November 3rd, 2009

Virginia expects final turnout at 2005 levels

(CNN) - The Virginia Board of Elections expects today's turnout will wind up looking a lot like what the commonwealth experienced in 2005, a spokesman said Tuesday.

In 2005, 45 percent of registered Virginia voters turned out. Virginia officials are not seeing any indications at this point that would suggest Tuesday's turnout will be higher or lower than it was in 2005, according to Board of Elections spokesman Ryan Enright.

Officials in New Jersey do not have any projections on final turnout numbers yet. Citing anecdotal information, Susan Evans, spokeswoman for the New Jersey Secretary of State and New Jersey Division of Elections, says that so far turnout in the state has been "light."

Evans does not expect actual turnout figures for New Jersey until polls close at 8 p.m. In the last two New Jersey gubernatorial races, in 2005 and 2001, turnout was 49 percent of registered voters, according to the New Jersey Secretary of State's office.

–CNN's Kevin Bohn and Mary Snow contributed to this report.

Filed under: New Jersey • Virginia
  1. Mickey, NY

They took your job away.
    They took your house away.
    They took your money away.
    They took your early retirement away.
    They took thousands of your young soldiers away.
    They took your respect away.
    They took your future away…

And you would still vote Republican?

It's hard for people who believe in true democracy to understand.

If a foreign country had done this to you, you would have declared WAR on them…

November 3, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. cb!

I'm a really angry voter – and I'm a liberal! We're heading out to vote, too! We're sick of the idiotic right-wing fringe and their mindless noise-making

November 3, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. Bluebonnet

The poll numbers will be down in large part because of the laziness of the ethnic group that does not have a person to vote for! The is a proven fact.

November 3, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  4. Sum Yung Gai

I'm a liberal as well, but I can't vote for Mr. Deeds. And I definitely can't vote for Mr. McDonnell (he's bought 'n' paid for). I had to write-in my choice. I pretty much voted independent wherever I could.

About the only good thing Mr. McDonnell did that comes to mind was tell NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to quit trying to enforce New York City law here in Virginia. Mr. Bloomberg needs to stay there and out of here.

I'm not angry, actually. I'm disappointed and frustrated by both corporate parties, and I don't see myself voting for either one of them for a long time to come.

–SYG

November 3, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. JJ

They took your money away.
    They took your early retirement away.

More Proof:
    DEFICIT SOARS

The federal budget has gone from surplus to deficit during the past decade.

Fiscal year Surplus or deficit
    2000 +$236 billion

2001 +$128 billion

2002 -$158 billion

2003 -$378 billion

2004 -$413 billion

2005 -$318 billion

2006 -$248 billion

2007 -$161 billion

2008 -$459 billion

2009* -$1,841 trillion (This is the Obama and Democrat controlled House and Senate deficiet, can't blame Bush any more...)

November 3, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |