November 12th, 2009

Palin: We're 'not really into the drama'

Palin discussed Levi Johnston and the Katie Couric interviews in her sit-down with Oprah.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin and her almost-son-in-law Levi Johnston have been in a war of words for months, but the former Alaska governor told Oprah Winfrey in just-released clips of the highly-anticipated interview that he is still "part of the family."

While not directly saying whether or not Johnston is invited to Thanksgiving dinner, Palin said her family still has affection for Johnston.

"It's lovely to think that he would ever even consider such a thing," Palin told Winfrey. "Because of course you want - he is a part of the family and you want to bring him in the fold and kind of under your wing. And he needs that, too."

Discussing her new book, "Going Rogue: An American Life," on Winfrey's famous couch, Palin said she and her family want to make peace with Johnston and move past the dramatics that have unfolded in the media over the last year. Johnston was once engaged to Palin's daughter, Bristol, and is the father of Palin's grandson, Tripp.

"I think he needs to know that he is loved and he has the most beautiful child, and this can all work out for good," Palin said. "It really can. We don't have to keep going down this road of controversy and drama all the time. We're not really into the drama. We don't really like that. We're more productive."

Palin also called her interview with Katie Couric during the campaign a "bad interview," but said the campaign staff encouraged her to continue to do others after that.

"The campaign said, 'Right on. Good. You're showing your independence. This is what America needs to see and it was a good interview,'" Palin said. "And of course I'm thinking, if you thought that was a good interview, I don't know what a bad interview is because I knew it was a bad interview."

Palin's full sit-down with Winfrey will air on Monday, the day before her memoir hits bookstores.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Larry

not into drama?

What are you into Palin?

November 12, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Yasmin

Don't you have something better to report ?????

November 12, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. suefromALASKA

Sarah is the Drama Queen.

She really is into drama. Her entire reign as governor of our state was based on drama. She didn't accomplish much, but she made sure much drama accompanied every word and action.

She still continues to spew hatred toward Levi Johnstone.

November 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. whatever

The new Christian Family Value?- LIE _ LIE _ LIE – Oh Sarah – your fans will believe but the rest of us have heard you mean mouth – I will pray for you! LOL

November 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. gekonge bwosano

What a failure she can't control her mouth, her kids, her relatives, her state, i cannot wait to vote against this loser

November 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. killbucket

Palin said. "And of course I'm thinking, if you thought that was a good interview, I don't know what a bad interview is because I knew it was a bad interview." -What was she trying to say? That sentence would get you tossed from English class. I cannot WAIT 'til Monday.

November 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. sherry

Sound's to me like Sarah's a little scared at what Levi could let the world know about her. She probably has a few skeleten's in the closet that she does'nt want revealed. Trying to play nice nice now has me wondering.......Hmmmmm......

November 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. CLT

I don't agree with her politics, and the fact that she remains in the media daily, but I do respect the fact that she is offering Levi the Olive Branch....

November 12, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. Conservative Independant

The problems between them will go on until nobody offers the lad money to keep it going. Meanwhile his son suffers for the sake of daddy not needing to work like a real man and provider.He needs to man up and get a steady job. Continuing to read script from those making money from using him isn't being a real man. Bristol could have done so much better than this slug. As for all those griping about more Palin stories just stop reading them and you won't have an issue.

November 12, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Here is our daily dose of Sarah...yawn...

November 12, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  11. canadian pov

Oprah's guest yesterday (the victim of the chimp attack) is a far more beautiful and decent human being than Palin could ever be. I hope that someone as well read as Oprah would ask the idiot if she knew that "going rogue" was not a positive trait? Being Canadian and can sit back and take a chuckle at the ridiculousness of the celebrity culture that envelopes the US but when people like Palin can get so close to actually having power in the WH - the whole world must shudder in disbelief.

November 12, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. TexasTea

Although I think it's all about preserving her image, I'm glad to see that she's not saying negative things about Levi. He's an immature child not worth the energy. Now, Sarah could benefit from a good communications class or something, she needs to learn how to better frame her words and sentences.

November 12, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. Garry from Kentucky

I wonder if Oprah will plug her storybook and, I do mean storybook. It should be in the children's section of your local bookstore. Actually it should be on the markdowns.

Wonder what this peace effort with the estranged son-in-law is all about? I smell handlers behind it. I am sure Palin would rather take him wolf hunting – and, he falls from the chopper!!!

November 12, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  14. BenBear

Please – the Queen of Drama is "not really into the drama?"
    The woman who has yet to complete a job she has chosen to take?

November 12, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. Kathleen

I do not believe her for one minute. She has put out so many incorrect statements that I cannot believe the media gives her so much attention. Why would anyone want to buy her book?

November 12, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. AmyP

I Love Sarah.......always the bigger person. Can't wait to see more of her and that will be hard with CNN as they are so OBSESSED with her. She is a true force and Barach should be worried.

November 12, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. smac

I'm not buying it, if she is not into drama why respond to his comments?

November 12, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. Shana

Well, it's about time something sensible came out of her mouth. Perhaps she finally listened to the lone adviser pleading with her to stop reacting to the ruminations of an irresponsible youth.

November 12, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. Alfred H.

I don't believe her. I believe Johnston. He has no reason to lie. She does. What a phony.

November 12, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. barry g

I still don't get what the press and the public see in Palin. By the way who is at home watching the kids?, as a republican co worker asked me the other day!

November 12, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. carlos, THAT one

Levi is 1000 times more credible than this getting old lady, where did the looks go?

November 12, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  22. Bob of Lompoc

"He needs to know he is loved". "We're not into drama".

Good grief lady, do you think he wants to be loved by YOU ?

You're not into drama ? You are more of a complete phony than I was ever aware.

Please, disappear from America. Take your new wealth, from the book which could never have been written except for that stupid move by McCain nominating you for V-P, and move to Argentina, with the rest of the few Nazis who remain alive.

You are a disgusting human being.

November 12, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  23. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Palin needs to read an English book instead of writing a "drama" book. Makes you wonder if she ever opened her English book in class or just thumbed through the pages as she appears to do with everything.

November 12, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. HBO

Hmmm... Did Oprah go soft on this woman? I mean everybody knows that Palin is nothing less than a DRAMA QUEEN. So, for Palin to say "we're not really into the drama" is nothing short of a bold-faced lie. That's all she does is create drama!

November 12, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. jk from Ohio

You are not into drama? Yeah, right. Why do the most annoying women on the planet get the most air time? Palin and Prejaen (the ex- beauty queen brainless wonder) and the ugly wicked witch Michele Bachmann should not be household names. They should be ignored until they vanish into their own egos.

November 12, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |