November 7th, 2009

BREAKING: House pases health care reform bill

Washington (CNN) - The House of Representatives on Saturday night passed a sweeping health care bill bya vote of 220-215.

Full story

Filed under: Health care • House
  1. Doing The Happy Dance

Democrats ROCK tonite!!!!!

November 8, 2009 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  2. liberty not tryanny

thanks to the democratic party withthe support of CNN for the destruction of the Americacn way of life. I'm discussed that you have chosen to ignore the U.S. constitution and impose unconstitutional tyranical mandates on all Americans except the political elite. This has nothing to do with healthcare reform and every thing to do with tyrany. It is a blatant political power grab by unconstitutional means. This will be remembered @ the 2010 & 2012 elections. You have awakened and enraged a sleeping giant. Look out the freight train is coming!!!!!!!

November 8, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  3. amwa

A great day for America, finally health care for all. Thank you to our President and all the Democrats who worked so hard on this, and thank you to the 1 Republican.

November 8, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  4. wes

BYE BYE DEMS. Hope yall had a good time. Hopefully the Senate is smarter.

November 8, 2009 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  5. Don J

Where is the list of democrats who voted against the bill. They should lose their healthcare since they don't think people should be insured.

November 8, 2009 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  6. Cliff

All I can say is.....SAD!!!!

November 8, 2009 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  7. Senior Lilarose in Oregon

Whoever created this headline must be tired......

November 8, 2009 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  8. lila

Congratulations to the house! Well done. Hold your head up, hold your head high!

November 8, 2009 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  9. pete

finally

November 8, 2009 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  10. Nea

At least we are finally getting somewhere Thank GOD! I just dont see why Republicans keep opposing Health Care Reform when it needed so badly all they keeping talking is where are the jobs well Republicans thats a question you need to ask yourselves because it started with President Bush why didnt you ask that question then? My thing is it will offer relief to people if we get health care passed.

November 8, 2009 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  11. Anonymous

Once again Congress ignores the will of the people

November 8, 2009 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. coolchange

Why isn't this the top story instead of Sarah Palin?

November 8, 2009 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  13. tonyt

Great!

November 8, 2009 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  14. jeanette walker

i just wonder how can we as a nation can afford to pay for health care reform, with tax payer dollars when there are no jobs. Where will tax dollars come from? the rich ? I somehow doubt that. When are we going to hear about jobs? It is my oppion that the government should be consontrating on job growth. I can't help but wonder where is the hell the governments head is. They clearly are not thinking about the poor.

November 8, 2009 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  15. Beth

I think that the Demcrats just wanted to put a Win in Obamas column. This became all about winning and handing out awards at the end of the day. I voted Democrat but I and my daughter who will be 18 in 4 days will be voting Republican with me. This is not a football game and to shove the votes through with no regard for millions of people against this is just rotten goverment.

November 8, 2009 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  16. HAL

Bravo!

November 8, 2009 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  17. Southernhrt

This is very bad news. Only God can help us now.

November 8, 2009 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  18. JM

"It may pass out of the House tonight. We do realize that," Jenny Beth Martin, event organizer for the Tea Party Patriots, said. "But there is the Senate still. And we are going to leave no stone unturned and fight the government taking over our health care."

This was a comment on another article here at CNN. Ideally, no I don't want the government taking over the insurance industry, but the insurance industry clearly can't get it right on its own, so obviously they need some help and if its the government that has to help them then so be it. My biggest problem with insurance is denying people coverage based on pre-existing conditions. That's B/S. Do they really think that people have any control or power over that?? The House version covers that and hopefully the Senate version will too. If the insurance companies would just get their heads out of their backsides and stop denying coverage in cases like this then it would be a lot less of a problem.

November 8, 2009 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  19. Indy

well thank god the gov is so useless and wastefull, I find it so funny those who will celebrate like something incredible happened but it just shows how stupid people are, we have many many many more of these before they get close to passage, by then these people will lose their seats.

November 8, 2009 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  20. I am the flacid and powerless wizard of Rush

39 democrats who think they covered their tushes will still feel the wrath from the rebirther tea party.

November 8, 2009 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  21. Drew

Wonderful Finally this administration and the democrats are doing something! Enough talk! Take some action for a change! And do something for the people!

November 8, 2009 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  22. sara

Speaker Pelosi makes me proud. Rep. Cao works for the people of this country, not the self-serving Republicans.

November 8, 2009 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  23. Cas

CNN, are you breaking news or wind. It's epic fail if you misspell a 6-letter word in a 6 word headline. "House pases health care reform bill". Beyond that, its been over an hour since this was posted and I see no reader comments. I seriously doubt no one has had a thing to say, despite the late hour. I just came from Fox News, and you can bet that their followers are commenting. It's poor follow up on your part. And there are probably many like me who don't watch on the tv, so this just looks unprofessional. Closing that rant, I'm glad to see that reform is moving forward. It ain't what any of us want *exactly*, but then again, it doesn't look like anything close to what a final bill will anyway. I wish both sides of the American public could cool the rhetoric a bit. The name calling and threats don't do a thing to right the ship, and the instigators are perfectly happy with that. They profit most when we are adrift. Peaceful dreams all.

November 8, 2009 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  24. Eleanor, Port Orchard, WA

Thank God!! Now all these lamebrained teabaggers can go home and make a cup of tea with their tea bags and have a good cry! Thank you Congress! At last.

November 8, 2009 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  25. MrG

It doesn't have to be perfect. just has to be a start that is better than what majority of people have now.

November 8, 2009 01:00 am at 1:00 am |