November 17th, 2009

Ted Kennedy, Jr. staying neutral in Mass. Senate race

Ted Kennedy, Jr. is not making an endorsement in the race to succeed his father.

(CNN) – Ted Kennedy, Jr. said Tuesday he has no plans to endorse a candidate in the field of Democrats vying to replace his father in the U.S. Senate.

"It's hard for me to get excited, honestly, about it, because it's a tough emotional time," Kennedy told the Boston Globe.

A recent poll suggests Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley holds a clear lead in the primary battle with more than all three of her chief competitors combined. Given the state's political demographics, the winner of the Democratic primary is heavily favored to win the general election in January.

"People will make the best decision, I'm confident of that," Kennedy also said. "I know my dad always thought that elections were a great time to size people up. He had to go before the voters nine times, and he had faith in the process, so I'm sure the most qualified person will be elected to this job."

After his father's death in August, there was talk that Kennedy, 48, would pursue a bid to succeed him. While he ultimately ruled out that option, the younger Ted Kennedy told the Globe Tuesday that politics might still be in his future.

"This was not the time, for personal and family reasons," he said. "So close to my father's death, it just didn't feel right to me. But I would be interested down the road, when my kids get older, and I feel like I can bring more to the table through my experiences."

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Eddie

Hey Libs......Palin is more popular than Obama.....get used to this: President Sarah Palin. Also get used to this; "Government run health care (known as ObamaCare) has FAILED!

November 17, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. strong

Another Kennedy possibly running for office? That clan has bred like rabbits.

The dynasty continues....

November 17, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Truth-Bomb Thrower

Why would anyone care what the son of a dead politician, WHO ISN'T EVEN IN POLITICS, think about a potential candidate? Democrats are so logical when it comes to selecting their candidates. I guess that's why we're stuck with Obama.

November 17, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. J.P.

No person should ever sit nine terms in the United States Senate, nor House of Reps.

Term limits... a bad idea who's time has arrived.

November 17, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  5. Waiting for 2010

Good decision for him NOT to run. We don't need another Kennedy in office.

November 17, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  6. Nancy, CA

I am so impressed with Ted Kennedy, Jr. whenever I see him interviewed or speaking somewhere. I wish he would have decided to run for his father's former senate seat, but his feelings, at this time, are understandable. I hope he does decide to involve himself in the political arena on a greater level in the future. If he does, he will get my vote in a heartbeat, if I'm in a position to cast it for him.

November 17, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. George

I bet he will wake up if Sarah Palin moves to Mass. In the mean time, leave him alone. Go chase Sarah. She is all CNN cares about.

November 17, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  8. snowflake

Ted Kennedy, Jr. has shown that he has common sense, as well as respect for his father, by not endorsing any candidate. It's good to see that there are still a "few" people out there who have chosen to live life with lessons they have learned from their parents. I hope that one day, Ted will indeed jump into politics. I feel he would be a very great Congressman and/or Senator.

November 17, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Smart move since he doesn't know any of them. How much can he tell from their voting records and a short talk? I don't think he could learn enough to make a good evaluation.

November 17, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |