November 7th, 2009

House passes amendment prohibiting abortion funding

Washington (CNN) - The House of Representatives on Saturday night passed an amendment to pending health care legislation that prohibits federal funds for abortion services in the public option and in the insurance "exchange" the bill would create.

The vote passed 240-194.

The amendment was introduced by anti-abortion Democrats. Its consideration was considered a big win for them and for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, which used its power - especially with conservative Democrats in swing congressional districts - to help force other Democratic leaders to permit a vote that most of them oppose.

The prohibition, introduced by Democratic members, including Rep. Brad Ellsworth, D-Indiana, and Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Michigan, would exclude cases of rape, incest or if the mother's life is in danger.

Republicans strongly supported the measure.

The GOP accounted for 174 of the votes in favor of the amendment, with 1 Republican voting "present."

On the Democrat's side, 64 voted for the measure, and 194 voted against.

Filed under: Abortion • Health care
  1. Rob

The Dems who voted for this amendment will pay come re-election time.

November 7, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  2. Randall Munroe

Who was the Republican who voted 'present'?

November 7, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  3. Jean-Paul

The GOP are going down in flames. Idiots and clowns like Boehner, Cantor, need to be voted out.

November 7, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  4. Taxation without Representation

So they passed a bill that will tax all of us but only provide health care to their special interest groups.

November 7, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  5. Ken Williams

This is finally a compromise between the left and right.Now if we can come together on illegals not being covered another huge obstacle can be surpassed.

November 7, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  6. Reaganomics Leads To Feudalism

Good! The Religious Right has just had THEIR reason for opposing healthcare reform taken away from them.

November 7, 2009 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  7. conservative NOT republican

Too bad they won't add some teeth to prevent illegal immigrants from being covered.

November 7, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  8. Greg, MN

What's the rush and limited debate about? This is not transparency in government. Its all a bunch of BS. I already know my insurance is going up because of this crap.

November 7, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  9. kww

Congratulations, Gentlemen ( and I use the term loosely ). You have just forced countless MORE women to seek unsafe back-alley abortions. If it were men who got pregnant, I wonder how quick they'd be to support this amendment? Keep your laws ( and your religion ) off of my body!

November 7, 2009 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  10. John Ca

It put down women rights that the U. S courts gave to them but, sometimes you must work with the church to work for the common good Health Care for all America in means of the pubic option.

November 7, 2009 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  11. T'SAH from Virginia

Okay... we are getting closer and I am going to BED!!! Tomorrow I will wake up and we most likely will be on the same page...

This is STRANGE – the REPUBLI-CAN'Ts are voting on part of the BILL that they do not want to have any parts of... Protesting against the bill and still voting for portions of it???? Why don't they just stay 100% out of it if they think they are so BAD!!!! BAD to the BONES!!!

KILL BILL!! KILL BILL!! KILL BILL!!!

LOSERS!!!

November 7, 2009 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  12. Charlie Brown

It passed!!! Hooray!!!

November 7, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  13. frank, pennsylvania

Very happy with this bill!

November 8, 2009 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  14. Nea

I feel we really do need to respect other people feelings on this whether you are for or against abortion so i donot feel that abortion should be funded with taxed payers money in this bill.

November 8, 2009 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  15. Monty Sherman

Well this is the day my country died as I knew and loved it with the passage of the House Bill on Health care reform. I have yet to understand why people are looking at Canada's health care system as the benchmark and blueprint for the United States,Let me explain a very good friend of mine is from Canada and 6 years ago her Father was diagnosed with Cancer and had he had the health care that we have here in the states he would have had a good chance to overcome the disease but because he was under the Canadian plan he was put on a list for treatment and died before he could see a Oncologist. Let me be very clear here he was on the list for 10 months because of his age he was 57 and in the opinion of the powers that be he had at best 20 years of life left if all went extremely well and kept slideing down the list because of his age and quality of life. I experienced what it was like for Canadian Health Care first hand in 1990 when I was in Minnesota I fractured my lower back and damaged two discs. As part of my treatment for my injury I had to go to Physical Therapy at the Mayo Clinic's 8th floor if I remember right well as I walked in the double doors of the clinic with alot of help there had to have been at least 150 people in the lobby I had a 9 am appointment and it was about 8:45 and I asked the nurse if I would get in at 9 or not as I was in a great deal of pain she told me it was no problem as one end of the room was for Americans and the other was for Canadians witch beged the question "well how many Canadians are in here " and she said "about 40% of the people there were from Canada" well that got me thinking so I asked why and she told me that they could not get treated in Canada so they came there for orthopedic surgery and paid cash to do so well I wonder what happens to the people that dont have the 40 to 80 thousand dollers to pay for care I'll tell you they suffer until or if they can get in to see a Doctor. The truth of the matter is people those that have money will get treated and those of us that don't have that kind of cash laying around well we will go into the pool and suffer or worse die. I find it ironic that the people that this Health Care Reform is supposed to help are exactly the one's that are going to be hurt and the proof of this is on the 8th floor of the Mayo Clinic

November 8, 2009 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  16. Separation of Church and State

How is this a victory? – This has been law for years – let's move on as a nation and a people – this is a step backward and failure for Democrats and anyone who believes in moving forward and growing as people and Americans – stop being wrapped up in this grand illusion / distraction – Separation of Church and State!

November 8, 2009 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  17. Separation of Church and State

All those who care so much about abortion – take all your anger and turn it into love and adopt the tens of thousands of children who need homes – live in the now and take care of the people currently on this planet! – and keep your beliefs within your own family not imposing on others.

November 8, 2009 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  18. Peter s

Very good! lets talk about responsibities before abortion!

November 8, 2009 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  19. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

You can set your calendars back to when abortion doctors killed too many women...

When your reps come to town, be sure to ask them about this!

Of course the voters will have their say in 2010... Things may very well change for the Dems

November 8, 2009 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  20. D. Tree

Even though Abortions are not funded under this legislation anyway. I guess there are enough conservative democrats to make a statement trying to reduce women's rights. Its pathetic. But then again, yet another reason the GOP fails when they claim Dems are so "radical" and "liberal," clearly that is just not true!

November 8, 2009 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  21. jon

America as we know it is over.. No longer the land of the free.. Is anyone awake it is now time for a revolution fight with your vote fight with your voice it is now time for the sleeping giant to awake that giant is the people of the U.S.A. Arise to fight let your voice be heard loud and clear it our U.S.A and its time to take it back my fellow americans.

November 8, 2009 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  22. Tina

while I believe using abotion as a form of birth control is wrong...I also believe cutting payment for it is a greater evil. this is going to result in heinious crimes against the pregnant and unborn.

November 8, 2009 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  23. Anush Raj

This is a major victory for pro-life advocates and for the millions of unborn children whose slaughter we would have subsidized.

November 8, 2009 02:24 am at 2:24 am |