November 12th, 2009

Palin: We're 'not really into the drama'

Palin discussed Levi Johnston and the Katie Couric interviews in her sit-down with Oprah.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin and her almost-son-in-law Levi Johnston have been in a war of words for months, but the former Alaska governor told Oprah Winfrey in just-released clips of the highly-anticipated interview that he is still "part of the family."

While not directly saying whether or not Johnston is invited to Thanksgiving dinner, Palin said her family still has affection for Johnston.

"It's lovely to think that he would ever even consider such a thing," Palin told Winfrey. "Because of course you want - he is a part of the family and you want to bring him in the fold and kind of under your wing. And he needs that, too."

Discussing her new book, "Going Rogue: An American Life," on Winfrey's famous couch, Palin said she and her family want to make peace with Johnston and move past the dramatics that have unfolded in the media over the last year. Johnston was once engaged to Palin's daughter, Bristol, and is the father of Palin's grandson, Tripp.

"I think he needs to know that he is loved and he has the most beautiful child, and this can all work out for good," Palin said. "It really can. We don't have to keep going down this road of controversy and drama all the time. We're not really into the drama. We don't really like that. We're more productive."

Palin also called her interview with Katie Couric during the campaign a "bad interview," but said the campaign staff encouraged her to continue to do others after that.

"The campaign said, 'Right on. Good. You're showing your independence. This is what America needs to see and it was a good interview,'" Palin said. "And of course I'm thinking, if you thought that was a good interview, I don't know what a bad interview is because I knew it was a bad interview."

Palin's full sit-down with Winfrey will air on Monday, the day before her memoir hits bookstores.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. TheUndecidedMajority

This lady is such a dolt. Sure they all still love Levi (including Bristol I'm sure) and she would just take him under her arm after all that has happened. I knew she was a psycho but it only takes her to open her mouth to confirm it for me. I am sure all of the articulate insights *laugh* and intelligent viewpoints *cough* her book will have will be riveting but in the end I will keep my money and wait for the Cliff Notes that come out via news articles. However, now that I think of it maybe I will buy it because it will be good for me to laugh (probably to tears)!

November 12, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Patrick

"We're not really into the drama. We don't really like that. We're more productive."

Please. Sarah Palin is the antonym of productivity, using fear, haste and demagoguery for strictly political purposes.

November 12, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. Jay

How is anything related to Palin even newsworthy?

November 12, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. beth

"they" may not be into drama but oprah sure is...what a waste.....

November 12, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. KMAN

From what I've seen of the Palin family ... Johnston has already been in the only "fold" worth entering.

November 12, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  6. Meka

DEVIL, at best!

November 12, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. SH in TX

I'm pretty sure what she meant to say about Levi Johnson was : "If I had him sitting here right now, I would strangle him with my bare hands for having the nerve to tell all of America the truth about me and the rest of my family."

November 12, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. Danny

Fellow Democrats. If you want to get CNN to stop reporting on Ms. Palin's every movement, stop submitting comments about her. Once they stop getting hundreds of comments, pro & con, which show that many people are reading the articles, they'll stop posting them here.

November 12, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. will

Something about Sarah Palin unnerves me. She is such an ignorant, hypocritical and divisive person. She'll put on the all-american happy face just to hustle her book. YUKKK!!!!

November 12, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

------------------------------

So said Flailin' Palin to Oprah. I just got back from a late lunch, I almost up-chucked.

Chama, Chama, Chama, Chama,Chameleon. You come and go.....
    Boy George

November 12, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. ThinkAgain

Oh, Puhl-eeeeze! Palin is such a dip! And she'll be around as long as there's enough makeup, hair gel and a microphone turned on in front of her face.

November 12, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. Travis

321...And here comes the Palin hating brigade right on cue.

Next countdown.... how long before once again CNN becomes embarrassed and closes the thread to further raving and hate filled maniacal posts?

November 12, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. howie

Can not wait to see how the democrats put a spin on this, they are one jealous group who can not stand anything she does. Just watch and see the spin they put on this artice.

November 12, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. JD

God help us all if America still thinks Sarah Palin should be in the White House.

November 12, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. Big Ed

ACH! What drivel!

November 12, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. lemmy

"We're more productive"???

What has Palin been productive with again?

November 12, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  17. SS

She is so fake!!

November 12, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  18. Palin Fan

Sarah Palin is awesome. She's like the little engine that could, but she can't. It's amazing that anyone could take her and her political dreams seriously. The only place her and her family should be appearing on television is Jerry Springer.

November 12, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  19. Sarah Junior

And as for the bridge between Levi and my family, "Thanks, but no thanks."

November 12, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. Ryan

Sarah Palin is an amazing public speaker, I mean... you almost believe her when she lies so brazenly !

November 12, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. lucy

"We're really not into the drama. We don't really like that. We're more productive." Wow. I'm speechless, Sarah.

November 12, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. kr

CNN if we wanted to know what Palin said during her interview with Oprah we would watch the show. This is twice today you have loaded this woman into the political tickler; she is old news. If she should happen to run we will hear about her enough. There is other news that is worthy of this page; please report and it would be nice to get a break from Palin. I know you will delete this but your blogs are full of bloggers who feel the same way. What is CNN's attraction to this self-centered woman anyway; there has to be one. If you expect a lot of people to believe her comments about Levi than you are taking one side. I do not believe anything the quitter has to say she has been caught in too many lies and she is a quitter; she will quit on anything if it dosen't serve SARA. She only likes the attention of the media not the pressure of the debates, Oprah and Walters are a piece of cake related to seasonal debator and news reporters.

November 12, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. karen

Good for her. I am glad she will be out there on her terms. The people
    that condemned her before even knowing her will get a chance to hear what she is really all about. What she has done for Alaska as Governor. I bet some people that said she had no experience are eating their words. She was running for Vice President and look what inexperience has gotten us with Obama.

November 12, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. Mike in NJ

So, I wonder if she will stand her ground, like GWB, and say things like "It was a bad interview," but never, "I was completely unprepared."

Serious times. Serious problems. For Serious people.

Mrs. Palin, please have a seat and let those who can deal with these issues, and who won't quit when things get difficult, as you did in Alaska. You were the Governor of a State, Madam. That is the 2nd highest Executive Office one can hold in the United States. And you QUIT.

NOT ACCEPTABLE. Enjoy your life. Step AWAY from political leadership – you have proven unable to handle it. Have a great day.

November 12, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. bill

sarah palin has an extremely high "C" factor

November 12, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |