November 9th, 2009

Huckabee suggests Palin double standard

Huckabee wants to be taken seriously.
Huckabee wants to be taken seriously.

(CNN) – There's a likely GOP 2012 presidential candidate who is a former governor, darling of the party's conservative base, and the leader of nearly every early presidential poll.

And his name is not Sarah Palin.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, whose upstart presidential campaign toppled Mitt Romney in Iowa and nearly brought down John McCain in South Carolina last year, wants people to know he's every bit as serious as other potential presidential aspirants, and suggested there's a double standard when it comes to how some in his party treat him and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"Some of the people who had excoriated me and really been very dismissive of me for views that I had taken, and labeled me anything from a populist to an ignoramus - the same people have been very defensive [of] and laudatory to Sarah Palin," Huckabee told Politico in an article published Monday.

I'm a very serious person," he also said. "I may not be dour, but I'm serious."

The former two-term Arkansas governor has expressed criticism of Palin before, suggesting her abrupt resignation of the Alaska governorship may suggest she's not ready to handle the pressures of a hardscrabble presidential primary campaign.

"If she's looking to be a national political figure, it's not going to get easier," he said in July. "In a primary this is going to be an issue she'll have to face. Will she be able to withstand the pressure?"

In many respects, Huckabee should be considered the early favorite in what already appears to be a crowded field of 2012 Republican contenders. He consistently leads Palin and his old rival Romney in presidential polls and has maintained a legion of faithful followers. He's also out with a new book this month and a concurrent book tour through some of the country's most conservative townships - including some in politically important Iowa.

Huckabee was also the winner of a recent Values Voter Summit straw poll, grabbing nearly 29 percent of the vote in a crowded field that, in addition to Palin and Romney, included Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Indiana Rep. Mike Pence, House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.

But Huckabee's fundraising pales in comparison to Romney's and Palin's, and it's the former Republican vice presidential candidate who has been dubbed the party's rock star, and whose upcoming book tour will make national headlines - a fact Huckabee brushed off with his trademark humor.

"I'm glad she's getting the props - I know I'm not nearly as attractive," he said.

Filed under: Extra • Mike Huckabee
  1. Bob of Lompoc

Looks and acts like Sheriff Bill Gillespie from the movie "In The Heat Of The Night". About as smart as the fictional character. "Mr. Tibbs" will bury this guy. End of "story".

November 9, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. DJ

Nope ain't gonna happen...Rush/Beck/Steele will annoit their far right extremist puppet in Sarah Palin. Any moderates will be forced out of the party and labeled as "liberals" or "Democrats".

November 9, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. Repub_in_Rehab

Please, please, please! NO MORE SARAH!! I don't care! I don't care! I don't care!

It's enough that her nomination forced me out of the Republican party to become an independent!

I don't understand this obsession with her! She is not intelligent, she has no experience in anything – couldn't even serve a full-term as Governor! Her ramblings are completely nonsensical! She was basically forced on McCain, a man whom I've always admired, until it became evident that he'd lost control of his campaign and accepted her as his running mate.

And yet you continue to ignore the mainstream Republicans like Huckabee and Romney... except if Sarah is involved somehow.

It's a sad state of affairs when Sarah Palin blowing her nose is more important than a policy speech by any other Republican. Even though I no longer identify myself with that party, does anyone seriously think that she's the best they had to offer?

If this is the case, then I guess I made the right decision.

November 9, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. mike

Anyone with a heartbeat would be better than the idiot in office now.

November 9, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  5. JM

Well I'd never actually vote for him, but if came down to choosing between him and Sarah Palin, I'd definetely choose him. At least he has a brain.

November 9, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. Joey

Huckabee's picture and the caption under it made my day.

November 9, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. Roland

If Huckabee wins the Republican nomination (and it's a looooooooong way before we know what they field will actually look like), then except the true conservatives in the party to back a third-party candiate. Huckabee's record as Governor of Arkansas was anything but conservative!

November 9, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. Billy J..Texas..

Mike and Ron Paul are the only two conservatives that I would trust as Prez. None of the others that we hear about all the time, strike me as trustworthy at all. At least Mike or Ron say exactly what they mean, and have thought about what they are saying and come to their OWN conclusions about what would be best for this country. I don't think the other hopefuls are in the same league as those two gentleman.

I disagree with a ton of stuff from both candidates, but am sure they would govern with intelligence and real loyalty to the country as a whole not the special interests only.

November 9, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. tonyt

No Quiter For President or Vice President, Sarah The Balloon Lady Palin! Going Nowhere!

November 9, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. me

Mr. Huckster......afraid of Ms. Palin.....too funny.....

He wrote a book????? Hmmmmm, didn't hear anything about that....:)

November 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. S M R

I listened to His point of view last night and if You reverse everything He said, He would be "right on the mark".

November 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. Allen

For those who want to define Governor Huckabee only on his religious beliefs, apparantly you know nothing about him. Yes, it's true that he has a strong Christian faith. But what exactly is wrong with someone living up to a standard they hold true? He makes no apologies for his faith. Also, he does not impose his faith on others.

There is much more to this man than he gets credit for (including many of the "big name endorsers" from his own party!).

If I were you, I would take a LONG HARD look at his policies before you quickly conclude that he's nothing more than the "religous candidate".

November 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. yuri

He is a ready-witted repub. w/ a soft spoken voiice, but we do not dig him as a candidate to run for office. He will make an excellent priest at the white house.

November 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. CBR

Good for Mike Huckabee. He does have experience and he remained governor until his term was up.

I, too, think that people are giving Sarah Palin a free ride. They think she was treated unfairly by the media in the last election. She should read her history books. Many candidates before her were given extreme scrutiny and constant criticism by the press. She is not alone in that regard.

Whether you are a woman or a man you should be prepared for scrutiny. I agree that some of it leaves you wondering what the people were thinking but nevertheless it is a part of political life.

November 9, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"someone that is incorruptible."

ummm...I'd hardly call someone who refuses to believe in scientific empirical evidence proving evolution "incorruptible"...his position on the subject evinces a readiness to believe whatever he is told to believe, i.e., a level of gullibility and a lack of critical thinking skills indicative of a susceptibility to corruption and a whole host of other things

November 9, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  16. Bob of Lompoc

Republicans, please give us in 2012, Huckabee-Pawlenty, or Huckabee-Gingrich, or Huckabee-Pence, or Huckabee-Jindal, or Huckabee-Paul, or Huckabee-Santorum. Or, the other way around on any of these. Goodbye Huckabee, hello President Obama through 2016. How dense are these Republicans ? Is their no limit ?

November 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. joe mett

Are these 2012 so-called hopefuls suffering from love of themselves. Somebody tell them that they cannot claim to know how to win an election in 2012 in 2009. They must be conpersons to think that they know who would win in 2012.

Surprising enough the corporate news media with nothing important to write about are obsessed with these so-called 2012 hopefuls.

November 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  18. Samurai Cowboy

Here we go again. Snipe, snipe, snipe. Ultra Christian Conservative Mike Huckabee vs. The Quitter with the Litter on Twitter vs. the Mormon that no one will vote for. The Government Opposition Party is all hat, no cattle, no ideas, no sense.

November 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. me

I see why CNN's ratings are tanking...and equal to E-News......

November 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. RAG

I disagree with Mike Huckabee on most issues, but at least he is a rational educated person that comes by his stances intelligently. He is serious and honest about them.

Sarah Palin is a shallow, flighty, attention-seeker who knows nothing and is worth even less.

Sarah Palin is not worth 1/1000 of a Mike Huckabee on her best day with the wind behind her.

November 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. Cystem Phailure

Huckabee seems like he has a much nicer personality than Palin, but how difficult is that? However, his viewpoints and "values" (gag) are largely based on mindless superstition that has no place in government. He's just another religious zealot who wants to use the government to force his personal viewpoints on everyone.

November 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Ann Lord

I'm an atheist today thanks to being raised in the south and a Baptist preacher who scared the crap out of me every Sunday. GOP....pit bull in lipstick or a Baptist preacher!!!! Ohlordey, help the dying GOP, or NOT.

November 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. D. Tree

That's pretty funny, Mike Huckabee just called Sarah Palin "Dour," and no one seemed to notice ;-)

November 9, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. ~~ July ~~ ( Working HARD to make TX Blue )

I just had my 'ah huh ' moment! ... it just hit me right now!

I believe that Palin acts with her 'double standards' whatever they might be .... the way she is acting NOW ... all crazy talk and hiding in facebook and twitter and ready to kick the media in the face one minute and then kiss it all better the next ... this CRAZY woman would be acting like this IF she had won the election. ... she would be the Crazy VP that she is now ... only without the VP title.

November 9, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. NC

Good Lord, is this the best the GOP has to offer. Bill Clinton is the last southerner that will ever be elected President.

November 9, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |