November 1st, 2009

Boehner promises GOP health care bill

Washington (CNN) – With debate poised to begin in the House this week on Democrats’ nearly 2000-page health care reform bill, House Minority Leader John Boehner said Sunday that House Republicans intend to present their own health care bill.

“We are going to have a proposal,” the Ohio Republican said Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union, “And I would hope that the [House] Speaker [Nancy Pelosi] will allow us to have a debate and a vote on our proposal.”

Boehner added that this party intends to take eight or nine different ideas for health care reform currently available on www.healthcare.gop.gov and craft them into a single bill that Republicans will propose an alternative to the Democratic bill unveiled last Thursday.

Boehner also laid out for CNN Chief National Correspondent John King some of the key attributes of the GOP plan. “We do not increase taxes, we do not cut Medicare and Medicaid and we do not have mandates on individuals or businesses.”

Boehner also had a number of criticisms of the Democratic bill debuted late last week.

“This not affordable,” Boehner said as he patted a copy of the Democratic health care bill, “What this is going to do is bankrupt America. It’s going to cost millions of Americans their jobs and cut benefits for seniors. This is not what the American people want. They want a more gradual approach to fixing our current system.”

Related: House Democrats unveil $894 billion health care bill

Filed under: GOP • Health care • House • John Boehner • State of the Union
  1. They call me "tater salad"

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but, wasn't it just yesterday this bufoon was chirping on about how the Republicans "HAVE" the only workable plan? Now suddenly they're scrambling to "COME UP" with one soon! ...............And some of you still choose to believe in these lying, hypocrits! I can't think of anything more PATHETIC!!!.........Proud American you ask?..................Not so much!.........

November 1, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. DSA

This guy is pathetic! The insurance companies have him and the rest of the Republi-cons so deep in their pockets it's unreal! They have nothing to offer middle America. Everything they do is for big business.

No public option...no re-election!

November 1, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. John MacDaniel, Huntsville AL

We have already had 12 years of a 'republican health care' attitude, and just sitting around and saying "NO!" will not get anything done to improve the situation that these idiots have created for us.

If they propose to give the American people the same health plan that is now in place for themselves in the congress and the senate, then I would be prone to vote for that proposal, but you can rest assured that the plan that comes out from their side will do NOTHING to aid the need for a greater 'universal' health care plan being passed in my lifetime, since I am now a very young 81 years of age.

November 1, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. Larry

Hey Boehner ...

You and your party are simply a bunch of liars who don't give a crap about this country or it's people

PERIOD

November 1, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. Doug - Dallas

Boehner and the rest of the Republicans have had months to come up with the proposal. Actually they had the last eight years to propose health care reform and nothing happened, so I wouldn't hold my breath. This will be the same as their budget proposal; twelve pages and no numbers.

When the American public wonders why nothing can get done in Washington, they only have to look at what's going on now to see why. And they wonder why we are so mad??????????????

November 1, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. Terry from West Texas

Boehner is like a freshman student who is always late with his homework. He promised us a complete Republican budget months ago, but so far nothing. Now he's promising us a health care program. I suspect it will be a one-page list of "free-market" platitudes and tort reform.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me hundreds of times over five decades and I must be a Republican voter.

November 1, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. Ed

Ok, fury and names aside, what do you all think about these items in teh new bill:

The Congerssional budget office says the public plans "would typically have premiums that are somewhat higher than the average premiums for private plans".
    Makers of the crucial medical devices that Americans need will be subject to an extra tax on every device they make.
    Medicaid, and particularly seniors plans, get a significant cut in this bill.
    People who earn high incomes (who also may keep their current insurance and reap no benefits from this legislation) would pay another 5.4 percent of thier income to finance it.

Thoughts?

November 1, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. m jeff

Tax credits won't work because the Insurance Industry will continue to raise premiums.

November 1, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. Peter E

That's the GOP for you. They whine and protest, and yet have no idea of their own. Their alternate 'budget' proposal was a 16 page outline with no numbers. NO NUMBERS! In a BUDGET proposal! Their health care 'plan' was a 3 page outline, also without numbers, and over three quarters of the ideas in it were stolen verbatim from the Obama health care plan. They don't have an alternative! Maybe if they took their job seriously and stop wasting my tax dollars that pay for their salaries (and btw, their health care too!!!) maybe I would consider listening to them. Until then, they should be ignored!

November 1, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  10. D. Tree

The Democratic bill saves the most money AND brings down the deficit – if Boehner really had a better idea, they would have shown it by now.

And yet, the GOP cries about having to read a long bill but Boehner still refuses to post the GOP bill for 72 hours like he asks the Democrats to do!

November 1, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Donna from Colorado Springs

John Boehner couldn't find his rear end with two hands and a flashlight, and he expects us to believe that the Republicans now have their own healthcare plan? Give me a break! They may have a ridiculous plan that covers nothing and covers noone, but other than that, they have nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 1, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  12. FRANK, Las Vegas

How many times have we heard this lie before Mr. Boner? Remember the GOP Budget that didn't have any numbers in it.

To CNN, what kind of a so-called reporter is John King? Mr. Boner continues to state bold faced lies and King doesn't challenge him once. Mr. Boner has bee saying the GOP plan will be out in just a week or two for 8 months now. Now he refers everyone to a web site and guess what, is says nothing! It's just a word salad and John King, your so-called reporter sits there like a bump on a long. So CNN, if you still can't understand why your ratings are falling, take a look at your reporters.

November 1, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Andy

I just finished reading the Pelosi bill and the hodpodge of republican acts and bills via the link in the main story here.

The Pelosi bill is complete. It should be read by every American who can vote. The republican "Acts" along with several other bills with limited republican only co-sponsors needs to put into the same form as the Pelosi bill so we can see it in its entirety. As it stands right now, the Republicans don't have a "Bill" that can be reviewed.
    Why is that? They have had the same amount of time that the democrats had, but they haven't done the work. If you don't believe me just follow the link and see for yourselves.
    Boehner said today on TV that they would present a bill this week. I don't think that they can do it. They have been sitting around sniping at Pelosi and Reid and thay haven't been working on a Health care bill. Why is that? Just talking about someone elses bill is a waste of our time. PUT IT IN WRITING OTHERWISE IT DON'T COUNT!
    I want to see a finished and complete republican bill so I can compare the differences with the finished Pelosi bill. It's exhausting to have to read all of their proposed "Acts" that may or may not be in their final bill.
    The republicans need to get down to work on this or SHUT IT. Maybe they don't want to propose a real health Care bill. Maybe they aren't up to doing it. Maybe they can't agree amongst themselves. Maybe their just not smart enough to do it. Maybe they don't intend to do it.
    If they don't intend to finish a bill on paper for all to see, then they have nothing to offer and will be in no position to argue.
    President Obama told them in his State of the Union Address that he wanted it done. They have sat around for 10 months doing nothing about it while the house and senate democrats have been working on it.
    The minority republican party is so angry at losing power, that they just decided not to do any work anymore. They remind me of when I was a kid and I would get mad at my parents and cross my arms and just sit there with a long face, angry at the world. A swift yank up out of that chair and then a good smack to my rear end would soon follow and I would be loaded down with so many chores to do that I thought it would kill me. As soon as I changed my attitude, things would be back to normal.
    This is what the republicans need. They need a good kick-in-the-rear end and be told to get to work on a Health Care bill or be sent home for good where they can sit in the corner and mop with their long faces all by themselves.
    No more stalling and wasting time. Show us something!

November 1, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  14. Joanna in PA

How many months has the GOP been saying this? Still nothing... Oh wait let me guess, block individuals right to sue, the ability to purchase health insurance across state line with no other regulations. Same as the campaign. .

November 1, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. Sam

What a joke (from the party of "no.) No clue? No details? No data? No(n)sense?

November 1, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  16. Health Ins Employee/MN resident

Imperfect as it may be, the Democrats are at least ofering something that can be amended later.The Republicans said back in June that their plan was due any day and now that the Dems have actually come up with something, the Repubs are hastily putting together whatever they can as a lame alternative. I work for UnitedHealth Group. As an employee,I can tell you our coverage is just terrible. The best plan has a $4k deductible for families. I make less than $35k a year. If I am eligible, I will take the plan offered by the Dems, even if it is years away from implementation.

November 1, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. zap01

It'll be a short bill... "Everyone must buy health insurance or pay fine."

November 1, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |