November 15th, 2009

Palin is great for the GOP, Giuliani says

Former New York City Mayor Giuliani said Sunday that former Alaska Gov. Palin got a positive reception even in a Democratic stronghold like New York.

(CNN) – A prominent, socially moderate Republican said Sunday that former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who has achieved iconic status with the Republican Party’s conservative base, is an asset to the GOP.

“I think Sarah Palin is great for the Republican Party,” former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said in an interview that aired on CNN’s State of the Union.

Giuliani said Palin generates a lot of enthusiasm for the party which has struggled to define itself and identify its leading voices after the McCain-Palin ticket lost its White House bid a year ago.

“She gets a tremendous reception even here in Democratic New York,” Giuliani, who hosted Palin at a New York Yankees game, told CNN’s John King.

“We’re very far away from a 2012 election,” Giuliani added, “Right now, I like figures who are creating interest in the Republican Party.

“Given the decisions that the Obama administration is making, particularly on this area of terrorism which concerns me probably more than any other, we’re going to need some pretty strong alternatives in 2012. I don’t know if it’ll be Sarah Palin or someone else. But right now it’s [about] developing interest in a Republican Party and we need a two-party system and we need a healthy one.”

Giuliani said he had not made any decision yet about whether he will seek the White House again in 2012 or run for New York governor. Asked when he had to make that decision, Giuliani told King “Not today, not this morning.”

Filed under: Extra • GOP • NY-23 • Popular Posts • Rudy Giuliani • State of the Union
  1. ThinkAgain

Yeah, right, from the guy who could only say "9/11" in answer to every question put to him during his blighted presidential campaign.

Rudy is an idiot!

November 15, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  2. Steve

Then why didn't he choose her as his running mate during the primaries?

November 15, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  3. The Lady

I wish the GOP would stop worrying about 2012 and worry about today.

November 15, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. Dex

Proving once again just what a senseless wonder Rudy G. really is.

November 15, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. hitobito

I truly hope that Sarah Palin is the GOP nominee for President in 2012! She is the new face of the Republican Party. She symbolizes everything the GOP stands for. Her record, her academic background, her intelligence, her family values, her religious zeal, everything.....just like all of the newspapers she reads! I hope everyone of her fans prays like hell for her nomination!

November 15, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. AstroTurf This

Take a good look America. The ugly far-left on this comments section. These are the people of the far-left. This is the vile ugliness they want to turn this country into. They're getting paid by SEIU and OFA to sit at home on their computers and put forth FILTH on blogs and forums to make people believe they are the majority. They are NOT the majority and when we vote in 2010 and 2012 they will be UNEMPLOYED.

November 15, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  7. Lexie27

Tah Da!. . . . Rudy blows it again.

November 15, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  8. Michael Hite

We pay a lot of lip service to winning "hearts and minds". Trying the 911 conspirators in New York is a step that direction. We have to put our money where our mouth is.

November 15, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. Margot

I have never seen a network, or any reporter anywhere, as obsessed with a personality as much as CNN is with Sara Palin. I wonder which executive at CNN is in a compromising photo with her? She is certainly using it to her advantage. Seriously, it is unbelievable. We know where she is every second of the day. What's with this unnatural obsession?

November 15, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  10. Agree

Yep! I agree. You and Palin make a great team. A losing polarizing team.

November 15, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  11. Janel, St. Paul, MN

"Great for the Republican party?" I'll give you that,Rudy.

But "Great" for our country and the world?? Hardly.

November 15, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. fortydammer

Bassman. Smaller government and a bigger military, that makes sense! How much bigger military can we afford. How many countries do we need to police? How many nation building projects can we get into before we are broke? Your Bush like strategy played itself out over the past eight years. What it it get us? Number one, a world that hates us! Number two, a economy that was headed for another great depression! Number three. Two unfinished wars without a plan of exit!. Bush was harder on this country than any terrorist could have been. Now people just like you listen to the real terrorist in this country, Hannity, Colter, Limbaugh, and the not very bright Glenn Beck. These people take hope away from us, and they spread hate!

November 15, 2009 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  13. Stephen

Coming from the guy who discounted sound advice and put emergency ops hq in the WTC makes his opinion a little less credible.

November 15, 2009 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  14. David Jones

Sort of amusing to see these macho GOP supporters scared to death of semi literate nuts speaking Arabic housed in super max prizons in Illionois. Then, to demand to send more soldiers to Afghanistan while making sure that they or their sons–Romney, Cheney et al–do not serve is all the more silly. The GOP is a bunch of chickens, scared of their own shadows. Bring these terrorists clowns to the U.S. and let's kick their ass.

November 15, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  15. Huh?

he added

"i was there during 9/11"

November 15, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  16. ObamaWillPayMyBills

Giuliani knows Palin is very smart and he also knows she is a fundraising gold mine.

Republicans are starting to come out of the woodwork asking her to campaign for them.

November 15, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. Eric

As a moderate independent, I have to say that Sarah Palin is the most unattractive candidate out there for any office. She has no clue about how to be a leader. Last time she was, she quit and blamed it on the media! Buyer beware with Palin.

November 15, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  18. MInnesota Resident

Calling Rudy Giuliani a "moderate" shows how far to the right CNN has moved in order to try to draw in Fox News watchers. Pretty soon they will be calling Newt Gingrich, Rush Limbaugh, and ex-CNNer Glenn Beck moderates.

November 15, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  19. Mark

Why anyone wants to know what the brain dead hick that is Sarah Palin thinks is beyond me. I once had hopes for you Rudy.

November 15, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  20. jerryvaldez@earthlink.net

This from a presidential candidate who thought it was best to skip the early states and thought his time in Florida was well spent speeding his election bus around a race track in Daytona. Oh, btw, he also threw his faminly under the bus to chase a younger woman. Not a leader of the GOP, we need to do a lot better than this.

November 15, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  21. Dan R.

What happened to Giuliani? I used to respect him. He has become such a tool, first by running a disastrous campaign for prez, and now by saying Palin is good for the GOP. I mean if this doesn't seal the deal on the Republican party. When so-called moderates think Palin is good, come on folks. She is so whacked. She believes in creationism, she kills endangered animals for fun, and has no intellect what-so-ever. I actually hope the GOP nominates her for their candidate. Because she won't only lose, but be utterly humiliated. And that will be the end of her 15 min of fame. And for Rudy, your time is long gone. You were a voice of reason at one point, now you are totally irrelevant!

November 15, 2009 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  22. Janet

I am baffled by people thinking Sarah Palin is a viable presidential candidate. Even if she had my exact view on all matters (which she does not) I would not think she is qualified to represent me. It is not a criticism per se. I do not believe just any person who has an opinion about neurosurgery is qualified to be a surgeon if she is not educated and well practiced in that field. Ms. Palin does not seem even basically equipped to deal with the rigors, intricacies and nuances of intra and international governmental affairs. This is not a bi-partisan comment. I do believe that there are governmental officials, even with whom I disagree, who are cable of leading. Sarah Palin will never be one of them.

November 15, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  23. Florida Resident

As a former NYer, I can say clearly that there are many reasons that Giuliani is reviled in NYC. He made his money on the tragedy of 9/11 for one and the FD and PD hate him for it.
    Giuliani is out of touch with those who have watched Palin and don't believe she has 2 brain cells to rub together unless they $ involved – just like Giuliani. The GOP (which was my party until they left me for the evangelical wingnuts) is out of touch and imploding.

November 15, 2009 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  24. Patrick

I'm so embarrassed to be a Republican right now! I do not plan to switch parties, but at the moment I don't have much interest in GOP politics.
    I appreciate a President who considers options, weighs concerns and makes educated decisions. I appreciate a President who can articulate various sides of an arguement. I appreciate a President who will respect the rights of individuals, and support the rights of women and minorities.
    As long as the GOP is frothing at the mouth with the far right rhetoric, they can count me OUT.

November 15, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  25. anita link

He is an idiot for thinking Palin could even think of running of any office. I thought I had respect for him but by his comments for Palin he just lost any confidence I ever had in him.

November 15, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |