November 16th, 2009

Obama: I've never used Twitter

Obama: I've never used Twitter.
Obama: I've never used Twitter.

Washington (CNN) – President Obama admitted to never using Twitter during his trip to China on Monday.

"Let me say that I have never used Twitter," Obama said in response to a question from a Chinese student about using Twitter freely in China. Obama continued: "I noticed that young people - they're very busy with all these electronics.  My thumbs are too clumsy to type in things on the phone."

During the presidential campaign, techies and news organizations all noted the Obama campaign's use of social networking. "Barack Obama dominates Twitter" read one summer headline on CNET.com.

Obama has his name on one Twitter account, @BarackObama, which was started in April 2007 and is now run by Organizing for America (Obama's political arm operated out of the Democratic National Committee). The other account is @WhiteHouse, which was first set up to send out news about H1N1. @BarackObama has close to 2.7 million followers and @WhiteHouse has over 1.4 million followers.

Matt Lewis, a conservative blogger with Politics Daily, thought Obama seemed "out of touch" in his comments about young people and electronics, considering during the campaign there was an effort made to make Obama look hip and tech savvy. "There were a lot of people during the campaign who were critical of John McCain, that he was not technologically cutting edge," Lewis told CNN.

MG Siegler of TechCrunch, a non-partisan blog that reports on social media, wrote today, "Obviously, he had a killer team around him that was able to embrace the web...Still, it's somewhat surprising that he never sent any of his own tweets during the primaries."

Ari Melber, a liberal correspondent for The Nation who followed Obama's digital steps during the campaign, didn't seem fazed by the Obama comments. He said, "In legal terms, what would a reasonable Twitter user think?" Ask Rachel Sklar, a prolific tweeter and Editor-at-Large of Mediaite.com: "I never thought he did . He's a little busy."

Filed under: President Obama • Twitter
  1. Death Assurance Companies

Thats because twitwits are the new nitwits.hahaha

November 16, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. SocialismBad

Why would Obama need to use Twitter? The MSM follows him like lap dogs in heat and records his every word and movement. Then publishes the word according to Obama.

Maybe we should all Tweet to his account and tell him to do more work and less campaigning? Things are only getting worse and his only solution seems to be "spend more money we don't have".

November 16, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Obama Victim

Obozo is a "twit"

November 16, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. aproudmemberoftheunpatrioticmob

look look.....

he is also a moron and technologically backward – Palin knows how to use Twitter!!

You go girl!!!

November 16, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Sea.gem

"My thumbs are too clumsy to type things in on a phone"...guess that is why he demanded and received a ultra-secure bberry account...the man can't help but lie to try and look good....sad, sad politician....

November 16, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  6. Bedtime for Obonzo

Me neither. I finally have one thing in common with the Beloved Leader.

November 16, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

God bless our President.

November 16, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  8. Silence Dogoode

You would think that a Twit would be an expert at twitter.

I guess he is too busy gallavanting, gutting the constitution, letting his buds the 9/11 terrorists have a crimanial trial instead of a military tribunal and cowardly refuses to call what happened at Ft Hood a terrorist attack. BTW Mr. Trophy Wife of the DNC can we get a decision on Afganistan?

November 16, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  9. D. Tree

The President doesn't have time to Twitter.

Good, he did I'd be worried.

November 16, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. T'SAH from Virginia

And if YOU did??? You'll be getting my TWEETS!!! Don't worry, not ever TWIT is a TWEETER because a TWEETER is a TWIT!!! LOL

November 16, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. jaye

The United States does not need to have the 911 trials in New York....thats the worst idea I've ever heard.
    AND, they will be found not guilty because all of them were tortured.
    Stop being stupid.....have the trials someplace else.

November 16, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  12. James Michael Roberson

I watched the speech and was very impressed. I think he answered some very hard questions. As far as twitter goes I think he was refferring more to texting using a cell phone than twittering on a computer. Maybe he has never twittered, so what he probably doesn't type his own letters either.

November 16, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Nea

I really like this President wisdom last nite during the Town Hall Meeting someone ask him what was his definition of sucess of something in reference to that and he said that his definition to sucess is not how much money you have or the cars you drive but its helping feed the hungry or teaching a child etc. he said that he didnt have anything against having nice things and that was good to but thats how he view sucess and to me that was remarkable.

November 16, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. mjm

"My thumbs are too clumsy to type in things on the phone."

I thought SS got him a special BlackBerry so he could text.....Could it be that Obama is a....LIAR!

November 16, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Let me bask in the glory of finally having a technologically savvy Presidente. You blew the opposition out of the water Mr. President with your e-mail outreach during your campaign. You've brought the WH computer system closer to the 21st century. Let twits like Sarah have twitter.

November 16, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  16. XrayDean

What a faker. Jeez, does he do anything he says he does? What a puppet of the DNC!

November 16, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. Carlos

And they had made such a big deal about how techie and nerdie he was, another lie.

November 16, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. A. Smith, Oregon

I greatly admire President Obama, however on this question by Chinese students, he dropped the ball. When asked about internet censorship, he seemed to be on notice in regards to the likely hood of being asked that question.

The 'do you use Twitter' question was a typical Chinese subtle inquiry to let Obama open the discussion into the harsh internet censorship by China.

The vast American majority doesn't realize how plugged in many of America's black project agency's are into the internet practices of law abiding American citizens. Tracking their internet usage, reading their emails, using backdoor entry's into the Windows operating system to read various files on your personal computer are all ROUTINE operations that are conducted without any approval, warrant nor evidence of any wrong doing prior to such searches.

Which country's practices are more intrusive? Is America's routine intrusive practices upon its own citizens any less intrusive than those of China in the post Bush-Cheney era?

November 16, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  19. terry,va

If you don't want to twitter, how about giving us your decision on Afghan etc. by your blackberry. This isn't the Senate. You have to come out of the coat closet and vote yes or no; not present.

November 16, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. Jane/Seattle

And this is important HOW?

November 16, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. will

"My thumbs are too clumsy to type in things on the phone."

I thought he was "addicted" to his blackberry?

November 16, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. J.P.

Nope, you just Twitter with our nation's prosperity.

But whatever you do, please push for more programs that keep people poor, stupid and voting for democrats. The more people you have dependent upon government for their very existence, the more Democrat voters you have.

November 16, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. Pee Wee

Once again, showing he's the figurehead and is controlled by the "man behind the curtain".

November 16, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. HJA

I don't use Twitter. I don't text. Ther are people in a class I am taking that whine how hard the class is. During the lecture they are on Facebook or texting under their desk. Technology has it's uses. I don't need it so I don't use it. If you can't call on the phone or email me.....we don't need to talk. Some people just can't shut up for a minute.

November 16, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  25. Pee Wee

Oops! bad cut and paste!

"Let me say that I have never used Twitter,"

What a waste of cyber-space.

"Let me say that I have never used Twitter," ...

or run a company, or held a private sector job, or had any executive experience, or ever served in a diplomatic role, or ever been in the military. But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

November 16, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |