November 2nd, 2009

GOP congresswoman says health care bill scarier than terrorism

GOP congresswoman says health care bill scarier than terrorism.
GOP congresswoman says health care bill scarier than terrorism.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A Republican congresswoman said Monday on the House floor that she believes Americans have more to fear from the Democrats' health care bill "than we do from any terrorist right now in any country."

Rep. Virginia Foxx of North Carolina said people in her home district tell her they are frightened of the health care bill expected to be debated by the House as soon as this week.

"I share that fear, and I believe they should be fearful," Foxx said, "And I believe the greatest fear that we all should have to our freedom comes from this room - this very room - and what may happen later this week in terms of a tax increase bill masquerading as a health care bill.

"I believe we have more to fear from the potential of that bill passing than we do from any terrorist right now in any country."

The Democratic National Committee immediately criticized Foxx, calling her comments "outrageous" and comparing them to Sarah Palin's previous warning about death panels in regard to a Democratic proposal for voluntary counseling on living wills and other end-of-life decisions.

"Sadly, these inexplicable comments represent what is now the mainstream of a Republican Party that has been hijacked by an extremist far right-wing faction that craves ideological purity, will purge dissent, and offer nothing but reactionary opposition to progress," DNC spokesman Brad Woodhouse said in a statement.

Aaron Groen, a spokesman for Foxx, said she was speaking "off the cuff" in her comments in the House chamber.

At a later news conference, House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio responded to a question about Foxx's remarks by saying that "members are entitled to their opinions."

When pressed, Boehner shrugged, then turned to House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence, R-Indiana, and said: "This is when they get the Boehner shrug."

Pence later told CNN he had no comment on Foxx's "particular turn of phrase, but I will say, around Indiana, out around this country, people are very, very concerned about an effort to launch a new government run insurance plan."

"I think that people in Washington sometimes don't always get how concerned the American people are about borrowing and spending and the deficits," Pence said. "It is generating strong emotions. Members of Congress are not immune from those strong emotions, but I have to say that the people's House ought to resonate with what's happening in the hearts and minds of the American people."

–CNN's Deirdre Walsh contributed to this story.

Filed under: Extra • Health care • Popular Posts
  1. StevieB

I am seriously beginning to wonder which is rarer: A moderate republican, a non-white republican or a sane republican.

November 2, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Bob in the fifth

I unfortunately live in Foxx's district and have noticed that she has been on the wrong side of EVERY issues since she was elected .... if she doesn't like Government run health care, I suggest she and her fellow Republican Congressional colleagues drop out of the best Government run health care program in the world, namely their Congressional federal health care coverage .... no need to be hypocritical.

November 2, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  3. Karl in SLC

It's time for the dinosaurs on the right to be voted out of office. Who are the nimrods voting for these people?

November 2, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. tjaman

I do agree with her that private health insurers are terrorists ...

November 2, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  5. Joanna in PA

Oh dear God will these fools ever stop!! Enough of this garbage!! Really health care reform is worse than terrorism?? GET A LIFE!!

November 2, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  6. Dean

Lies and Fear what the GOP does best.

November 2, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  7. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

A Republican Congresswoman from North Carolina calling a program to help the people scarier than terrorism? No, the only thing scarier is a Republican Congresswoman from North Carolina trying to scare people for the sake of partisan politics!!!

BE AFRAID........BE VERRRRRRRY AFRAID!!!!!!!!!!!! (The slogan never changes, does it?!)

November 2, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. Tim, Seattle

HA! What a joke.
    A GOP hack who:

– Is paid By Tax Payers
    – Protects the banks instead of TAx PAyers
    -Gets her medical care from a Government taxpayer-paid program
    -Gets Social Security benefits from a government run- taxpayer funded program
    -Uses taxpayer money to travel

HIPPOCRITE!!!!

November 2, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  9. mary

I can't believe that so many people are against this health care bill.
    I don't hear anybody complaining about our medicare now.
    Isn't this the same insurance.
    Republicans are just scared for their pockets will be lighter because they wont be padded with money from insurance companies.
    give me medicare any day than the insurance I have now.

November 2, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. pinkslips4Congress

Mary-if you are on Medicare I hope you don't have "2 or more chronic diseases" as listed on pages 725-726 of H.R. 3962 because the bill is clear about payments. Go ahead, check it out...

November 2, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. Dan

The absolute truth! We have social security and medicare going broke soon and you have the donkies wanting to spend more than 1 trillion dollars on another failed government run program. What blows my mind are the ultra liberal comments here on how this bill is needed. I guess it shows someone has to represent the bottom of the gene pool.....

November 2, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  12. bcdc

As an Independent I read cnn, msnbc, and fox to try and get a real mix of what is out there. I have a real problem the way many republicans act. But after reading the comments on this article, by I have to believe mostly Democrats (because it is so obvious CNN censors) it just confirms how so many Democrats have been brain washed. USA will never be anywhere close to being united again until people do not rely on others to think for them.

November 2, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. Bob

Perhaps Cogress should be told that their employer has decided to drop their health care coverage and they will now be responsible for obtaining their own insurance. Lets see how long it takes to get a national healthcare plan enacted and who votes against it.

November 2, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  14. Ernie

It's hard to believe so many comments criticize Foxx. I can only guess that most of these folks are happy to get free rides on the government (i.e., taxpayers other than them selves) or they are just blind to the financial hole which the democratic party is sending this country (which will bite these people in the butt in a few years).

November 2, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  15. R. Grayson

Here is the fear:
    1) When all they had to do was mail out a check (in the cash for clunkers) this administration managed to spend $24,000 per car.
    2) The same folks are bragging about creating or "saving" 650,000 jobs. Problem is if you look at the number of dollars spent and divide it out - each of those jobs cost $240,000.

I already pay $1200 / month for health insurance, and I'm glad to have it. I am afraid I won't be able to afford what the democrats replace it with. Their track record so far is not very good.

Notice that people without intelligence, evidence or arguments (on both sides) just call names.

November 2, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  16. 2quietloud

Surely providing healthcare to at least half the population of the USA can't be as painstakingly difficult as they make it out to be.

November 2, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  17. Insane GOP

Fantastic and UnBelievable and Completely Stupid–>GOP more afraid of accessible and affordable health care than they are of 9-11 terrorism. The GOP actually fans the flames of DOMESTIC TERRORISM calling it Patriotic to assassinate the President. and A constitutional right to bring assault weapons to Presidential meetings.

If the GOP is more afraid of health care than terrorism–then in their funding they should cut the budget for the War on Terror and build the budget for survival in the 21st Century–education, wellness and energy.

Why does the GOP protect Wall Street over Main Street?

Why do we pay 30% over market value for the same drug in the same bottle made by the same drug company? Because the GOP protects Wall Street profits not the health and wealth of American Families.

November 2, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  18. Tony

In a way she's right. The bill looks like it won't change the status quo much–a status quo in which thousands die per year because of lack of health coverage. So yeah, the health crisis is worse than terrorism several times over, and this bill probably won't change much. That is scary.

But that's probably not what she meant.

November 2, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  19. Deb

NO what is really scary is having your private insurance company decide that they will no longer cover your terminal illness.. or that you aren't sick enough by their standards to be on a transplant list. What is it with the GOP and their fear mongering? Really?... healthcare for those who have none is more scary than terrorists?? I'm taking it this woman has fantastic taxpayer paid health care.

November 2, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  20. Anonymous

That extremist far right faction is speaking for me... a conservative family in the suburbs of LA. The DNC continues to marginalize the people that don't want this legislation.

November 2, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  21. NB

This country has some messed up priorities. We don't to pay to fix health care, we don't want to pay for our kids to be educated, we don't want to invest in clean energy, but we have no problem with spending billions and trillions on wars and going to the moon! We deserve whatever comes our way!

November 2, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. Anonymous

from reading these comments you get the sense that fair and balanced is easier to find on Fox than here on CNN. Almost all comments are liberal. What does that tell you?

November 2, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. Robin in Tampa, FL

Congresswoman Foxx is saying crazy things again? I guess her district has a lot of folks over 65 who are on Medicare ....

November 2, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  24. Obamacare is terrorism - aganst seniors

The Congresswoman is spot on correct

Obamacare is terrorism – against seniors; against our freedom of choice; against our economy; against capitalism and free markets; against our very way of life. The Dems and Obama are reckless and Obama's closet mentor, Jeramiah Wright is a danger to all Americans

November 2, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  25. John from NC 5

I am from NC 5, and I can tell you that while Virginia Foxx is my representative in Congress, she is not representative of my views and the views of a great many of my fellow citizens in NC 5. NC 5 is designed to be a republican leaning district made up of a lot of poverty stricken, poorly educated precincts. Like many places in America, the people here vote on fear, which is why she is successful with little stunts like this. I worked for her Democratic opponent in 2004 and was truly outraged, sickened, and saddened at the pure ignorance that voters spewed at me when I was trying to hand out information about him in her home county. They were so ready to vote Republican that they screamed self-contradictions at me when I tried to hand them information on a very moderate Democrat. Most voters only read the blurbs in the news, and they do very little research themselves about anything. They simply listen to people that say things they are comfortable hearing. That, my fellow Americans, is why this country is in trouble. Many of our fellow voters are not doing their homework, and the whole world is suffering.

November 2, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |