November 6th, 2009

Obama orders flags lowered to honor Fort Hood victims

President Obama said Friday that flags at the White House and other federal buildings will be flown at half staff until Veterans Day in recognition of the shooting at Fort Hood, Texas.

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama said Friday that flags at the White House and other federal buildings will be flown at half staff until Veterans Day in recognition of the shooting at Fort Hood, Texas.

"This is a modest tribute to those who lost their lives even as many were preparing to risk their lives for their country," he said at the White House.

"It's also a recognition of the men and women who put their lives on the line every day to protect our safety and uphold our values."

Full coverage: Fort Hood shootings

Obama said he met Friday morning with FBI Director Robert Mueller and other federal agency heads to discuss the ongoing investigation into the massacre.

"We don't know all of the answers yet, and I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all of the facts," he said.

The alleged shooter, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a psychiatrist who worked in a hospital at Fort Hood, is blamed for the deaths of 12 soldiers and one civilian, military officials said.

Another 30 people were wounded; 28 of them required hospitalization.

Related: Search for clues in Fort Hood massacre

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. GotReal

ALL of these mudhapakkahs here and on Fox and in GOP who blame Obama for everything are nothing BUT dumass, piesashet (mostly rednekk whites and others as well , could be Jewish OR Insurance lobbyists OR wall street sukkers OR ppl who are pissed off because they can no longer do EVERYTHING that they could do with Cheney and Bush)

If you criticize something then let us have substance in it – MOURONS!!!

November 6, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  2. Proud American

Some of you people are really pathetic. You are so filled with hate and anger. You are racist and stereotype anyone that is nonwhite. Most mass murderers and serial killers are white males in the U. S. Ask yourselves does that mean that all white males are killers? Now do you see how stupid some of you sound. We had another mass shooting in Florida today. I don't know the race or religion of the man that did it, but I will not condemn an entire race or religion because of 1 evil person. Stay off the blogs and educate yourselves by reading would you please.

November 6, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. gettingreal

If you criticize something then let us have substance in it – MOURONS!!!

November 6, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. NC Obama supporter

are you kidding me tata mcgee? it sounds as though YOU are NOT LOYAL American...grow up

November 6, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Joe Average

Reaganomics Leads To Feudalism November 6th, 2009 3:18 pm ET

Wait a minute!...This CAN"T be true!

Rush, Hannity, and Beck have convinced all the wingnuts that that president HATES our troops AND our country.

Disciples of Rush, Hannity, and Beck are CONSTANTLY posting these claims on this ticker...all the time.

Rush, Hannity, Beck, and their disciples COULDN"T be wrong about that president...now could they?
    ---------------–

Just a couple of corrections to your post. That in place of our.....
    lowercase "p" for president......

November 6, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. all the news that's fit to omit

Obambi at his press conference yesterday was a disgrace to this country and his office.

He is up there giving shout outs to his peeps and was not even somber.

Almost three minutes into his PRE-ARRANGED and WRITTEN SPEECH he got around to talking about the fallen.

Unlike Sniffit and Obama momma and you other sheep, I wore the uniform and I am disgusted with this "president" and for the first time in my adult life I am disgusted in the office of the president.

November 6, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  7. TCM

Dom-mama – you are quite the uninformed individual; perhaps you should try studying the Koran, and the roots and drive of Islam. Your attitude and ignorance is exactly what they're depending on for their silent infiltration and take over of this country. Better watch out; if they're in charge, you won't get your welfare check.

November 6, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. tata mcgee

CNN must be scared to death over the prospects of a Palin presidency by the DAILY attacks on her. It is most entertaining. Mr. Obama's Marxist/Maoist administration is NEVER questioned by CNN.

November 6, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Islam is the enemy

First, if you are not a US citizen, shut the hell up because no one cares what you think. Second Marc in Toranto, you obviously have no idea what it means to be an American. We do not need or want the government to take care of us. We stand or fall on our own and we like it that way. Your comments dishonor these soldiers who have sworn to defend our Constitution. The same Constitution that protects our right to bear arms. The reason the USA is a beacon of hope is our commitment to liberty and freedom. Freedom from governmental intrusion and liberty from governmental oppression.
    Islam has declared war on us and it is time to face the facts. ISLAM IS THE ENEMY. OUR PRESIDENT IS WEAK AND WE ARE VULNERABLE.

November 6, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  10. Golden State Girl

TO: tata mcgee

Your comment speaks volumes about who you are as a person. Appparently..very bitter in life.

November 6, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  11. felicia

I think cnn is following in fox's footsteps. Cnn you are just as bias as fox all i read is negativity stories about my President and frankly your all starting to get on my nerve.

November 6, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  12. Marie Laveaux

My God, can't some of you on here just stop with the hateful comments about the President once in a while? This article is not an appropriate place to be ugly, and you, not President Obama, are being disrespectful and insensitive to the victims and their families.

November 6, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  13. What is Tata Talking about

TaTa McGee what the hell are you talking about...you must be ignorant

November 6, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  14. Ros

I agree with Dominican mama 4 Obama. Maybe the guy just snapped. Perhaps we should all strive to be a sympathetic ear for others ready to snap. I for one take note that this is not representative of the U.S. Muslim community that condemns this act.

November 6, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  15. charlotte, nc

I can't believe all the hateful words people are saying....it shows that many of you were not raised in a respectful family and i feel sorry for you...

but I take it you are not going to say ANYTHING about the crazy man who went on a shooting rampage in Orlando today....is it because he is white so he gets a pass?? You are people are pathetic...

November 6, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  16. daniel

I didn't think the wingnuts, dunderheads and dips could turn the President's remarks on this awful business into a political attack on him, but, my God, they've done it. Such comments would have been "unpatriotic" and "traitorous" in the last eight years. The ignorance and hatred that now stalk this land are bone chilling.

November 6, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  17. SLM

Don't jump to conclusions...........you mean like he did, with his defense of the black professor, while accusing the white police officers? Yeah, he's a great one to talk isn't he. Obama out there defending his Muslim people again. Anyone figured out yet, Obama hates America?

November 6, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. Gale

Jaye, I don't think you have been reading the comments. The hatred shown is 10 to 1 with the Democrats in the lead. I'm glad you Democrats are leading in the hatred poll, because after 2010 and 2012, you won't be leading anything!

November 6, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  19. Jeremy in Albuquerque

Wow, you right wingers will use any incident to insult our leader. Disgusting. Go to hell, all of you.

November 6, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. MJF

I believe there are several "wolves in sheeps clothing" that have been groomed to ruin this country from the inside out, this is only the beginning of what I fear to come.

November 6, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. Libertarian

Sad that so many of you would try to use this incident to blame President Obama. How about the dozens of other shooting sprees in the last 5 years. MOST perpetrated by white, god-fearing, men -including the one today!!!! Does that mean EVERY shooting spree in this country is the sitting Presidents fault.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.....think before you type. Don't just spew hatred from every pore and expect everyone to tag along with you.

November 6, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. Marie Laveaux

@Proud American,

What a person with your opinions has to be proud of is a mystery to me. Perhaps it's your remarkable ability to insult everything this country stands for in a few poorly-written sentences and get it posted on the Ticker.

November 6, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  23. Bridgette-PA

"Lee, Ann Arbor, Michigan" wrote: "I believe Obama is still a muslim and certainly is empathetic towards that religion and their way of life. It was pathetic the way he went around the world apologizing for America."

You are the only muslim here typing this crap about PRESIDENT OBAMA in hopes to get the heat off of yourself. It won't work!

November 6, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  24. Arab in America

My dad is Moslem, my mom Southern Baptist. I'm the most American person I know, and dearly love this country in which I was born I have an Arabic sounding name because of my dad. Would you like to know how terrified I am by some of the ignorant comments of those that would rather kick me out of the country than acknowledge that teh U.S. of A. is a mix of a lot of different cultures?

I'm also conflicted because my southern redneck half wants to annihilate my Arab half.

November 6, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. Alex

hey carlos, go back to cuba.

November 6, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |