November 13th, 2009

McCain received signed copy of 'Going Rogue'

Sen. John McCain spoke to reporters in Arizona on Friday.
Sen. John McCain spoke to reporters in Arizona on Friday.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has already received a signed copy of Sarah Palin's new memoir "Going Rogue," but the former Republican presidential nominee hasn't read it yet.

"I've just received a signed copy from her yesterday, so I will read it with interest," the senator told reporters Friday in his home state of Arizona.

While the book contains a healthy dose of score-settling aimed at former McCain campaign aides, the senator stressed that he was "proud and honored" to have had Palin as his running mate.

"One of the things about campaigns that lose, there's always mistakes made and the campaign that wins is always the perfect campaign," he said. "I'm proud of the campaign we ran. I'm proud of Sarah Palin and we continue to have a great and wonderful relationship. So, I'm very proud of the campaign we ran and I have moved forward."

When asked if the book has become "a nuisance," McCain responded no. "It is the usual background noise," he said.

He also responded to a question he has heard over and over again since the campaign ended: Can Palin be a viable presidential candidate herself in 2012?

"Sure," he said. "I think there are a number of viable candidates out there. I think that Sarah Palin is obviously one of them and we'll start through the process in about a year or so of selecting our nominee, but I think she's a very strong force in the Republican Party. I can't predict who's gonna get the nomination but I certainly think she would be competitive."

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Aunt Bea and Opie

Shaking our heads and laughing,this is so sad its funny now.

November 13, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Dennis

We already know John is insane, you don't have to try and continue to prove it.

November 13, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  3. Josef F

Please, Republicans. Please please please please please...Nominate Caribou Barbie in 2012

November 13, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. Susan in NC

Ever check the dictionary definition of "rogue"? If not, please do - how very appropriate!

November 13, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. GI Joe

Wow – she can sign her name? More intelligent than I thought.

November 13, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. kd

Merriam-Webster dictionary:

ROGUE

noun:
    1 : vagrant, tramp
    2 : a dishonest or worthless person : scoundrel
    3 : a mischievous person : scamp
    4 : a horse inclined to shirk or misbehave
    5 : an individual exhibiting a chance and usually inferior biological variation

adjective:
    1 : resembling or suggesting a rogue elephant especially in being isolated, aberrant, dangerous, or uncontrollable
    2 : corrupt, dishonest
    3 : of or being a nation whose leaders defy international law or norms of international behavior

(says it all)

November 13, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. Proud member of "Global Zero:

Good kindling for starting a fire. I love to read but I will not be reading this book. How can you keep putting this woman in the headlines. CNN has gone WAY WAY down

November 13, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  8. Sean

Every time McCain reiterates that he was "proud and honored" to have Palin as his running mate, I lose another fraction of the tiny bit of remaining respect I have for him. I lost most of my respect for him when he unleashed her bile-filled, unintelligent, hateful and dangerous rhetoric on the world.

November 13, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  9. Debbie in VA

CNN just can't help themselves today can they? Here come all the liberals commenting on how stupid she is and every other vile thing they can think of.

November 13, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  10. I am the Not-So-Great and Powerless Wizard of Rush

Maybe someone should also send Senator McCain a copy of
    Going Rouge.

November 13, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  11. S M R

John first looks for a centerfold.

November 13, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  12. m smith

From what I have heard it will only take him one sitting in the john to read it. Something like 5. Wonder how many I will see at the good will this time next year.?

November 13, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  13. mjm

McCain is expected to counter with his new book...

"Going Commando"

November 13, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  14. S M R

5 chapters only? That's 5 long RUN-ON SENTENCES.

November 13, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  15. proud dem in nc

Palin nomination=Obama victory!!!! I only pray they are stupid enough to nominate her. If the far right crazies have their say, she'll be their girl. So many other candidates won't be "Republican enough"

November 13, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  16. James Michael Roberson

Sarah Palin for president? It will never happen. You can bet the farm on it.

November 13, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  17. S M R

Someone broke my crayons. :(

November 13, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. Palin/Bachmann 2012

Happy reading John. You should write Sarah and thank her for trashing you.

November 13, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  19. A weary Independent

John, you had better watch that rooster fish behind you! He doesn't like you.

November 13, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  20. midnight rambler

HA! Wait till he actually reads it and sees what the Caribou Barbie has to say about his campaign.....

November 13, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  21. Hammerer

McCain took a dive for the Dems in 2008. He ran a campaign to insure a Democratic victory.

November 13, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  22. james

Sarah is gunna be awesome in 2012

November 13, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  23. Montana

Democrats will win easily hands down if Palin become the Republican choice in 2012!

November 13, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  24. Republicans are the American Taliban

Even McCain calls her a LIAR!! There is no honor among thieves.

November 13, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  25. Cindy

Jeez, Senator McCain... get a backbone. She just kicked your campaign in the gut with that book, and you still stand by her.

November 13, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |