November 5th, 2009

Obama: Fort Hood shootings 'horrific'

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama on Thursday called the Fort Hood, Texas, shootings "tragic" and "a horrific outburst of violence."

He expressed his condolences for the shooting victims.

"These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk and at times give their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis," he said.

"It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Government authorities are working to ensure that Fort Hood is secure, he said. The president asked for all Americans to keep the soldiers from the base "in their prayers."

There is no greater honor or responsibility as president than making sure U.S. soldiers are properly cared for, he added.

"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," he pledged.

Twelve people died in the shooting - including a gunman - and about 30 were wounded, a Fort Hood spokesman told CNN.

Updated: 5:36 p.m.

Related: Eleven killed, plus gunman, in Fort Hood shootings, officials say

Related: Fort Hood, a home to thousands

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Jon jon

my sister is staioned at ft.hood. she is fine thankfully. enough soldiers are diying in the war, we dont need any more diying for no reason at home at home. send them ur prayers

November 5, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  2. Patrick Callahan

This does not surprise me, when our son was killed in Iraq we discovered that our causality assistance officer had ONE week of training to deal with our lose. Does the military check the mental condition or qualifications of the officers?

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the killed and injured and also to their families.

November 5, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. IraqVetnowTXCop

Its a really sad day to hear the same sirens go off on a US base stateside that we heard overseas in a war zone. Strength and prayers to all of the families, soldiers, and civilians of Ft Hood.

November 5, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  4. abeckwith

My heart and prayers go out to those involved in this horrific incident. Thank you, all you service men and women for all that you do for our country. Thank you, all the parents and family members of those men and women who made them the soldiers that they are or were. Thank you, we owe you so much, THANK YOU!

November 5, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  5. Fitz in Texas

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY MEN AND WOMEN.

May all of today's HEROES rest in peace and may our wounded HEROES have a speedy recovery.

November 5, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  6. Shelly CO

Very sad....Condolences to the families of the dead soldiers. RIP.

November 5, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  7. krystal

my heart goes out to all the families with lost and injured soilders...

November 5, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  8. Joseph

I am a retired First Sergeant, my heart goes out to all the soldiers and their families may God watch over you.

November 5, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  9. ashg82

My heart absolutely broke when I heard the news about this tragedy. I have friends that live in Ft. Hood, and it scares me to think that I could loose anyone of them while they're deployed overseas...but to have to worry about them being in harms way on an US military base on our own soil because of some lunatics who are military personnel, just makes it worse. My prayers go out to ALL of the soldiers and their families. Thank you, each and everyone of you for ALL that you do for us as a country, I cannot express that enough!!!

November 5, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. Sister

The economy, I believe is a main factor. I hope that soldiers that are serving and who come home from war are getting the assistance they need to be able to adapt to there normal lifestyles. There are so many mental health issues that occur that lead to other issues. Mental health needs to be taken care of. Its important that they have the love and support that they need to recover.

November 5, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. Lena Gerhart

Prayers and Love from Canada November 5th 2009
    nothing left to say..only heart felt sorro for all

November 5, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. RN

Such a sad day for All of us on the home front of USA Soil. God bless all the love ones involved this tragedy and our All our Arm Forces and their Loves ones also the USA President Obama ,First Lady Michelle and Family .My heart and prayers goes out to all of you.
    Sincerely, From a VA Hospital Staff Nurse

November 5, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. a soldier and mom

The stress that soldiers and their families endure does not end when deployment is over. We get back to hugs and family only to know that the next deployment is on the way. There has to be a change so that soldiers and families do not spend their time together worrying about the next separation. I am proud to serve and do not regret my choices but as I get settled back into my life one month home from Iraq, I know that my time is limited at home and the next rotation is coming. My prayers go out to those at FT Hood and to all military personnel as we are all affected by this tragedy.

November 5, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Tricia

There are now 13 confirmed deaths including gunman. I am on Ft Hood and I know that we will make it through this. It hurts even more, because the gunman was a fellow soldier.

November 5, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  15. carole ford

This is so devastating. My condolences to the victims' families.

November 5, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  16. Rel

My prayer goes out to all our men and women in uniform. I also am a soldier in the US army and its sad to see a brother in army commit a tragic act. My prayer goes out to all the family and friends of soldier in Ft. Hood as always i know we will pull thru this.. and do keep each other out.

November 5, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  17. Steve

It is a horrible tragedy to have happened but what more can be expected when our very own president is a Muslim as is the shooter. violence begets violence
    Steve

November 5, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  18. Veronica Vazquez

They protect us everyday, no words can express the graditude we U.S citizens should be thankful for each day. They fight for our lives and strive for US to survive, there is no reason for our soliders to be feeling this inside. Our world is getting crazier and crazier everyday. When events like this happen we should take our time to pray. For the good, for the bad and for the evil to go away. May our soliders continue to be protected and may the US of A be blessed forever....My condulences to the families of this tragic event. Vazquez Family....

November 5, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  19. "rightwingnut"

prayers inbound for the soldiers who lost their lives today, and their families. and, how arrogant of obama to be giving shout outs and campaigning before condolences were offered...

November 5, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  20. Jon Krieger

In a way this is worse than the 911 attacks.At least then it wasn't one of our own attacking us.But America will get through this.We are a tough nation!Let's all pray for their families!

November 6, 2009 02:01 am at 2:01 am |