November 1st, 2009

Limbaugh questions if Obama, Democrats care about America

(CNN) - Rush Limbaugh brought his popular vitriol to national television Sunday, calling President Barack Obama unqualified and questioning if Obama and other Democrats care about the nation's well-being.

In a rare television interview, on the "FOX News Sunday" program, the conservative talk radio superstar declared himself worried about America's future under Obama and said he wondered if the president and the Democratic Party wanted to hurt - rather than help - the country.

"We've never seen this kind of radical leadership at such a high level of power in the in the country," Limbaugh said. "I believe that the economy is under siege, is being destroyed. Anybody with any economic literacy would not do one thing this administration's done to try to revitalize the private sector. They're destroying it.

"… And I have to think that it may be on purpose, because this is just outrageous, what is happening - a denial of liberty, an attack on freedom."

In other comments, Limbaugh called Obama "immature," "a child," "narcissistic" and "over his head." He called Obama's pre-dawn trip to Dover Air Force Base last week to view the dignified transfer of war dead from Afghanistan a "photo op."

Asked to respond, Obama's senior adviser, David Axelrod, called Limbaugh an entertainer.

"I think it's a surreal day when you're getting lessons in humility from Rush Limbaugh," Axelrod said on the CBS program "Face the Nation."

"We'll let Mr. Limbaugh fulminate. I think the American people are well served and believe they're well served."

Also Sunday, independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut said on the same program that he rejected Limbaugh's characterization of Obama's trip to view the return of war dead.

"I just totally disagree with him," Lieberman said of Limbaugh, adding: "I was proud that my president was there."

For his part, Limbaugh attacked every policy, action and motivation of the Obama administration.

He said the third quarter economic growth reported this week was all due to government intervention - from the Cash for Clunkers program and homebuyers' tax credit - rather than actual private sector expansion.

Obama was delaying a decision on more troops for Afghanistan for political reasons, Limbaugh said, and health care reform is a thinly disguised Democratic attempt to gain government control of one-sixth of the economy, he said.

He derided Democrats on security issues, saying they cared more about their political well-being than protecting the country.

"I hate to be honest with you here, but I do question their commitment to national security," Limbaugh said. "I question their commitment to the U.S. military. They'll put their political survival and their political power being gained over anything else. They'll use anybody and throw anybody away in order to achieve it."

His comments Sunday included a personal glimpse, with Limbaugh saying his treatment from drug addiction helped him deal with feelings of personal inadequacy.

At the same time, Limbaugh confirmed his latest contract could earn him $400 million, and he claimed credit for launching conservative talk radio and the eventual existence of a wide range of right-leaning media outlets.

Filed under: Democrats • Popular Posts • President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Brian Edmison

As stated, Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. He's a worse comedian than Jay Leno and knows less about politics than him as well.

November 1, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Drug addled gas bag

Why is anything Rush said news? He is a well fed corporate buffoon that will say anything it is instructed to. Therefore this isn't news.

November 1, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. Adelita

I'd suggest ignoring him, but it's difficult to ignore someone who's foaming at the mouth.

November 1, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. jts

I really don't know what to say.

If this man represents the hopes and aspirations of millions of Americans, then America is in a sad state of affairs. He is not open minded. He is niether fair nor balanced. He has very little to offer to move this country forward.

He's the kid in the back of the room who blows spitballs at the teacher's back while at the board. He get all of the attention he wants and amuses many of the other kids in class who think he's the greatest. But he disrupts the progress that real students are interested in making.

November 1, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. Chris

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize that Rush had a degree in economics. Or any degree for that matter...

November 1, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. Linda in Texas

Rush is in it for the money and entertainment value. What really disturbs me is how bitter the republicans are and how they would rather sacrifice my country and my values for their own personal gains. As they continue to get publicity from the media, they think they represent my ideals but they do not. The big fat cats from the Bush era caused most of the mess we are in financially but they will not own up to it. I am an American and would die for my country if needed. I will fight against these radicals the same as any terrorist whether they are home grown or not.

November 1, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  7. vmarsha

I dont think he ever stopped taking oxycontin. He's just a bully who is mad because the players of the NFL stood up to him and didn't let him have his way. He should know by now besides FOXNEWS and its radical supporters, the rest of the sane country doesn't like all that hate he spews out of that giant pie hole.

November 1, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  8. John from Ohio

Rush's sanity is definitely in question.

November 1, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. Lisa Smith

Come on... Does anyone that can actually think for themselves care what Rush thinks? It's a sad day in our society when a blowhard like Limbaugh gets any amount of press at all. Please stop giving him a platform for which to preach his venom and lies. Ignorance breeds ignorance, and that's all he is succeeding in doing.

November 1, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  10. Ahh Republicans..

The fact that 40% of the country are putting their hopes & dreams into the combined brain power of Rush & Palin shows that one thing is for certain – our educational system could use further improvement.

In the 3rd quarter our economy is finally coming out of the slump left to us by Bush & Co, yet Rush wants to continue to cry wolf.

I'm glad that I live in a country where everyone has the freedom to speak, but i'm saddend that someone like Rush could gain such a large and ignoorant following.

November 1, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. nancy

He speaks the truth!

November 1, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  12. chad

i watch part of that garbage.
    rush said 20 or 30 percent of the country hates him.
    he really is crazy.
    if that were true he is the most popular figure in politics.
    please.

November 1, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  13. Donald Plumb

Rush represents Rush and the MAJORITY of Americans. He tells the truth and I challenge any of you libs to prove otherwise. Debate facts and stop name calling or is that truly all you are able to do?

November 1, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. Mike Pietras

Rush Limbaugh is a joke
    He did not serve and yet he questions the President's bestowing of honor on the returning serviceman and servicewomen.
    He should be called to task every time he opens his mouth and inserts his foot.
    I would love to debate him one on one without all his backup that he uses.

November 1, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  15. Clint, Lynnwood, Wa.

Who is this Rush Limbaugh guy, and what does he do for a living?

November 1, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. Dan

Rush Limbaugh is just a radio personality, regardless of what republicants think. He is as influential in actual policy making and politics as Howard Stern, but isn't as entertaing, and doesn't have as many listeners.

November 1, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. Mr. Meteoritical

Obama is a Harvard-graduate lawyer. Oooooh! How radical!

Just think of all those revolutionaries who came out of Harvard Law! LOL

Limbaugh is insane. Please stop reporting his nonsensical ravings.

November 1, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. Jane

I cannot believe that not one of these comments don't agree with Rush this is not balanced reporting

November 1, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  19. Tony

He's the one that uses the whole "You don't love this country" argument as a weapon – which ironically is the surest sign that one doesn't love this country.

November 1, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  20. Robert Kunard

Yes Rush is an entertainer, however, before he "entertains" you and everyone who listens, he does an awful lot of research. What research have you done? I've done mine and I agree with some thing our President has done and disagree with others. The economy and how he is treating OUR Military is absolutely childish and immature

November 1, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  21. once upon a horse

so Rush makes 400 millon dollars huh? Well last I looked there were thousands of Americans out of work, some even laid off from the company that produces his radio show. I wonder how many of them lost their jobs so Rush can fatten his pockets. Unless he is one of these behind the scenes donors that doesn't want publicity, I have NEVER seen Rush Limbaugh do anything for anybody but Rush. And he claims the Dems and the president don't like America. Ball players, entertainers, and even some former presidents have come out to give back to the community..charities and all. Let me know when the next "Rush Limbaugh Charity Golf Open" is and perhaps I'll change my mind.

November 1, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  22. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Rush is just picking up where he's buddy Cheney left off after VP Biden shut him down. Rush's hatred has backfired on him big time and he still doesn't get it, thank God for the NFL saying NO to Rush. No credibility in Rush, just drugs, hate and anger and he's too old to act like a child.

November 1, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. Michael

Typical right wing conservative non-sense

November 1, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  24. Independent

President Obama cares more about this Country that Rush does...

Rush doesn't even know or have any compassion for other people...Why people listen to him is beyond me...

Chris Wallace you are not your Father that is for sure...Do you ever watch yourself after a show and listen to the things that you say??? What a total waste of air time...

November 1, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  25. Bonnie

President Obama will not dirty himself and stoop to the level of this person. He is so much better than that. His dog Bo is better than that.

November 1, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |