November 5th, 2009

Obama: Fort Hood shootings 'horrific'

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama on Thursday called the Fort Hood, Texas, shootings "tragic" and "a horrific outburst of violence."

He expressed his condolences for the shooting victims.

"These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk and at times give their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis," he said.

"It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Government authorities are working to ensure that Fort Hood is secure, he said. The president asked for all Americans to keep the soldiers from the base "in their prayers."

There is no greater honor or responsibility as president than making sure U.S. soldiers are properly cared for, he added.

"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," he pledged.

Twelve people died in the shooting - including a gunman - and about 30 were wounded, a Fort Hood spokesman told CNN.

Updated: 5:36 p.m.

Related: Eleven killed, plus gunman, in Fort Hood shootings, officials say

Related: Fort Hood, a home to thousands

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. LacrosseMom

Such a tragedy. God help us, we are such a violent people.

November 5, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  2. rachel

I will keep their families in my thoughts, very tragic.

November 5, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. Stacie

God Bless our soldiers and their families!

November 5, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. Bluebonnet

My heart goes out to the familes of the slain and the injured. I will keep them all in my prayers!

November 5, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. kimberly

UNREAL! My thoughts and prayers are with the families and soldiers hurt...This has to stop, how is it none of these guys raised any red flags. We need to make sure we are taking care of our soldiers when they come home!! This didnt have to happen

November 5, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. Christian Values

Prayers and thoughts to our brave men and women in uniform. Let us all have them in our thoughts today!

November 5, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  7. shampayne24

OMG, My sister and her family live on Ft Hood Base.....My prayers go out to the family of the victims........

November 5, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  8. megan

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the killed and injured and also to their families.

November 5, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  9. noel

we are all not violent people. it just takes a few bad apples to make it seem that way. senseless and tragic, nothing more, nothing less...

November 5, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. Soldier

What is tragic is being here at Ft Hood, and on lockdown, knowing some of our soldiers are safe while others have been killed by their brothers in arms. Very Sad that it has come to this. Soldiers come back from deployment and they are run 130 mph from the get go with no pause to get the right things done to stand back up.

November 5, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. john

I am in my fifties and life never used to be so violent. Makes you wonder where we are going. Very sad.

November 5, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. Biased

My condolences to the families of those killed and my prayers for those who have been wounded.

November 5, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Jake in Ft Worth

What a tragedy not only to our town, state, country and soliders, but to as society as a whole that we output this type of behavior.

November 5, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. rachel

terrible tragedy. maybe it will wake the leaders of the services up and show them that you can't just keep sending people off to combat year after year. the services are broken and this is the horrible outcome

November 5, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  15. Sandee

My prayers are for the families and other loved ones of the dead. I also pray that whatever the reason for these shootings something can and will be done to prevent this horrible act from being repeated.

November 5, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. Vince

My condolences go to the families of these soldiers.

November 5, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  17. George

Such a tragedy. I ask CNN not to show fame to the killer(s) by placing their name or picture on the news. Why is this so simple for this country's news media to understand this?

November 5, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  18. Zoeii

I have been informed that one of the shooters was a Major not from the US and that they have shut down the ventilation systems on Fort Hood too. I have family that lives on Fort Hood and in the US Army.

November 5, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. Diane Keichinger

I feel so bad, our soilders have served our country, and come home
    to die on American soil. A brother has killed his brothers, what has
    gone wrong. Our nation needs to heal, there is to much anger.
    Why?

Diane

November 5, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  20. David

Highly tragic on two levels. One – for those who died. Two – this will no doubt be used as some sort of pretext for further civilian gun regulation (even though it happened on a military base) or banning people of Muslim descent from the military...

November 5, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. Charline Mayson

I pray that God will always bless America from such a tragedy

November 5, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. bill

It was in very poor taste that Obama started out his comments with a shout out and praise rather than addressing this tragedy at Ft. Hood right from the start.

November 5, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  23. Stan

We are asking too much of our soldiers. Putting their lives on the line fighting in wars we have no business continuing. Now this!! Soldiers of America, hang in there! I know it's tough! Hopefully you'll one day have the type of leadership that won't that fully support you after you've gone out and done their dirty work.

November 5, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. prayer's4all

I thought this terrorism thing was of the past or not real?
    Guess not U-h?
    Prayers to all the family of the injured and dead.
    Maybe now the other half of this country will get there heads out of there azz's and realize it can happen any where and any time .
    Terrorism is REAL like it or not.

November 5, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. mary llanes

Have we forgotten Jesus gave His Life for us...everytime i turn the tv on someone is killing someone else....when will it end ? Stop the madness....

November 5, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |