November 11th, 2009

Jenny Sanford makes endorsement, says her family is 'resilient'

In a letter making an endorsement for governor, South Carolina's first lady said her family was 'resilient' in the face of recent challenges.

(CNN) – In a letter released Wednesday, Jenny Sanford, the wife of embattled South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, said she and her family are persevering after a difficult year in which her husband admitted to an extramarital affair. And South Carolina's first lady endorsed Republican Nikki Haley's candidacy to be the state's next governor.

Haley, a South Carolina legislator and an ally of Gov. Sanford, is one of five Republicans who have formally announced bids to replace Jenny Sanford's husband.

In the letter to Haley's supporters, Sanford praised her husband's tenure as governor.

"I'm proud of the work Mark and his Administration have done over almost seven years now, trying very hard to move the ball forward on [growing the economy, improving public schools, and reforming government]."

Sanford also praises Haley as "principled, conservative, tough, and smart."

"So when I'm asked my wish for South Carolina's future, my wish is for a leader of state government like Nikki Haley," Sanford writes.

"And there's one other thing," Sanford writes before broaching the subject of her family's challenges in the last year.

"We all know this past year has been very difficult for our state on many levels. It's been hard for me and my family too. But our family is resilient, and we will be fine. And the people of our state are resilient too. I have no doubt South Carolina will get back on its feet. Nikki Haley would be exactly the kind of refreshing, inspiring, energetic, determined governor South Carolina needs to effectively lead our state to a brighter future."

In the wake of her husband's revelations that he was having an affair with an Argentine woman, Jenny Sanford has stayed largely out of the public eye but been candid about the challenges her marriage is facing.

"Now I think it's up to my husband to do the soul-searching to see if he wants to stay married," Jenny Sanford told Vogue magazine earlier this year. "The ball is in his court."

Updated: 4:10 p.m.

Filed under: Jenny Sanford • Nikki Haley • South Carolina
  1. Francis Marion

Looks like South Carolina will continue to serve as the bad example for the other 50 states. Come on South Carolina, you can do better.

November 11, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Typical Republican

Yay for Family Values the Republican way! I only have to talk about family values and morals, never actually live up to them! Thats why I'm a republican, if I were a democrat I would have to actually LIVE by those standards and worse.....have some morals...and that would be too hard!

November 11, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  3. Reformed Republican

With this woman's track record for picking a nut case talibangelical for a husband, as a rational person I don't think I would trust her judgement all that much.

Oh, I forgot, it's So. Carolina – Silly of me to use the term "rational". After all, dispite the shame and humiliation, she did "Stand by Her Man" (que the music) and those SC swampers and unibrows just eat that crap up...

November 11, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Is this the ONLY picture that EXISTS of Jenny Sanford?

November 11, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  5. Maggie

That is just like A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation to mislead viewers into thinking that there is a 50% would vote democratic when they lnow the ones they pick are biased and they pick and choose those they want and the survey is like so many other things going on today which are FIXED in favor of democratic party. Be honest for one timne CNN and be unbiased for a change. I do not watch your news channel anymore. I used to trust it but no more. All I have seen the last 2 years is so much sneaky and backhanded tactics to get your point accross. Seems you all must be paid off as well.

November 11, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

After your husband trashes you all over kingdom come AND the front pages of national and international newspapers you're saying it will be upt to HIM to decide if he wants to stay married?????? What the heck did I miss?
    I know this is a private affair, and yadda yadda yadda but you've got to be kidding me, right?
    He screwed up. I thought the ball would be in YOUR court Jenny. Oh well, YOUR funeral.

November 11, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  7. Maggie

I admire this lady for putting her country above her own feelings. She is a great LADY for standing behind her foolish husband. She is a very attractive person. Her support toward the GOP is outstanding. My heart is proud there are LADIES such as she.,

November 11, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. 30 Year Veteran

This Sanford mess is totally immorally sickening now.

November 11, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. What about John Edwards???

Where's the balance???

Why can't we get an update on the Edwards family? Or the Spitzers? Why is CNN only hammering at Republicans? Do they have some sort of agenda or something?

November 11, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. Jake

is she endorsing a Republican to stand for a sham of family values? or to guard her riches? is there any other reason to vote Republican?

November 11, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. Maggie

If the photo on utube is truly the woman Gov Stanford saw in Argentin he sure is blind. His wife is so much more better looking and graceful. She seems a jewel compared to the woman he supposedly was seeing.

November 11, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. demsrulz

United states of amnesia

November 11, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. LacrosseMom

Poor, poor woman.

November 11, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. Victim of republican greed

It's up to Mark if this marriage lasts? This is not a marriage, it is a contract of convenience. Mark is a womanizer who needs to take lessons about what a pledge to God, witnessed by friends, really means.

Would some wingnut help him understand what a Christian marriage means?

November 11, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. Boisepoet

How good is that endorsement?
    Look who she picked the last time...

November 11, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Ex-NC-Pub

Again, the desire for money and power triumph over all things!

November 11, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. Ted from Calif.

I thought Jenny Sanford was pretty smart until she praised a supposed principled conservative. Doesn't she realize that principled conservative is an oxymoron? There is no such creature!

November 11, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. Proud wingnut, birther, deather, and lemming who follows the beliefs of Chairman Glenn

South Carolina will be turn republican in 2010.

November 11, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  19. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Jenny, get rid of the bum!

November 11, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. SH in TX

Once again, an intelligent, attractive woman, who has been publicly humiliated by a husband who can't keep it in his pants, is letting him continue to decide her future. How can she say the ball is in his court? She should be the one that makes the decision, and the decision should be, "Hell no", if she has even one ounce of self-esteem left.

What kind of lesson are you teaching your sons? Marriage vows are meant to be broken? Forgiveness is a good thing, but let me ask you this: If a thief steals a million dollars and then returns it after he gets caught, does that mean the crime was never committed, and he should be set free? Same thing. Just because he said he was sorry doesn't change the fact that you are not his "soul mate" and that he fell in love with someone else for whom he was willing to risk his marriage and career.

Grow a backbone and throw him to the curb.

November 11, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  21. Desert Denizen

Yeah, and she really knows how to pick winners.

November 11, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Steph

Do endorsements from a politician's spouse mean much?

November 11, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |