November 5th, 2009

Obama: Fort Hood shootings 'horrific'

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama on Thursday called the Fort Hood, Texas, shootings "tragic" and "a horrific outburst of violence."

He expressed his condolences for the shooting victims.

"These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk and at times give their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis," he said.

"It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil."

Government authorities are working to ensure that Fort Hood is secure, he said. The president asked for all Americans to keep the soldiers from the base "in their prayers."

There is no greater honor or responsibility as president than making sure U.S. soldiers are properly cared for, he added.

"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," he pledged.

Twelve people died in the shooting - including a gunman - and about 30 were wounded, a Fort Hood spokesman told CNN.

Updated: 5:36 p.m.

Related: Eleven killed, plus gunman, in Fort Hood shootings, officials say

Related: Fort Hood, a home to thousands

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Harold, Phoenix,AZ.

My heart aches for the families involved. It is a disgrace that the burden of fighting under extremely heavy stress falls on the shoulders of one percent of our population. If we must constantly wage war the burden and cost should be shared by the nation.

November 5, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  2. Cecily

This is sad:( We just moved from there. My husband was part of 3rd ACR . I loved it, it was very family based. I have all of fort hood's soliders and family in my thoughts and prayers!

November 5, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  3. D Patterson

May the faith of the loved ones be a blanket of comfort to them in this hour of need and in the days to come as for the rest of us IN GOD WE MUST TRUST!!!!!There can never be peace across the waters or at home until GOD is seated at the conference table there is terror and turmoil everywhere because where there is no GOD there can be no peace!!!!!Father God I ask that you forgive those who have chosen to remove your name for they know not what they do-please have mercy on us and restore peace and harmony to this nation to the world in Jesus name I ask it all,AMEN.

November 5, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  4. Boston Bill

Let's put politics on hold. We should pray for the families of the victims. Remember behind every brave soldier is a spouse and, often, children. To them, we hold you in our hearts. We, Americans, care!!

November 5, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  5. MarineWife

Obama isn't going to "save us" come on. Grow up. This has nothing to do with him "saving" us or our Nation. Focus on this tragedy and how we can overcome this. Not just the base as a whole, but our Country and all of our military families. May the deceased rest in peace and the wounded make it through. May their families stay strong and know that they are all in our prayers.

November 5, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  6. Frances

How in the world can the President of our Nation come out to address such a tragic event and start with laughing, smiling and waving? Has he no sense of decorum? Has he no sensitivity for the losses? Every other President I have seen from Reagan through Bush knew how to communicate their sympathy through their actions, without having to simply read the words off a teleprompter. I am embarrassed by his performance.

November 5, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  7. dave dhawan

My heart goes out to the familes ,i will keep them all in my prayers

November 5, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. 60's survivor

very sad.

November 5, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  9. Leslie

REVELATION
    A fiery Red Horse came out, It,s rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other . My Prayers Go Out To The Families.

November 5, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  10. Ray

How terrible....

My condolences and prayers to the family, friends, and service men/women of Ft. Hood.

November 5, 2009 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  11. Jay

My thoughts & prayers go out to the families of the soldiers killed at Ft. Hood. As a veteran(U.S. Air Force), I will pray for those families,as well as for the family of the man responsible for this heinous action. I know this will cause some bad feelings, but something caused this man to snap. What? Only God knows. I pray for comfort for each family that had a member either killed or wounded in this awful situation. May the Good Lord continue to bless our great nation, & may those who don't know Christ flee to him in this time. Maybe somthing good can come out of a horrible tragedy.

November 5, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  12. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Military families are strong, supportive and will stand together. Let's all pray for a shield of protection around them.

November 5, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Seamus

This is a tragedy, and condolences go to all vistims of this heinous act of violence! I only wish Obama could get the priorities right, instead of giving a shout out to the crowd first before extending condolences. We crucified Bush for his reaction on 9/11, our current President appears to be as bad or worse. Let's also have the MSM tell the truth and publish the shooters name real fast, as well as explore his religious/political leanings.

November 5, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  14. Amazing 1

No weapons formed against me shall prosper. I am with you Mr. President. They know not what they do please forgive the foolish.We are praying for them all.

November 5, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  15. Tammy

My Hearts go out to the families and friends of Fort Hood and you'll be in my prayers.I hope this country wakes up and realized that no soldier has to be ashamed of having PTSD ,I only hope our military makes it so that the Soldiers understand that we stand with them in all we do to make sure that PTSD is not a Shame nor should we shame them for coming forward.American soldeirs deserve that from all of us.

November 5, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  16. Rob in NC

My thoughts and prayers to all the families at Ft. Hood.

Folks, please don't make political statements based on this tragedy, we have to be bigger than that, the United States has to be bigger than that.

November 5, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  17. Dallas TX

This is so sad. Our brave sons and daughters serve our country bravely only to come back and be killed on US soil. My sincere prayers and thoughts go out to these brave men and women in uniform and there families. GOD bless our military.

November 5, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. Nazarite

World Peace!
    Prayers go out to ALL tonight!

November 5, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  19. Kim-SC

What happened in Fort Hood is tragic and our hearts do go out to their families. Please consider what happened in Fort Hood is a daily occurrance in Afghanistan.

Whether you agree with the war or not our men and women are dying there every single day. Please pray for them and support them in any way possible.

November 5, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  20. Gloria

My prayers are with each every one of you. God bless you.

November 5, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  21. Deployed Soldier

Just because we come home from a deployment ok does not mean that we dont need help. My thoughts and prayers go out to my brothers and sisters in uniform and to everyone affected by this.

November 5, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  22. NCO

I lived at FT HOOD for 10 years my thoughts and prayers go to all soldiers and families

November 5, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  23. RL

Natalie,Zeus bless You&Your family!!!

November 5, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  24. chante

my heart breaks but i know god is in the mist of the families..my husband is serving now in iraq. and very concerned about us but i ensure his family is good.i want to say the the families i will continue to pray for your peace and understanding and that we must forgive this person (s) for our pain and all come together as a unity to seek understanding and guidance..bless all those who serve our beautiful country

November 5, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  25. Desi

My heart and prayers go to every single family in Fort Hood as well as every military personals. We should hold every soldier and their families in our thoughts every day. Thank you for the sacrifices you have made to protect our country. I only hope measures are taken to protect you.

November 5, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |