November 4th, 2009

Fiorina jumps into high-profile Senate race

Carly Fiorina is running for Senate.
Carly Fiorina is running for Senate.

Updated at 1:30 p.m. ET with Fiorina's remarks

(CNN) - Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina finally made it official Wednesday: She's running for Senate in California.

The first woman to lead a Fortune 500 company made the announcement at an event in conservative Orange County, pledging her focus will be on "economic recovery and fiscal accountability."

"The decisions made in Washington impact every family and every business, of any size, in America. Throughout my career I've brought people together and solved problems and that is what I plan to do in government-set aside ego and partisanship and work to develop solutions to our problems," she told supporters.

"I will not settle for a jobless recovery and we must start the important work of getting our financial house back in order," Fiorina added. "Washington must show discipline to cut spending and create policies that encourage and empower businesses and put people back to work."

Fiorina, considered to be a moderate Republican with little history on social issues, will face off against conservative California Assemblyman Chuck DeVore for the GOP nomination. In a friendly statement Wednesday, DeVore said he looks forward "to engaging [her] on the issues Californians care about."

A recent Field poll suggested both Fiorina and DeVore polled at about 20 percent, with 60 percent of Republican voters undecided.

Follow Alex Mooney on Twiter @awmooneycnn

Full story

Filed under: Carly Fiorina • Popular Posts
  1. Dumbasrocks in Liverpool

I can't wait for the next round of [R] self-feasting. I'm going to pull up a chair, pop a beer and LMAO!!!

And do we really need yet even more business people in politics? REALLY? Wasn't 8 years of Bush enough to teach you neo-morons hat failures in business do NOT equate to successes in politics. I mean, HOW THICK ARE YOU!!!!!

This kind of hyper-partisan delusion is what DEFINES the [R] party these days. And there is also a definition of insanity that applies here.....

November 4, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. David Mauldin

I was a director at Compaq. After HP acquired Compaq she arrived at our Houston campus amist a "pre-arranged" chorus of cheers. When she address the executives in a closed door meeting, standing beside Michael Capellas, she said and I quote "I'm a lot like Michael, I have balls too!". I was immediately not impressed... and then began the fall of HP and the demise of Compaq. She says she wants jobs in the US? She had her chance at HP and outsourced many of our jobs.
    Since then, under new leadership, HP has made a comeback. It goes to show you how important the person is at the top. She almost sank a great company.

November 4, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. Jesse from Berlin

Someone should tell that this job has no Golden Parachute...
    In case she doesn`t know...

November 4, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  4. ProudLib in Wisconsin

Yeah, she looks real approachable. Like Spock.

November 4, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. Bob of Lompoc

Richard Nixon, back from the dead, wire taping her Board of Directors.

November 4, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. scott in CA

give me a break...why do celebrity CEOs believe they are qualified and trustworthy enough to represent the public in government? I understood the appeal of the Governator, and most realize now that was a mistake. But at least Arnold is trying to act in the best interest of the people...he just can't get anything done probably because he lacked experience and political credibility. A celebrity CEO Senator, or Governor for that matter, would surely favor and focus on corporate interests rather than private citizens on top of lacking experience and credibility. I hope CA voters soundly reject the concept that gathering staggering wealth in the private sector automatically qualifies someone to be an elected government official. Politics is local, and we don't need anymore "Big Picture" architects with financial motives and endless ambition.

November 4, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. DJ

What's going on with that odd hair doo? Yeah spying on corporate executives is not exactly a vote of confidence...she should take a hike and go run some other business into the gutter.

November 4, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. single mom

I live in California and, to be honest, I am not seeing much difference between the parties. However, that being said, I cannot stand Boxer.

So, as a gardener who realizes you have to turn the soil over and fertilize it, I have been voting against all incumbents. Which, nuts, means I'll be voting for Fiorina.

I'm just glad Newsom pulled out. The idea of him being governor was the stuff of nightmares!

November 4, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |