27, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. Jules

The right can say anything they want and people are "shocked" but they go right on telling lies and distorting everything, what have they done lately? Nothing constructive. The last eight years were total destruction. Now Garyson comes along and tells the truth and calls them out and they run crying to mama like babies, then start tellinmg their lies again, right ! Family values my foot!! Their idea of family values are incest!

October 27, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  21. amy

Grayson's not a smooth talker, but this guy is FANTASTIC! He is a game changer & we need more like him.

October 27, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. Carl

As a Florida resident, I'm quite frankly, embarassed by Congressman Grayson. Yet another liberal Democrat who believes that Government is the solution to all problems. Tell me, Mr. Congressman, where exactly in the Constitution (you know...the supreme law of the land you swore an solemn oath to support and defend?) do you get the authority to take over control health care (among the plethora of industries this government has decided to take over)? Your responsibilities and therefore your authority are limited by Article I of the Constitution. How about reading that document? Oh, I forgot, Congressmen can't read any more...

Oh, and for all you other left-wing liberal revolutionaries...if you disagree with the Constitution, amend it.

Now then, for those of us conservatives who maintain the "adult" perspective on reality, how do we go about challenging the constitutionality of all of these recent take-overs? It's time the Supreme Court started carrying out ITS Constitutional responsibilities!

October 27, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  23. Where is NOW....?

They should be all over this....where's Oprah....where's Joy Behar?
    Let's go ladies......nail Grayson.

October 27, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  24. Fed Up

Where did this guy go to school? Did they not teach him words to use? Or did he not attend classes? I certainly don't want my kids going to any school that this man attended. If it was a private school, his parents certainly wasted their money.

October 27, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. Patrick

Finally a congressman with the stones to stand up for what is right. Dems need to take his lead.

October 27, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |