November 15th, 2009

Palin is great for the GOP, Giuliani says

Former New York City Mayor Giuliani said Sunday that former Alaska Gov. Palin got a positive reception even in a Democratic stronghold like New York.

(CNN) – A prominent, socially moderate Republican said Sunday that former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who has achieved iconic status with the Republican Party’s conservative base, is an asset to the GOP.

“I think Sarah Palin is great for the Republican Party,” former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said in an interview that aired on CNN’s State of the Union.

Giuliani said Palin generates a lot of enthusiasm for the party which has struggled to define itself and identify its leading voices after the McCain-Palin ticket lost its White House bid a year ago.

“She gets a tremendous reception even here in Democratic New York,” Giuliani, who hosted Palin at a New York Yankees game, told CNN’s John King.

“We’re very far away from a 2012 election,” Giuliani added, “Right now, I like figures who are creating interest in the Republican Party.

“Given the decisions that the Obama administration is making, particularly on this area of terrorism which concerns me probably more than any other, we’re going to need some pretty strong alternatives in 2012. I don’t know if it’ll be Sarah Palin or someone else. But right now it’s [about] developing interest in a Republican Party and we need a two-party system and we need a healthy one.”

Giuliani said he had not made any decision yet about whether he will seek the White House again in 2012 or run for New York governor. Asked when he had to make that decision, Giuliani told King “Not today, not this morning.”

Filed under: Extra • GOP • NY-23 • Popular Posts • Rudy Giuliani • State of the Union
  1. Chris

NY Republicans have learned what happens when you take on the fringe of the party. It's a shame that the right has hijacked what used to be a viable alternative to voting Democratic.

November 15, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Marshall

Rudy a moderate?

A demagogic schemer, a venal, nasty, power loving, bully. I see nothing moderate here.

A class A creep, finally. That's your Republican moderate.

November 15, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. Taylor B1

Pathetic...hard to recall that this man was once taken seriously.

November 15, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. Rick from Portland

Palin is great for the GOP because the only people left in the GOP (only about 20% of the American people are willing to call themselves Republican anymore) are people who are narrow minded, fear mongering bigots like her. The Tea Baggers are all the looneys who don't vote anyway, and are even crazier than those calling themselves Republicans (their rallies look like the line at the Wal-Mart pharmacy). There isn't ONE "Leader" of either the Tea Baggers or the Republicans I would ever consider voting for as President. Obama will win re-election in a walk, cuz the opposition may be vocal, but they just don't have the numbers. Let the south and the plains go red, in fact let the secede for all I care, Obama will win the Electoral vote and the popular vote, just like last time. So keep on hating, it won't make any difference unless someone can come up with a real alternative to this President, and so far there is NONE!

November 15, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. ICARE

Why are people so scared of these terrorists? Dont be afraid. Uncle Sam is watching our every move. Uncle Sam is not stupid. I'm so sure BIG BROTHER has access to information transferred via internet, phone, mail, and emails.

Relax! Goodness, people keep thinking Uncle Sam is dumb or something. The beast is very smart. He is just not showing his true colors yet.

I think I heard that by 2016, the technology will exist to CHIP everyone. I smell 666 around the corner.

So dont worry, Uncle Sam has it under control. And if not, as AMERICANS, we have the BIGGEST mouths in the world. WE'll scream and show up on TV.

Stop being wimps. Goodnes,, we've got God and Guns :)

November 15, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. Tom R

Giuliani is dumber than I thought.

November 15, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Al in Chesapeake

Sure glad to see you far left liberals getting your feathers ruffled again. Funny how you critize every conservative but then don't critize your own when the lie, cheat and even forget about paying taxes.

November 15, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. maf

Oh Rudy,

You lost me when you spoke at the GOP pre-election convention. Your rhetoric and absolute trash that came out of your mouth meant I didn't have to listen to you anymore. Wonder how many are like me now?

The sunset awaits you.

November 15, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. Bobby

Palin is also good for the Democratic Party. Please let her run for the president in 2012.

November 15, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. Dan

I couldn't agree with him more. Let her keeping destroying the Republican party from inside, they look like a joke just like he does.

November 15, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. ICARE

Palin is going to be the reason why Obama gets another FOUR more yeas in the white house.

I hope Huckabee gets nominated, otherwise, it'll be Obie for 4 more years.

Three more years from now, Obama would have learned the ropes and sound 10000 times smarter than Palin.

November 15, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  12. harold

Palin has found the pot of Gold also.. Good for who.. did you say..Rudy?... Republicans are always good for themselves.. after opposing Medicare in 1965 and Social Security back in 1935.. they felt it was too much government.. so much so they called it socialist.. And will abandon the programs if they get a chance to privatize all of it ........ So good for who Rudy?

November 15, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. DB

I said it before on CNN and I'll say it again: Sarah Palin is nothing short of a blathering lunatic and will be utterly disastrous for this nation and the planet if elected to any post in the future. She epitomizes everything that is wrong with the mindless drama-infatuated culture of this country. All media outlets should be ashamed of themselves for allowing her this much airtime, but much like the idiocy of Jon and Kate – bull sells commercials and lines shareholders pockets.

What is worse than this psychopath is her idiotic drones of conservatives that consistently buy her bull. The void of critical thinking and judgment of this mass of individuals represents a threat to the fabric of our democracy and is far greater than any so called terrorist threat.

November 15, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. kd

guiliani is a 'moderate'?!? THAT'S what a moderate is to the GOP now??? god help us all.

(anyone with a brain knows Palin's an idiot.)

November 15, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. Adam (From Chicago)

Why does the left HATE Palin so much? I have NEVER seen/read such hatred and loathing about anyone else...even Bush.

You guys are pathetic. You want to know why Palin is so relevant? You. America is 2 countries now...a sort of bizarro mirror nation. If the left hates someone...the right loves them...and vice versa. This is the VERY least happy I have EVER seen the populace of this nation.

To the left...all Republicans are retarded swine. To the right...all lefties are socialist nanny staters. What if you both are right? Where is the legitimate third option? Where is the compromise? I know, I know, I know...the party of "no" has you all tied up with their obstructionist ways. BS. You have the majority across the board. If you could get your OWN party in order...you could pass every liberal dream policy.

But the truth is...the Democratic party is not at all united. Never mind bi-partisan...that shiites a joke with Pelosi at the helm. Majority across the board and your own party is saying the policies brought to them are too left...too socialist...too much.

November 15, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. trying to be reasonable in WV

I'm still waiting for Palin supporters to demonstrate persuasively that she has the knowledge base to be president. Lord knows she hasn't done it. Understand this: having an adequate (read: very extensive) knowledge base has NOTHING to do with whether one is conservative or progressive (despite the fact that the intemperate on either side describe their opponents as retarded). Having an adequate knowledge base has NOTHING to do with whether one can spout a party line, or which party line is being spouted.

Do I think Palin is a moron? No. I just don't think she knows enough, and I don't think she cares about it very much. Oh, I know, this will provoke lots of rejoinders about Obama's being inexperienced, etc. Whatever, dudes . . . . You're still not contradicting my argument, and I think that when one takes political arguments OUT of the equation, Obama is a reasonably smart and knowledgeable guy, even if one thinks he a socialist or even a traitor (I don't). Even cranky Charles Krauthammer, who LOATHES Obama and his policies, thinks Obama is a smart guy..

And NO, I don't fear Palin, nor do I have any kind of personal animosity toward her, so don't call me a hater. I just wish she'd learn a lot more.

November 15, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. wbn

Again, Sarah Palin had more executive experience (budgets, staffs, deadline, employees, etc.) than Obama at the time of the election; moreover, Obama has shown great inability at handling these challenges. Both of these were more inexperienced than McCain or Hillary, but both Palin and Obama energized their parties. Palin is smart and shrewd, and she connects with "average" folks–folks who like to relate commonly, but who are just as smart as the condescending, empty-soul "intellectuals."

November 15, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. RJV

Looks like the pres has everyone right where he wants them. Watching the right hand while the left one robs us blind.

November 15, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  19. Tom G

American politics are becoming a lot like Reality TV, especially the survivor series. Idiots, all of them, but millions of people turn on the TV and watch in total awe. Unfortunately the idiots who watch vote for senators and representatives too. It doesn't take character to intelligence to win the minds of morons.

November 15, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  20. Leah Texas

Palin and the Palinites don't realize that the GOP is USING PALIN to drum up excitement and donations. The GOP will never consider Palin to be a serious candidate for 2012.
    As a woman I find this offensive, but as an Obama supporter I LOVE IT!

November 15, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. katiec

CNN headlines Palin almost daily, at least once sometimes more.
    They even go to her facebook to get quotes.
    Does anyone know of any other person this happens to?
    CNN, along with Fox sings her praises, drools over her and
    pushes her down our throats along with other radical republicans.
    They never fact check, point out their outlandish lies and exaggerations, just worship their extremists.
    No wonder their ratings are in the basement.

November 15, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  22. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

The Republican party is still struggling to define who they are and that's why it's so easy to define who Palin isn't. Palin help create the demise of the party and continues to do so. The best is yet to come so get ready Republicans because it isn't going to get any better as Palin finally creates your dooms day.

November 15, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. djy

If Rudy's a moderate, I'm the man in the moon.

November 15, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. Brian MacDougall

Rudy's never been too fussy with respect to factual matters. Kinda like Palin in that respect.

And for the record, liberals won't have to lift a finger to trash the Palin book. Team McCain and the Republican establishment will do plenty of that on their own.

November 15, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  25. SkiDoc

Sarah Palin is the Dem's (especially the wimmins libbers) worst nightmare. She has managed an entire state (unlike Obama who hadn't managed a Dairy Queen) and brings a spirit that resonates with real Americans. Keep up the "not ready for office" mantra, libbers, while she just charges ahead. Go Sarah! You betcha!

November 15, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |