November 2nd, 2009

GOP congresswoman says health care bill scarier than terrorism

GOP congresswoman says health care bill scarier than terrorism.
GOP congresswoman says health care bill scarier than terrorism.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A Republican congresswoman said Monday on the House floor that she believes Americans have more to fear from the Democrats' health care bill "than we do from any terrorist right now in any country."

Rep. Virginia Foxx of North Carolina said people in her home district tell her they are frightened of the health care bill expected to be debated by the House as soon as this week.

"I share that fear, and I believe they should be fearful," Foxx said, "And I believe the greatest fear that we all should have to our freedom comes from this room - this very room - and what may happen later this week in terms of a tax increase bill masquerading as a health care bill.

"I believe we have more to fear from the potential of that bill passing than we do from any terrorist right now in any country."

The Democratic National Committee immediately criticized Foxx, calling her comments "outrageous" and comparing them to Sarah Palin's previous warning about death panels in regard to a Democratic proposal for voluntary counseling on living wills and other end-of-life decisions.

"Sadly, these inexplicable comments represent what is now the mainstream of a Republican Party that has been hijacked by an extremist far right-wing faction that craves ideological purity, will purge dissent, and offer nothing but reactionary opposition to progress," DNC spokesman Brad Woodhouse said in a statement.

Aaron Groen, a spokesman for Foxx, said she was speaking "off the cuff" in her comments in the House chamber.

At a later news conference, House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio responded to a question about Foxx's remarks by saying that "members are entitled to their opinions."

When pressed, Boehner shrugged, then turned to House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence, R-Indiana, and said: "This is when they get the Boehner shrug."

Pence later told CNN he had no comment on Foxx's "particular turn of phrase, but I will say, around Indiana, out around this country, people are very, very concerned about an effort to launch a new government run insurance plan."

"I think that people in Washington sometimes don't always get how concerned the American people are about borrowing and spending and the deficits," Pence said. "It is generating strong emotions. Members of Congress are not immune from those strong emotions, but I have to say that the people's House ought to resonate with what's happening in the hearts and minds of the American people."

–CNN's Deirdre Walsh contributed to this story.

Filed under: Extra • Health care • Popular Posts
  1. In Shock

Ask those that do not have health care, what would they want. Government run health care or no health care? And then ask yourself, when you lose your job, and for a lot of you it is closer than you think, what would you want?

November 2, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. Msdp

This lady is a sick chick. You guys should watch CSpan. You will not believe how childish your GOP really are.

November 2, 2009 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  3. Looking at the Facts

Typical characteristic among liberal arguments: attacking the person rather than the argument– with "hag," "lying ignorant traitor," "dinosaurs," "fringe-nut," "hippocrite," and "hack" to name a few rather childish examples posted here. Fact: this is called an ad hominem argument, which is a type fallacy when it comes logic and rhetoric. I have yet hear any legitimate arguments based upon facts coming from the left side.

November 2, 2009 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  4. Independent and Senior Lilarose in Oregon

Years ago when my parents (now deceased) were Republicans, the Republican party was respected in this country.

I became a Republican like my folks, but it didn't take long to realize I was a liberal in my thinking, and the first president I voted for was JF Kennedy. I have never wavered from my beliefs that the Democratic Party is for the people.

I am totally appalled at the poor education level, actually the poor "thinking" level, of Republicans today.

This woman, if you can call her an adult, should be arrested, tried, and imprisoned for life for her comments in this story. To me she just encouraged terrorism in America. She is on the side of the terrorists.

To mention terrorists in the same sentence as health care reform is being a traitor to one's country and the democratic process.

November 2, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  5. Free

Why do people believe the Government will give the people the same health care as the politicians? Dems. & Reps. are only watching out for themselves. Government health care will cost the taxpayers more; especially when more illegal immigrants cross over for the free care.

November 2, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  6. JAXSON

Republican Foxx is loonier than a tune.

November 2, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

more lies and fear mongering from the do nothing GOP party of dopes

November 2, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  8. I am American

I want this woman to live without the health care she enjoys. I want her to live without it for over 3 years like I have. Then I want to see what she is afraid of.

November 2, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  9. normajean

Rep. Foxx is desperately in need of a doctor herself. How can she be a representative of any intellegent group of politicians?Her tactic is fear,which we've heard enough of lately/.She's of the "no health care is better than this " crowd. While people are sick and dying for need of care these demigogs are spreading fear.Remember the plan that would kill off "Grandma"? Well, I'm 84 yrs old,grandma and thanks to medicare, I'm in pretty good shape. I can still climb hills {not too high} and do all my own work,nobody but my doctor has to take care of me and I'm not afraid that they're trying to "bump me off".Come on people, think for yourself. This old country has done pretty well for itsself in the last hundred years and will for another hundred
    if people would add a little logic to their thinking.

November 2, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  10. Gary

One comment by Mary questioned how can anyone be against gov run insurance it is the same as medicare- isnt it? she states– she said she would rather have medicare– OBVIOUSLY she has never been on medidare– I have.... there are long waits and even disapprovals for anything other than general medical care.... indicately medicare determines what value put on human life by limiting health care proceedures that could ensure a living longer quality of life-- Americans lose with a government run health care.....

November 2, 2009 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  11. James Bryant

Dear Rep. Foxx and RNC

If you guys need better ideas just say so or you could even give me a call instead of trying to scare the living hell out of my Grandmother with talks of "Death panels". come on people, Bush lied to us enough!

November 2, 2009 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  12. Katie

I live in NC and in this woman's district and I am ashamed of this woman. Why can't we all work together? Why do the republicans and democrats argue all of the time? We all live in this fine country and we should all stand behind whomever is in office, even the likes of Foxxy Woxy.

All of this dissent and attention seeking is distracting from issues that should be taken care of and not ignored. Good grief politicians get it in gear and do something besides squabble like little children on a playground.

November 2, 2009 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  13. Don Gregory

Here I sit in the beautiful Lake Cumberland region in a supposedly conservative corner of Kentucky. And, you know what:

> I have yet to meet a tea partier or hear of any such
    activity within a hundred miles of this area;

> I have yet to hear any local folk talking against the
    Democrat Health Care Reform Bill; and most of all:

> I can selectively take Fox, Limbaugh, and company's
    rantings with a grain of salt.

This is after McClain, et. al., swept it clean in the 2008 elections. Looks like he swept out the Republican PR effect along with it! ! ! !

November 2, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  14. Gregg F

The neo-marxist, maoists and radicals who have hijacked the Democratic Party and this government, calling the conservatives the "right wingers who have hijacked the Republican Party" is a laugh. Look at the WH visitors list to see who has hijacked what.

November 2, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  15. Jim

It would be nice to have a debate with Republicans about reality. But that seems impossible. Has anyone noticed that they are rarely debate about actual facts and the actual numbers? Its always mocking and screeching and blaming and whining.

November 2, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  16. Mike

The DNC, Democratic politicians and all their supporters can continue to shrug off comments like this, but it will haunt them in 2010 and 2012. Americans do not want socialism. Americans do not want a bigger government. Americans do not want higher taxes. We want our government to provide infrastructure and defense. Outside of that ... we just want the freedoms stolen by this administration in the first 8 months given back!!!

November 2, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  17. David

Here come they come with more fear, what better way to keep people in line.

November 2, 2009 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  18. David in NC

Ms. Foxx obviously doesn't listen to her constituents. I live in her district and each and every week I email her and ask her to resign for the sake of our district. I guess if I were a big money lobbiest she would listen, but I am only a voter and I don't count.

November 2, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  19. GLS

Let me get this straight:
    Allowing people, who normally don't have access to such care due to financial reasons, more freedom to healthcare is bad because it restricts their freedom? Wow, from the Party of No to the Party of Loonytoons

November 2, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. What????

I think that Foxx needs to stop getting Medicare.I mean it is govt run health care.

November 2, 2009 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  21. Jerry

Ignorance=fear. Enough said.

November 2, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  22. Michelle

No, Ms. Foxx, the thing to fear in this country is the hijacking of common sense by the Republican "leadership." "Promote the general welfare" is right out of the Constitution...how better to do that than to insure that all people have health care. How better to provide that than by getting health care out of the hands of insurance companies who spend more on lobbying and ads than they do on actual care for people? How much money do YOU get from the insurance industry?

November 2, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  23. Maurice D. Gregory, Jr.,MD Las Vegas, NV

I am sorry to see such anger and division over an issue that should bring out a unifying cry for universal health care access – not health insurance – for all Americans. The West-Crear Medical Society of Las Vegas, NV has such a non-insurance health care access plan. It is low cost and we have been advertising to the small employers of our area for the past few months. I also have a plan that would provide for every American health care access. This plan would not cause over taxation of any economic class. It would sensibly address tort reform. It would not ask the current insurance industry to accept high risk patients. It would address emergency room use for primary care. It would address immigration issues. It would unify the country. I have condensed these two plans into a less than 60 slide power point presentation. Please give me a chance to present it to you and your audience. Most humbly but urgently, Dr. G

November 2, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  24. Ahern

What a whacko. What a stupid, overreaching comment. What a slap in the face to our family members risking their lives around the world fighting terrorists. Rhetoric like this makes independent voters like me get so angry that I will actively campaign for the opposition candidate.

November 2, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  25. mary ragland

rep. foxx believe there is more to fear about health care, than terroism, she believe the potential of the bill passing than we do from right now in any country. the republican are not willing to work for the american people,they represent.dyfunctional politics are and impediment of avoideance this has been a major fact,their misrepresentation their diminishing standard of livining .will erod the america to the core. ignorance's lack commom sense. misguided,principels no individual should be allowed to stand before abody of her peer's and say 'something so disinguinous.

November 2, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |