WASHINGTON (CNN) - U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder will announce Friday that five Guantanamo Bay detainees with alleged ties to the 9/11 attacks - including confessed mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed - will be tried in civilian court in New York, according to an Obama administration official.
Holder's news conference is scheduled for 11 a.m. ET, the official said. He will also announce that five other detainees held at the U.S. military detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, will be sent to military commissions for trial. No other details on those detainees or their charges were available.
The official was not named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.
When asked about the impending announcement on Friday, President Barack Obama would only say that Mohammed "will be subject to the most exacting demands of justice."
"The American people insist on it, and my administration will insist on it," Obama told reporters at a joint news conference in Tokyo, Japan, with Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama.
Mohammed is the confessed organizer of the September 11, 2001, attacks on
New York and Washington. But his confession could be called into question during a trial. A 2005 Justice Department memo - released by the Obama administration - revealed he had been waterboarded 183 times in March 2003. The controversial technique that simulates drowning has been called torture by Obama.
Mohammed is one of five defendants in the 9/11 attacks being held at the U.S. military detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The other four are Ramsi Binalshibh, Walid Muhammed bin Attash, Ali Aziz Abdul Ali, and Mustafa Ahmed al-Hawsawi.
National Public Radio, citing "officials familiar with the situation," said all five defendants will be tried in the Southern District of New York - a short distance from where the twin World Trade Center towers once stood.
– CNN's Terry Frieden contributed to this report