November 11th, 2009

Obama considering 4 options for Afghanistan, sources say

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama is considering four scenarios to move forward in Afghanistan, and was expected to discuss them at Wednesday's eighth meeting with his war council, sources told CNN.

The meeting in the White House Situation Room was to continue evaluating how best to carry out the mission in Afghanistan, Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. military commander in the Middle East, told CNN beforehand.

Petraeus provided no specifics on options under consideration, but said the process is approaching completion.

"I think we are indeed nearing a decision on this very important topic," he said.

Though the options under consideration are not being spelled out, one is fairly well-defined.

Full story

Updated: 4:31 p.m.

Filed under: Afghanistan • President Obama
  1. William, SJ

President Obama, earn your Peace Prize and pull the troops out of Afghanistan!

November 11, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  2. Gary P.

An inexperienced, indecisive President. We asked for it, and we got it. I am embarrassed, and afraid for my country.

November 11, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. Sherry

I wish President Bush had given these wars more consideration - we are truly in a mess right now! Thank God we now have a President who is not going to let anyone rush his decision.

November 11, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. DJ

Let Boss Obama do his job and get the strategy right this time...we spent the past several years letting Bush/Cheney DITHER in Iraq. Obama is finally the one committed to a real strategy in Afganistan.

November 11, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. jon

Maybe between talk show appearances and Democratic fund raisers, President Obama can find time for the Afghan war finally. Perhaps he can unveil his plan via Letterman's top ten list.

November 11, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. Enough

So make a decision and let's get on with it..........it's only been about 3 months, quit your dithering.

November 11, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  7. WrongKindofChange

Obama, hoping if he stalls a decision long enough he may not need to make one and that the war will come to an end on its own.

This is what we can call one of Obama's 3AM moments....which stretches into 3AM the next day, 3AM the next week, and 3AM the next month.

I guess all his time as a community organizer and all his "present" voting in the senate hasn't prepared him for the realities of the world. But he sure can talk a good game...well as long as the telaprompter is running.

November 11, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. kr

The people who are complaining must be warmongers; the same group that was all for it for Iraq. Russia had to pull out of this war with the loss of 13K soldiers and l million Afghanistan. I think that is had to be a very tough decision for the President so let him do his job. I do not care what this President does all I read and hear is heinous remark against him.

November 11, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. bess

so it's taken him 12 weeks (since HIS commander asked for troops) to come up with 4 options. In 3 more weeks will Obama come up with a 5th option? hate to admit it but "dithering" is becoming more and more the perfect word to define and prove his contempt for the military.

November 11, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. walleye

I dont know what all you Obama naysayers are complaining about. At least I know this much, whatever he does, will not be followed up by a premature statement of "mission accomplished."

November 11, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. Sniffit

" I am embarrassed,"

a. You should be...Bush made us a laughingstock by running off to fight his daddy's arch nemesis, leaving a complete unattended mess in Afghanistan for the next guy to clean up.

"and afraid for my country."

b. What's new? The rest of us eat food while you GOP robots run on fear.

November 11, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. donttreadonme

Let’s try to win them over by providing them jobs. Real jobs prayed for by American tax dollars. This would show them that we love them. Radical Islam is not the enemy, poverty is. This is all caused by the corporations. Capitalism is the enemy!

November 11, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  13. Stu

We really need a Constitutional Amendment which makes military service a requirement to become President. Perhaps if he could pry himself away from watching his "beloved Chicago Bulls" for a few minutes....

November 11, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Chris

Take the time to get it right. It's more complicated than you think.

November 11, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  15. Obama's Vietnam

The President should show some courage and real leadership and pull out of Afghanistan. If Obama has not figured out a military goal and strategy after 10 months in office, it ain;t gonna happen anytime soon

Bring all the troops home now

November 11, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. Steph

Please take time to make a good decision Mr. President. This is a very difficult situation that should have been the focus of the previous administration. Sadly, they dropped the ball and this 7year old war is now in need of a solid strategy for winning and bringing our men and women home.

November 11, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  17. JonDie

Anyway you slice it, Republicans and other enemies of our country will criticize the new policy.

November 11, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  18. A leadership vacuum

It is 3 AM and the phone is ringing off the hook. It is a collect call from Afghanistan. NOBODY HOME

November 11, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. moder rate

As a veteran, I am not pleased with the suggestion that we "dithered" in Iraq. I'm glad you have freedom to express yourself though. I'm truly amazed at how people re-write history to suit there agendas. That said, I am also anxiously awaiting a decision, and am disturbed by the time it's taking. The job is not done, the alternative to finishing what we started is not acceptable because it means that our enemies, and we do have enemies, will have a place to regroup and plot their next attack. President Obama, earn your Peace Prize through the strength of some of the best Americans available, the dedicated members of the U.S. Armed Forces. If given the support needed, they will make the world a safer place for everyone.

November 11, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  20. Vietnam vet

I only wish someone put as much thought and analysis before sending me to Viet-nam 40 years ago. My suggestion is that those who want to send more troops quit your complaining and join the military and volunteer to go. I am sure yoru wishes will be honored. Until you are willing to put up, I suggest you shut up.

November 11, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  21. James Michael Roberson

Obama continues to make me proud that I voted for him. And if he continues to govern in the next three years as he has in his first year in office he may prove to be a better president than Bill Clinton making Obama the best president since Thomas Jefferson.

November 11, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  22. Dar

Come on Odumbo make me eat my words, anything short of what the general asks for will be a hoax to save face for both sides of the party's.
    I bet he only sends half of what the troops need. This way he can say to the Dems: I showed them who's boss. But he can also say to the Republicans: I sent the addtional troops and we lost.
    He is such a loser, I cant beleive we voted in a community organizer

November 11, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  23. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

A cowboy mentality got us in the mess in the first place; shooting first without asking any questions. The Iraq Study Group had questions and solutions that the Bush administration refused to hear, read the report.

November 11, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  24. Republican: I only help those who can already help themselves

Wow, you mean the President is looking at all options before sending our men and women to die?

What a jerk. Send them all to their graves, only unborm babies deserve to live. The republican motto.

November 11, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  25. Willy Brown

An old saying: Lead , follow or get out of the way boot camp.

November 11, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |