November 8th, 2009

With victory in House, health care reform moves to Senate

Washington (CNN) - The House of Representatives passed a sweeping health care bill Saturday night with a tight vote of 220-215, making it the biggest expansion of health care coverage since Medicare was created more than 40 years ago.

The Affordable Health Care for America Act, or H.R. 3962, restricts insurance companies from denying coverage to anyone with a pre-existing condition or charging higher premiums based on gender or medical history. It also provides federal subsidies to those who cannot afford it and guarantees coverage for 96 percent of Americans, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

However, turning the bill into law remains uncertain.

Full story

Filed under: Congress • Health care
  1. Death Panel Sarah

To moosehead and all from Canada:
    I have not visited Canada in 40 years, but I hope to visit soon. It seems a peaceful, sane place to spend some time(without worring what to do if I become ill there)!
    You can be proud of your country.

Please don't let some of these posters influence your view of Americans. They are the few scum we have to deal with. Most Americans are happy to have a good friend next door!

November 8, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. Death Panel Sarah

To Dave(from Canada):
    WE need more posts from Canada to explain to these 'wood heads' that government healthcare is a good thing!!!
    Thanks friend

November 8, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. hiw

People if you think health reform is too expensive, can you tell me how your govt afford the war in Iraq and Afghanistan?

November 8, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. dave

southrnhrt..just as a follow up, based on 2005 figures our personal income rate was 7.5% lower than yours in the USA and we get free health care..go figure!

November 8, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Michael

It's a START in the right direction! Thanks President Obama and Speaker Pelosi. The time has come to CHANGE a system that is badly broken. The right-wing-nuts have shown once again that it's their $$ they care about and not the American people.

November 8, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. paul c in san diego

This is such wonderful news. Finally this country can step up to the plate and take care of those who cannot afford the out of control insurance companies' policies. To the few and I mean few detractors, you people never cease to amaze me. It has been proven by the CBO that this plan would reduce the costs currently being inflicted on our society. Add to that a majority in all polls want a public option. We are down the scale on Infant Mortality and the insuracen companies have been getting away with extortion for the last +50 years. Without the yearbook answers and talking points you detractors cannot come up with anything credible to the debate. Only reason why you're jumping up and down like ants on a hot plate is because you're angry that you've been tossed out of the majority and lost the White House. It's as simple as that, but keep on yelling because no one beyond your right wing cesspool gives a rat's behind about your nonsense. And when all the smoke clears, we'll be on the right side of history and you'll be the example of what not to be and what's bad in this country.

November 8, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. Mike from Mass

As a disabled American, and a survivor of cancer, I am glad that this bill will have a serious chance of passing. No insurance company will have power over me or my family anymore!

On a lighter note

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    IT PASSED! YES!
    KEEP IT UP.

November 8, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. D.

Hopefully the senate is a more serious forum, and senators will read the bill. The over one trillion bill taken in advance is something to consider and let cool heads prevail (forget the "agenda" of the democrats' left base and think what is good for the country! forget the "just say no" agenda as well! Do what is good to people).

November 8, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. George Synan

I live in Massachusetts which has compulsory health insurance. We now have the highest insurance premiums in the country.

I believe a big part of the heath insurance problem... is health insurance. Aetna just made a nice little profit for itself. I had to fight and argue about an issue with them for my wife. I won in the end, but the energy expended was exhausting. Do you see how much health providers get paid through health insurance? Not much

We need to abolish health insurance as a health plan, take better care of ourselves, and lower costs and premiums. This bill won't do it.

November 8, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. goldnugget

Congratulations to President Obama and Congressional Democrats! This is a huge step forward. I am so proud of my party and my President for finally tackling this crucial issue.

Reading these comments, it strikes me that the Christian right seems to be acting very un-Christian like these days. Maybe thats why your numbers are shrinking.

It also strikes me that the comments of the right wingers are largely incoherent and extremely nasty. I'm glad these mean and uneducated people don't represent my party.

Way to go Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic Congress. Now its up to the Senate. We are counting on you. Please don't let the American people down!

November 8, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |