November 13th, 2009

McCain received signed copy of 'Going Rogue'

Sen. John McCain spoke to reporters in Arizona on Friday.
Sen. John McCain spoke to reporters in Arizona on Friday.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has already received a signed copy of Sarah Palin's new memoir "Going Rogue," but the former Republican presidential nominee hasn't read it yet.

"I've just received a signed copy from her yesterday, so I will read it with interest," the senator told reporters Friday in his home state of Arizona.

While the book contains a healthy dose of score-settling aimed at former McCain campaign aides, the senator stressed that he was "proud and honored" to have had Palin as his running mate.

"One of the things about campaigns that lose, there's always mistakes made and the campaign that wins is always the perfect campaign," he said. "I'm proud of the campaign we ran. I'm proud of Sarah Palin and we continue to have a great and wonderful relationship. So, I'm very proud of the campaign we ran and I have moved forward."

When asked if the book has become "a nuisance," McCain responded no. "It is the usual background noise," he said.

He also responded to a question he has heard over and over again since the campaign ended: Can Palin be a viable presidential candidate herself in 2012?

"Sure," he said. "I think there are a number of viable candidates out there. I think that Sarah Palin is obviously one of them and we'll start through the process in about a year or so of selecting our nominee, but I think she's a very strong force in the Republican Party. I can't predict who's gonna get the nomination but I certainly think she would be competitive."

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. demsrulz

Some people voted for these two... Amazing!

November 13, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  2. Denna

Man, I hope she runs, I really do. If she is elected, that will show how low this country will sink to to have a conservative in the White Office. But heck, she won't be there long; she'll just quit lie she did the governorship of Alaska. Having her on any GOP ticket will just about guarantee that President Obama will be reelected.

November 13, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  3. Thomas

We have lost it , we have become a salubrity nation !

November 13, 2009 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  4. Dave in Altmar

Unlike the utter nitwit he picked for a running mate, McCain is generally a class act...

November 13, 2009 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  5. Tanbiker2

One suspects John and Cindy McCain will use their signed copy of Sarah Palin's hatchet job book as paper and kindling to light a nice fire the fireplace of whichever of their seven or eight mansions they own around the country.

November 13, 2009 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

I like Senator McCain's comment, "It is the usual background noise." on Palin's book. He is a gentleman, who cannot criticize a woman in public. Of course, he has moved forward. He must regret having chosen Palin.

November 13, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  7. January

And John McCain slowly pulls the Red Curtain tight, he exits stage right...

November 13, 2009 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  8. Wink-wave-wink

First of all, Sara wink wink Palin quit. She's not a governor she is not even an author. Why do you insist on boring us about every detail of her crazy life?

November 13, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  9. Palin/Bachmann 2012

John, you had better watch that teabagger behind you. He looks like he wants to stab you in the back.

November 13, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  10. A. Smith

It seems ironic that Republican Senator John McCain when tortured by the North Vietnamese and confessed to various war crimes and even signed documents to those facts while being video taped.

McCain later stated he was under duress and those documents, and video were not valid admissions of guilt.

Now Republican Senator John McCain is loudly stating the Guantanamo Prisoners when tortured by the CIA contractors confessed to various war crimes and those admissions of guilt are 100% valid.

Isn't Republican Senator John McCain the greatest hypocrite that ever lived?

November 13, 2009 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  11. Carol

God help the United States of America...come on John..really!!

November 13, 2009 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  12. Terry from West Texas

McCain might read the book before Palin does.

November 13, 2009 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  13. rick

I wouldn't even wipe my tush with that!

November 13, 2009 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  14. Beverly in NC

Hope McCain did what every educated person in America should do – laugh at it and throw it in the trash.

If lying Limbaugh says "it is the best policy book he has ever read" – you KNOW Palin's book is pure garbage and her trying to rewrite history of what a total moron and failure she was for the Republican Party. She is and always be a loser and a national joke.

Palin has left a path of disaster wherever she has been,

Arizona – it's past time for you to vote out the senile John McCain. He has no idea where he stands on any issue and keeps going back and forth. I don't think he can remember what he was against the day before he is then for it. He has as much integrity and mental capacity as Palin. Help America by removing him from office in 2010. Republicans now want term limits and McCain is the perfect example of why!

November 14, 2009 12:04 am at 12:04 am |