November 7th, 2009

BREAKING: House pases health care reform bill

Washington (CNN) - The House of Representatives on Saturday night passed a sweeping health care bill bya vote of 220-215.

Full story

Filed under: Health care • House
  1. Robin in Tampa, FL

Yes we can!

November 7, 2009 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  2. Jayden,FL

Its about time! good Job!

November 7, 2009 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. ib

PATHETIC; those who voted for should be voted out. This country cannot afford this; most people are against it.

November 7, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  4. Ravi

Okay, 220-215 was a super close vote. I'd like to know EXACTLY what was in the bill, and how much it costs. I'd love to have those "preexisting conditions" discrimination repealed and a ban on just "dropping" people because they get too sick, so I can finally get coverage. What I DON'T want is more debt!!!

November 7, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. Jetty

Congratulations Democrats and the alone GOP hero Rep. Cao

November 7, 2009 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. DA

The 39 Democrats that voted against this bill can get ready to look for another job along with the Republicans!!! If the majority of the Country wants a Reform, you vote with what the Country wants...IDIOTS!!!

November 7, 2009 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  7. ang

Thank God. Now let's get it passed in the Senate.

November 7, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  8. brandon

yay! go team, and thank you!!

November 7, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  9. Puff

Good day for America!!Congratulation to America, Mr President OB and the dems!!!

November 7, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  10. Lisa

Who cares what anyone says. YEA!!!!! Thank the Lord!

November 7, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  11. Kylie

I would just like to state that the anchor who is speaking right now is rude and is constantly cutting people off. And for a CNN anchor i would think you would speak more professionally. With all the UMM'S and AHHH'S and always looking down it makes him look very unprofessional. I would hope CNN has more qualified anchor's to cover such a groundbreaking and historic vote.

thank you. Its been bothering me all night.
    kylie from canada

November 7, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  12. paul

about dam time two . 39 democrats voted gagainst those spineless pathetic scumbags will be voted out in 20 12 . well target them and put some real democrats in their pace . two all the edemas who voted for health reform well done were so proud of you , you stood fgast for the american people against big powe , corpret greed , an against big money . thank you so much . this will be so populer with the american people as evrey state poll shows , an thats a big reason the rethugnicans dident want it to pass an that the gop is brought and paid for bye the private insurence companys . gop against medicare when it came in now against health reform . always there to stand in the way of compassion an progress they truley are the party of NO.

November 7, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  13. william molnar

I for one will never allow the dem or anyone to force me to pay taxes or penilties for not have healthcare Ican.t afford! I give notice to those conceren i will take early retirement and go on welfare before I allow money to be taken by force! this is not the country Iserved to protect!

November 7, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  14. m jeff

Healthcare reform is one step closer, thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 7, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  15. Steve

dan smith November 7th, 2009 4:52 pm ET

Just wondering-why are liberals filled with SO much hate? How can any of you liberals out there claim to be SO caring and the spew out the garbage that you do? Get over yourselves-really.
    -----------------
    I copied this post from the article about Palin being the headline at a media dinner. I thought Dan's post would be a bit ironic and therefore funny under this story as I'm sure many, many GOPers will be writing very hateful comments.

November 7, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  16. Brian - PA

FINALLY!!!! This is wonderful.

November 7, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  17. cgillette369

the cost will be triple the fake estimates.
    this is NOT healthcare reform but new taxes and rationing of healthcare especialli on MEDICARE senior citizens.

November 7, 2009 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  18. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

I cannot believe all the selfish neo-cons complaining about helping to pay for those less fortunate. And yes this liberal has a job, despite how all you cons like to depict us a parasites on society.

Too tight to spare 5% for those making 500k if single and 1 million for couples so others can have health insurance?. I only make 5 figures but I am willing to pay more to help my fellow citizens who have not been as blessed as I have.

As President Obama pointed out if you had been listening and not typing the name calling rants, you would know that we are paying now for all the uninsured but as he stated, it is the costliest care provided, ER. So, I might be good pay small amounts over time to keep folks from having to go to the ER as the last resort.

With this bill now singles as well as single mothers with kids can now qualify for Medicaid. Perhaps this will stem the break up of marriages so the mother could qualify for Medicaid. After all, one layoff and you would need that safety net, and I know repubs think the word "empathy" is a four letter word, but in this case you might want to Google the definition.

To all you neo-con "chrisians" WWJD?

Apparently, if you represent the "living example of Christ" He would let those less fortunate among us die, just as long as He can hang onto his gold coins.

What about "what you do unto the least of them you do unto me"?

What a terrible example you are setting for this "heathen" liberal.

November 7, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  19. Jack B

Thank god for the congress and their bravery in terms of finally doing what every other industrialized nation has done, or, I should say, the first step in this process at supplying health care coverage for all the citizens of the United States of America. The fact that this was not accomplished fifty years ago is disgrace and is emblematic of those that were so ignorant and politically impeded in thinking that this was a bad thing. We need health care now. I am 57 year old, without health care and sincerely proud of the Congress to begin this process and I hope it will be done before this year is done.

November 7, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. itbq

Dear Ticker Staff,

Please correct the mistake in the title to "BREAKING NEWS: House passes health care reform bill"

P-a-s-s-e-s has two ss . Thank you.

November 7, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  21. What a horrible day for America

This bill stinks! It is everything that is Wrong with the political corruption going on today! America and all the elderly on Medicare lose! The winners - illegal aliens, proponents of big government and all the czars whom are sure to be created from this new huge branch of the government.

Since they can't make social security and medicare work, good luck to them for even thinking this will work!

November 7, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  22. BSGPaul

Take that, Party of No; take that, Faux News; there's a pity party going on in their comments section of this story.

November 7, 2009 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  23. Reaganomics Leads To Feudalism

I imagine the anti-healthcare reform REDNECKS are peeing all over themselves about now.

November 7, 2009 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  24. Donna

Hoorah!!! Now for the Senate. Oh, and thanks to Sarah Palin for butting in on NY 23 and widening a rift in the GOP vote, resulting in a new Dem in Congress who voted Yea on this bill. Keep up the good work, Sarah!

November 7, 2009 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  25. Jerry Lucas Indiana Nurse

CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY, I know a lot of you think that this is great and wow the Gov will provide for me now. I hope that you really understand this and its cost to us that are still working. GOD helps us now as you cannot turn back this crap now. Remember you wanted it and I hope you get it right down your throat

November 7, 2009 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |