November 5th, 2009

Obama to sign unemployment extension Friday

Washington (CNN) - As the White House braces for new numbers coming out Friday that could show unemployment has reached double digits, senior administration officials tell CNN the president is planning to quickly sign legislationjust passed by Congress that will offer up to 20 additional weeks of unemployment insurance.

The legislation that will be signed Friday morning also aims to stabilize the housing market with a one-time extension of the $8,000 tax credit for first-time homebuyers. The bill also provides an additional tax cut for businesses still struggling in the uncertain economy.

The bill signing will come just three days after an off-year election in which voters in several key races said the sluggish economy was a major factor in their votes.

Filed under: Economy • President Obama
  1. Mr. Phil

Really Rob? Libs are good at ruining the economy? Clinton left Bush with a HUGE SURPLUS. How'd having that dimwitted Republican work out for ya???

November 5, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  2. FranP

Say all you want about Bush, but he pushed Unemployment extensions into effect ASAP when he saw the need, whereas Obama has not said 1 word, nor did he chastise the senate for holding it up over a month and a half!

November 5, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. trueblue

Hey some people are so mental asking liberals to leave, why should we, we werent' the ones that failed this country your party took care of that really good for 8 long years. Your mind is so clouded with hate you can't even realize that. Peace.

November 5, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. dem

about time.

November 5, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. Johnny B

I think it's great how people are concerned about the spending. I voted for Obama and I am concerned about government spending.
    The government is spending like there is no tomorrow, just the same as they did during the Bush administration. You see I think it is far more important to spend the tax dollars on helping Americans, than to spend hundreds of millions a year on an unnecessary war in Iraq, which had no ties to terrorism, no WMD, and Saddam was no threat to anyone but his own people. Shortly (weeks) after Sept. 11 the military was scouting out places to launch an attack on Iraq. No why would you scout places to launch an attack on a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, instead of going after the perpetrators?

November 5, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. John

Thank You President Obama! You will get my vote in 2012!

November 5, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  7. Raymond T

I was once a card carrying Republican until a month ago myself. I have to admit I have changed my mind in view of what has happened over the unemployment ext. I have been laid off for about 9 months now and at my age there is nothing out there for me I know I have applied to just about anything and still no jobs come my way and I too am running out of benefits. I am 62 years old and have worked for over 45 years and was in the Navy too and until this happened I never had to draw a dime form any assistance period. I played by all the rules and raised my kids paid my taxes and now I am about to loose my home of 22 years,m my 401K is all gone and savings all spent down trying to stay afloat. I thank God I can now draw my social security that I have paid into for years will be there at least as far as I know. I have become so ashamed of what the GOP has become, Yes the is abuse in the system there is in every system but there is also a great need for the unemployment system I thank God it was there for me.
    For those of you who feel you must decry those who are in need remember one day it could happen to you too. I never thought I would but it did. You just never know.

November 5, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. Anonymous

It's funny how everyone is caught up on this whole debt issue...why is it no one cared when the bush administration spend biliions upon billions upon billions in Iraq? You SO called americans have no clue what you are talking about...you have two jobs??? can i have one please,,and granted there are SOME lazy people out there but the majority of unemployed people have worked their whole lives and have paid their dues and not only do they deserve it its THEIRS TO BEGIN WITH...so if you wanna moan and groan about the debt the next time the republicans move on an unsanctioned war you'll do more than hang an american flag out your window and call yourself patriotic...

November 5, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. munchmom

About time he did something decent to help the regular folks!

November 5, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. B

Start the CCC camps again and put them to work. You at least get something in return..

Endless giveaways.

November 5, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. JaySin23

I wonder if any Obama haters actually realize how much money the united states lost in the past 10 years due to wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.....Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of jobs that the previous administration shipped overseas.

The money Obama's administration is spending right now to try and bail us out of that is NOWHERE NEAR THE AMOUNT OF MONEY WE LOST DUE TO UNNECESSARY WARS!

Look it up.

November 5, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Business Owner

This actually costs jobs: I laid off people and now I have to pay them. It doesn't matter that they paid 'unemployment insurance', all that matters is I have some distorted theory with no proven facts and as such, I must be right. Thats how us republicans think at least! We just make something up, and our stupid fellow republicans are moronic enough to believe our crap!

November 5, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  13. dan

What's this now, I thought the recession was over. Don't newscasters ever tell the truth. Well enjoy the free money, so much for Obama promising people would take personal responsibility during his Presidency. Just another lie. I guess Joe Wilson was right. Is it 2012 yet?

November 5, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  14. martin

Why don't all of you unemployed cry-babies get off of you liberal butts and go get a job. Why should the government bail you out. Your lazy lazy lazy.

November 5, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |