November 13th, 2009

Hutchison changes mind, will not resign Senate seat

Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison is running for governor in Texas.
Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison is running for governor in Texas.

Story updated below with Hutchison's remarks as prepared for delivery on Saturday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who previously said she would resign her seat to run for governor, will announce Saturday she will remain in the Senate as she seeks the Republican Party’s gubernatorial nomination, a Hutchison aide tells CNN.

"She will announce tomorrow at the Texas Federation of Republican Women’s Convention in Galveston that she will not be resigning her seat before the primary,” said the aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “She is running for governor because she feels it is important to fight on two fronts, for the race for governor and against the Democratic health care proposal and cap and trade.”

In July, Hutchison told Dallas radio station WBAP that she planned to leave the Senate in the fall.

"Then the actual leaving of the Senate will be sometime — October, November — that, in that time frame," she said.

The aide said that Hutchison “plans to resign” her Senate seat “after the primary,” which the aide noted she will win. The aide brushed off the question of whether she would quit if she ends up losing the primary to Gov. Rick Perry.

A Perry spokesman quickly responded to the latest news in what has been a contentious primary battle.

"We appreciate that Sen. Hutchison has taken the governor's advice and finally decided to make a decision to stay in Washington,” Perry spokesman Mark Miner said in a statement. “Hopefully this will allow her to be a full-time senator for the people of Texas."

UPDATE: A campaign aide passed along excerpts of the speech Hutchison will deliver tomorrow:

"I have said before that I intended to resign this fall after I worked to defeat the Obama health care bill," Hutchison will say. "I have not said the exact date for resignation because we were waiting for the Democrats to schedule the Senate debate.

"But the bill has now passed out of the House, taking us one perilous step closer to a government takeover of nearly one-third of our economy. We are a step closer to huge tax increases. To the loss of countless jobs. And the end of patient choice. The Democrats are going to pull out every stop to socialize American medicine. But we will fight it every step of the way. And it could be a long fight.

"I am more determined than ever to become the 48th Governor of the great state of Texas. But at the same time I must put what's best for my campaign aside and do what is best for our state. That is why I must stay in the Senate while running for the Republican nomination for Governor."

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

We don't want her here in Texas and they sure don't want her in Washington.

November 13, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  2. Death Assurance Companies

Shes nothing but a garden tool for the war profit machine in Texas.

November 13, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  3. Whiners

I hope she loses, and I hope Texas succeeds, like Rick Perry wants.

November 13, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  4. Pragmatic

so we've heard the last of any GOP whining about who is doing whose job while out campaigning .... its now truly bipartisan ...

November 13, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. Jim

"She is running for governor because she feels it is important to fight ... against the Democratic health care proposal and cap and trade."

Like most of the Republican party, she doesn't actually want to fight FOR something, just against the Democrats. How do the Republicans plan to solve our health insurance problems and our global climate change problems? They don't. They just intend to stand on the sideline and try to get a political advantage.

November 13, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. DJ

make-up your mind already

November 13, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. Doraine Gordon

It's very simple. She knows that she will not defeat Perry so she is hanging on to her Senate seat.

November 13, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. Ndubueze Chuku

Oh! If your bid for Texas governorship slot fails, you can always run back to WASHINGTON DC. I thought Washington sucks? Then why are you not leaving it. HYPOCRITES!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 13, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  9. Texas Leftie

What a game changer.

November 13, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  10. Carlos

Don't give up your day job Kay, because you'll need it after the election.

November 13, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  11. dustin

Now that we've shut down the trans texas corridor does it really matter who wins? I guess, at least with kay bailey, we'll still be part of the united states.

November 13, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  12. Frank, Las Vegas

Does she think she's a little too moderate for the new GOP who is purging anyone and everyone that the extreme right deems as too moderate? Hmmm. I guess Palin will be supporting Perry for the extreme right group and then the moderates may be supporting her. I think I see another NY 23rd in the making.

November 13, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  13. gary davis Harbor Oregon proud american

only thing she is shy on is the party she should be in (DEMOCRATE) she actualy has the ability to think pass party lines of ideals . but is blinded by the party rules of (NO) being the only answer the republicans know ... she will loose her bid for office and find out to late her party isn't going to support her in the future .and she might get saved by the democrates and build a new future of equal rights for the people over the control of big business ,and the insurance industry for health care .. but for now we will watch her carier fail slowly and sadly......

gary davis
    harbor oregon
    proud to support our new administration :)

November 13, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. m smith

Gosh if she where a democrat they would call it flip flopping!

November 13, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  15. I am the Not-So-Great and Powerless Wizard of Rush

Texas has more uninsured per capita than any other state.
    It's a competition between Perry and Hutchinson as to who's the most anti-consumer, pro-insurance who.re.

November 13, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  16. Senior Lilarose in Oregon

Yet another Republican "quitter."

November 13, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  17. James Michael Roberson

I hope that we pass health care reform. If we do pass health care reform people will realize how they were lied to by the party of no and vote democrat. If we do not pass health care reform democrats will lose heavily in the 2010 elections and republicans might regain control of congress. So it is not only important that we pass health care reform because it is the right thing to do, it will cost America in the voting booth if we do not.

November 13, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  18. me

because her polls are tanking......

November 13, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. Bob in Pa

No reason not to keep her seat. She must have asked John Kerry for some tips.

November 13, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  20. hongli

A typical day in the lives of the Republicans. They just cannot make up their mind what to do and what not to do.

November 13, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  21. CAW in MD

So much for her belief in term limits...

November 13, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  22. bigTEXoil

great now PALIN may want to take notes on how to be a politician and not walk away from the AMERICAN people

November 13, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  23. Jeremy

I think that she should have just kept her mouth shut about resigning. Now that she turned and now is wanting to keep her seat, liberal bloggers will tear her apart on this site. She wants to counter the liberal Democrats and vote against the health care bill. I find that this is a good thing to do as I do not support this $1.1 trillion monstrous bill myself, but to say that you want to resign than change your mind is not a good thing to do. I cannot wait for the things the liberal bloggers (aka kool-aid drinkers) have to say about this one, however.

November 13, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  24. wg

Perry is a true joke as a governor and I would love to see kay leave the senate so we can put a dem in her seat. Ha ha

November 13, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  25. Seattle Sue

My, my which way is the wind blowing. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

November 13, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |