November 13th, 2009

McCain received signed copy of 'Going Rogue'

Sen. John McCain spoke to reporters in Arizona on Friday.
Sen. John McCain spoke to reporters in Arizona on Friday.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has already received a signed copy of Sarah Palin's new memoir "Going Rogue," but the former Republican presidential nominee hasn't read it yet.

"I've just received a signed copy from her yesterday, so I will read it with interest," the senator told reporters Friday in his home state of Arizona.

While the book contains a healthy dose of score-settling aimed at former McCain campaign aides, the senator stressed that he was "proud and honored" to have had Palin as his running mate.

"One of the things about campaigns that lose, there's always mistakes made and the campaign that wins is always the perfect campaign," he said. "I'm proud of the campaign we ran. I'm proud of Sarah Palin and we continue to have a great and wonderful relationship. So, I'm very proud of the campaign we ran and I have moved forward."

When asked if the book has become "a nuisance," McCain responded no. "It is the usual background noise," he said.

He also responded to a question he has heard over and over again since the campaign ended: Can Palin be a viable presidential candidate herself in 2012?

"Sure," he said. "I think there are a number of viable candidates out there. I think that Sarah Palin is obviously one of them and we'll start through the process in about a year or so of selecting our nominee, but I think she's a very strong force in the Republican Party. I can't predict who's gonna get the nomination but I certainly think she would be competitive."

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Republicans are the American Taliban

Sarah needs to do 12 steps for Liars Anonymous.... Hi...my name is Sarah....and i'm a liar...

November 13, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  2. GI Joe

Did anybody notice Palin's stiff, cheap, wig on the Oprah interview? Looks like with all her millions, she could at least buy one that isn't so obvious.

November 13, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  3. Jesse in Madison

i feel bad for the guy. he will never be able to admit how wrong he was regardless of the ridiculousness to come from this woman! he will always have to stand behind "she was the right choice" just to keep any honor.

how pathetic!

November 13, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. Love Thy Neighbor

"Overheard when he thought his mic was silenced...She has to go through me first!" I give it 2 weeks [14 days from today] for McCain to reverse his stance and proceed to "defend" himself and campaign members! Beau Colby

November 13, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  5. g

he,ll burn it before he ever reads it

November 13, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  6. Dan

Why is this news, and the decision by the attorney general while the president is hiding in Asia to give constitutional rights to 9/11 war criminals?
    What a bias of news CNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 13, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  7. T'SAH from Virginia

AND???? SO??? If it was signed in BLOOD, then that would be a story!!!

November 13, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. Marie MD

Seems that the quitter took out Levi from the family photograph. Speaking of Nazis. Isn't that what they like to do. Rewrite history to suit their means.
    oprah needs to quit her show and go grow pineapples in Hawaii and the people of Arizona need to find someone else besides mccain to send to Congress.
    I am surprised mccain didn't invoke the dude's name and how he finished a race with a broken arm. He seems to go there a lot when asked about the Alaska bimbo because he has nothing good to say about her.

November 13, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  9. Jeremy

All I have to say is who really cares if McCain received a signed copy of Palin's book. They are old news. I am tired of every day reading or hearing something about these two. They follow Palin most, talking about how much of a bad mother and politician she is (most of this is said by Levi Johnston, a person I cannot stand to hear about). They also keep McCain in the news, often to give the liberal bloggers something to foam at the mouth about and spew hate at. All said, CNN needs to get a life and follow a true news story instead of beating dead horses.

November 13, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  10. gary

Who cares and why is this news?

November 13, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  11. Wolfe

I will bet that he was overjoyed at receiving such an inspirational gift, signed no less.

November 13, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  12. Seattle Sue

Just shows what judgement John McCain has. Poor, very poor.

November 13, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. snowflake

Well, I could just bet I know exactly where John McCain would like to put that book????????????????????? And it wouldn't be on his book shelf either!!!!!

November 13, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  14. Thomas, AK

John, it OK to say you would like to smack the heck out of yourself for choosing her and releasing a terror attack on America and now we can't rid ourselves of this self proclaim wanna be important nutcase!

November 13, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  15. Liberal4Obama

She didn't even gave it to Senator McCain in person? WOW... there is definitely some bad blood between those two.

November 13, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. Joe Terrogano

It may come in handy if he runs out of toilet paper.

November 13, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  17. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

Palin/Bachmann 2012!

Lord, hear my prayer.

November 13, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  18. Grahame

Who signed it for her?

November 13, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. I am the flacid and powerless wizard of Rush

Sarah's stab at fiction writing.

November 13, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  20. johnchristopher saskatchewan

Only in America.

November 13, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. Marie in California

I'll be at Costco to buy the book when it comes out on Tuesday.

November 13, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

YIKES!!!
    This behavior from McCain certainly explains why he was able to continue to work with GWB after the smear job that GWB did on him...
    Brain Damage.

November 13, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  23. gary davis Harbor Oregon proud american

give it to Bonner and he can run with Palin for the nut house king and queen ..the nearest state mental hospital for the clinical insane. pathilogical liers club :)

November 13, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  24. I hope it's better than "My Pet Goat"

He can read it between bingo games. It's probably about 50 pages, so I'm sure he can get through it pretty quickly. I hope they had an editor look at to correct the spelling and grammatical errors.

November 13, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  25. 30 Year Veteran

Put that where the sun don't shine McCain you unpopular American Hero. Boy if you call being such a bad pilot as to get shot on your first flight being a hero then you must be the Ace of Spades.

November 13, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |