November 3rd, 2009

Rubio hopes Crist-Obama picture speaks volumes

Rubio wants this image to resonate with conservative voters.
Rubio wants this image to resonate with conservative voters.

(CNN) - Pictures can speak a thousand words.

At least that's what former Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio hopes.

The conservative Republican battling Gov. Charlie Crist for the GOP Senate nomination in that state has unveiled a new Web site showing a single full-page image of Crist with President Obama at a rally for the president's stimulus package last February.

"Get the picture?" text under the image reads. "Donate now to stand up for conservative principles."

Crist was one of only a handful of Republican governors to extend some support to the president's $787 billion stimulus package - a move that rankled some conservatives in his home state and across the country.

Since the Senate primary race began last May, Rubio has become the favorite of conservative Republicans while national party leaders are openly supporting Crist. Recent polls suggest Crist holds a 15 point lead over Rubio, a margin that is down from more than 30 points last summer.

The picture of Crist and Obama could resonate with conservatives in a similar way an image of Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman embracing President Bush resonated with liberal Democrats in 2006. Lieberman lost his Democratic primary to a liberal challenger that year, though won the general election as an independent.

Follow Alex Mooney on Twitter @awmooneycnn

Filed under: Charlie Crist • Florida • Marco Rubio • Popular Posts
  1. enid

Crist gets my democrat vote because he extended the voting hours on election day and because he took the stimulus money for Florida. My neighbor has a job because of the stimulus money. I haven't researched what else Crist has or has not done, but I know of voters who voted for McCain/Palin because they liked Palin's glasses and updo.

November 3, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Teknarik

This is only the beginning for True Conservative Movement! Even if they don't win all the elections now, they are sending a clear message for future races! And more and more people are waking up and throwing their Cool-Aid drinks in the trash! This is great!

November 3, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. Scott, Mizzou

Just get the message out, we need people to work together for our future, not their wallets and friends. Vote the rest of the GOP's out. Send them on their way to their mansions to go whining into the night. It is time this country got back to the people, for the people, by the people. VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!

November 3, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Melissa

Its a picture. Of nothing. Only a moron would make any decision based on this picture.

November 3, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. victim of republican greed

Once again, if we can survive 8 years of Bush/Cheney, we can survive the off year elections of 2009.

November 3, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. william

The Republican Party is only trying to rebrand its image to one of the party for Americans who are uneducated and have never had an original thought enter into their pea-brains. Baaa! Baaa!

November 3, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  7. Ben

WhoCares? "Yes....run away from Obama and back into the arms of Bush/Cheney Republicans"

That would be a lot better than what we have now. Wake up and smell the coffee.

November 3, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. Edna J. Gullatt

There is something so fundamentally wrong with this country when a governor can not help the people of his state. I do not live in Florida, but I commend Gov. Crist for standing up for the people of Florida and thumbing his nose at the Republican Party. No matter what happens in the elections tonight, this party will not flourish because they have no values or principles and have no concern for the American people. I am certain that they will no be in the majority for many years to come.

November 3, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  9. Bob in Pa

I can't stand Obama's policies and what I think he stands for, nut if introduced to him I would surely be cordial and shake his hand. Afterall he is the President.

November 3, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  10. boynbrklyn

Does the republican party have their own Bible? Is it buy chance The Book of Moron? A party of values? Ridiculous!!!

November 3, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. TLD

The Republican/Conservative Party is a disgrace and an abomination. There is something putrid about these guys and gals. The Republican Parties of past decades did not make me want to shower after I hear or see them speak on issues. I think it may have started with the Newt Gingrich Crew a few years back.

November 3, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  12. Doug

Seems like the common thread with liberals is "If you don't agree with me then you are a moron who lives in a grass hut and can't think for himself." Now there is an enlightened attitude!

November 3, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  13. Doug

Remember, this is the same man who collapsed the presidential primary for Mccain. Republicans should probably return the favor by beating him in the primary. Funny how things go around, maybe he should call homeland security for help.

November 3, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. AJ

What this underscores is the continued hatred of far right conservatives for anyone different than them. Are we moderates and the liberal democrats much different? I dont think so. I loathe all far right conservatives conservatives, have no conservative friends and don't interact with conservative relatives. I don't deal with far left liberals well either, although I think they are much better human beings than those on the far right. Is this extreme? Maybe, but I don't feel that I have anything in common with people who reject my basic values. I'm sure I'm not alone.

November 3, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  15. Militarymale

The fact you all still ramble around about Democrats and Republicans amazes me. Toss them all out and get someone in that has no political agenda. Get rid of all the house and senate people that been there more than 4 years and put a limit on terms there. The government people you all yell about been their for years whether a govenor, senate, house, or even president so they all still decide the fate of the country regardless which rep/dem is in office. As far as i am concerned all i see from the them is a lack of results on all fronts.

November 3, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. Ken in Gainesville

Crist – A lightweight who bends to every political whim. Rubio – another right wing nut from south Florida. Time for another Democrat in the Senate!

November 3, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  17. Lew

Let's just expedite the inevitable. Divide the U.S. into two countries: Red America and Blue America. It's going to happen so let's just get it over with now!

November 3, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  18. Vigla

Oh my, conservatives make me sick... Yes, drive out all the moderates from your lame party. Your status as a third party will be solidified.

We are seeing the death of the Republican party. Enjoy the show...

November 3, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  19. Scott

I think the whole system is out of touch. It's not about party, it's about the people.

November 3, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  20. Stacie

I think it is a strength that Crist is willing to work in a bipartisan manner to get the job done. Too bad the obstructionist far right doesn't see that we need communication and cooperation more than ever before.

November 3, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  21. Jay T.

conservatives are cry babies. I have never seen people pout so hard over losing.

November 3, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  22. Paul

"Be vewwy quiet... we'ah hunting Wibewals!"

November 3, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  23. Maryann Rose

It seems to me that the Republican party is self-destructing right before our eyes. (See also: NY District 23).

I guess if you don't march lock-step with the 'powerful' Republicans, like Sarah Palin or Rush Limbaugh, you're OUT!

So much for having a 'big tent'.

November 3, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  24. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Rubio is just jealous.

November 3, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  25. carlos, THAT one

why so much ado about nothing....neither of these two rotten CONS ervatives will go to DC.........a liberal will be voted in and do great things for FL and the country.......out with the repugnant pestilence

November 3, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |