November 12th, 2009

McCain official: Palin claim 'one hundred percent untrue'

Sarah Palin's book is officially scheduled for release next Tuesday.
Sarah Palin's book is officially scheduled for release next Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A former senior campaign adviser to John McCain is rejecting Sarah Palin’s claim that she was billed for the costs of vetting her before she was selected as the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Palin’s book “Going Rogue” is set to hit the bookstores next Tuesday, but the Associated Press reported the claim Thursday after purchasing a copy of the book before the sale date. The AP reported that Palin writes about the legal fees she began to accumulate after returning to Alaska once the campaign ended, most of which were the result of having to defend herself from ethics charges.

The AP said that Palin writes about receiving a bill for about $500,000 from the McCain campaign to pay for expenses relating to the vetting process that took place before she was named as the vice presidential nominee.

"That is one hundred percent untrue," said the McCain official, who would only speak on the condition of anonymity in deference to McCain. "All those bills are from her personal attorney Thomas Van Flein, mostly relating to the Troopergate investigation and other ethics investigations. It is not legal to pay for those investigations out of general election funds, even if the campaign was so inclined."

Palin spokeswoman Meg Stapleton would not confirm the accuracy of the AP report.

The Oprah interview, which was taped Wednesday, will air in its entirety next Monday. The memoir officially hits stores the following day, and Palin kicks off her much-anticipated book tour in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Wednesday.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Chris Connally

It's become obvious to anyone with common sense and even a miniscule knowledge of politics that Sarah Palin has no real political ambition, only the desire to make money at the expense of everyone involved the last presidential bid. If this doesn't speak volumes about her character and prudence, I don't know what would.

November 12, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  2. JB

I like and respect John McCain, even though I didn't vote for him. And I know this wasn't his decision, but I'll never forgive him for not overriding his handlers and preventing this moron from being inflicted upon the world.

November 12, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  3. Margot, Northern California

Is this supposed to be a surprise? Just about every out of her mouth is an out right lie, half truth, fabrication or misquote from lack of research.

November 12, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  4. T'SAH from Virginia

WOW – already caught in lies before the book is published!! If this is all it takes to get a bestseller – we all should LIE and write a book!!!

MORE TO COME>>>>>> I guarantee it!!

Sarah Palin – YOU LIE!!!

November 12, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  5. Andy

The latest fad to become rich is to write a book about you and fool people to buy it with the premise of some entangled drama. Unfortunately a lot of people bite the bait. Are people’s lives so empty that consider Palin’s life inspirational, or even interesting? Why do people keep feeding these selfish narcissist’s egos by even paying attention to them? Perhaps the day Palin starts caring about people and not her pocket, then she may actually become inspirational. If she cared about people, why is she trying to steal their money with some absurd book full of meaningless anecdotes?

November 12, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  6. Bob of Lompoc

The Republicans, they are eating their own again.

November 12, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Sarah Palin lie? That guy must be "palin' around with terrorists" to say that. PALIN/OctoMom 2012 !!

November 12, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. sarah

McCain you brought this on yourself to blame, and she's not gong to stop until she hurts someone, herself, and she still won't know it. Sad pick out of desperation. Huh!

November 12, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  9. Mickey

Who needs "Survivor"...It's much more entertaining to watch these idiots eat each other alive...

GOP: Evolve or die

November 12, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. Karen

I wouldn't read her book much less vote for her for ANY office. How dare her give out this kind of information. I wish she would take Levi and head back to Alaska and STAY!

November 12, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  11. Reaganomics Leads To Feudalism

Wait a minute...something Sarah Palin said is 100% untrue?

Nah...You've got to be kidding (sarcasm)...

November 12, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. Oregon

I'm still trying to get used to the notion the woman knows her alphabet let alone can write a book...

November 12, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  13. P.G

Wow....whoever paid $500K for vetting that woman should ask for their money back. Just sayin'

November 12, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. JS007

I believe the McCain campaign: it is obvious that they never vetted her so why send her a bill? LOL!! The idiot wanted the campaign to pay for the legal fees relating to her abuse of power, wow!

November 12, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  15. Mike in Texas

Sara Palin is a bold face liar. She claimed President Obama removed "In God we Trust" from the front of coins, only to be corrected by FOX News out of all people!! The Republican led congress voted to move in God we Trust to the rim of the coin in 2005.. Not Obama!! When Palin gets called out by FOX that is bad!!

November 12, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. Dave L

Oh whoa is me. I'm Sarah Palin and trust me, I've had to pay millions of dollars for all sorts of things because people love to pick on me. Believe it or not, Oprah charged me 100 grand to be on her show. Point is, I'm pretty broke right now so why don't you go ahead and send me money since my life is so hard and I have all these bills to pay. Go America!

November 12, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  17. Richard L

Sarah Palin is just pulling a Palin – - making things up.

November 12, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  18. 30 Year Veteran

If the accusor wishes to remain anonymity then no credence should be put into his claim. I will go with Palin all the way. It's not the first time the Republicans have pulled a scam. And I don't even want excuse's from OBAMA supporters who can't even talk must less express themselves without spitting on you.

November 12, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. usualone

I hope the Palin supporters will listen to this McCain person and all the other things that add up to her continuing the pattern of deceit and all the other things that have proven true about her. Most likely there are a lot of excellent Republicans out there who can present honest arguments in opposition to the current party in the White House. I like most of the Democrats policies; but we are only a stronger country if there are people who present honest and fair points of opposition. That way Americans really have good choices to make.

November 12, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  20. Tom C in NY

people who follow this idiot Palin and who take her seriously are even bigger idiots than she is.

November 12, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  21. Bunksplace

Palin is such a habitual liar she can't help herself. It's really amazing how her followers, fools I might add, buy into her B.S. lock, stock, and barrel. I sincerely hope she gets the presidential nomination for 2012, from whichever party will have her, because Obama will win his 2nd term in a cake walk.

November 12, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. Jerome

CNN article says.... "The book remains embargoed," Stapleton said in an e-mail to CNN. "The Governor will appear on Oprah first to discuss the book's contents.”

I didn't know she was still a Governor ?????

November 12, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Laura

Of course it's not true.

For it to be true, the McCain campaign would have to have SPENT $500,000 vetting Sarah Palin. As it is, it's evident that they didn't even bother to have someone ask her a few foreign policy questions to see how she'd hold up.

If by some chance they DID blow that kind of money on her vetting, I hope they've demanded a refund...

November 12, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. no doubt

Get lost Sarah. You are an idiot. And now you wont be there to allow the wolves to be shot from airplanes by the brave people who fly those airplanes and the hunters who pay the large sum of money to kill the wolves in their own territory.

November 12, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  25. Jamie

Wow .. another lie .. who would have ever thought that!

If there is seriously ANYONE that would still vote for this person, I feel sorry for them.

November 12, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |