November 18th, 2009

Obama won't read Palin's book

Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.
Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.

(CNN) – Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid.

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

Related: North Korea, trade on agenda as Obama visits South Korea

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. cnn=right wing media and works for sarah "death pannel" palin

Smart people don't read gossip

November 18, 2009 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  2. Michael-SC

Obama is so right. He has so many briefings to read, no time for absurd.
    I rather read Mickey Mouse than a Palin fiction story and make her rich.

November 18, 2009 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  3. peggy

what a great man!

November 18, 2009 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  4. JM

Oh please. That's all he's done was make decisions or should I say non decisions based on furthering his career. Who is he trying to kid.

November 18, 2009 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  5. Sharon

So, is this a prediction that everything will be falling apart these next 4 years and then making a grand exit? Where is the confidence and leadership that most of us voted for?

November 18, 2009 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  6. Fitz in Texas

So, will Michelle read the book and tell Obama all about it?

November 18, 2009 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  7. GI Joe

Hey – if he does decide not to run, we can always talk Hillary into running against the Wasilla Hick.

November 18, 2009 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  8. ran

He will not be alone because I too will not be reading it. I just wish CNN would stop reporting on her. Enough is enough. How about reporting on our troops for a change.

November 18, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  9. Eleanor

No one except the stupidest 8% of the population will fork over the $8.99 to read her lies and score-settling. The woman is an empty dress with far too much public exposure. Enough of this Palin broad, already!

November 18, 2009 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  10. Fed Up

BIg shock there! He might actually get a dose of common sense and he sure doesn't want that.

November 18, 2009 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  11. Tram

What a great president we have!

Remember that speech near the end of the movie An American President with Michael Douglas? It's like he said - he has a job to do, it takes serious people to do it. We've got a serious president.

It is so good to be able to be proud of our president again! We couldn't do that for 8 years.

It is so good to be able to be proud to be an American again because we have a president who is a compliment to the American people, not an embarrassment like we had for 8 years.

Thank you, President Obama!

November 18, 2009 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  12. Michele

This man is absolutely brilliant. And I have said for weeks that I do not expect him to seek re-election, no matter his poll numbers in 2 years. He is a family man, and will be happy to return to Chicago, teach, write books, and advise the next President. He has a solid agenda for the US, and wonderful ideas to make us better and stronger, but politics is not his driving force...helping people is. That's what Republicans don't understand, because they are all about power and wealth for themselves.
    No matter how they earned their wealth (or did not, in the case of many legacy Republicans) they do not see any reason to help anyone else. That is the difference in the parties: respecting the right of everyone to be healthy and make a living, versus the I-have-it, you-can't-take-it mentality of Republicans.

November 18, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  13. jeremy.....Dallas...Texas

Thanks Mr President for considering the interest of Americans before self and party. Keep it.

November 18, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  14. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I wouldn't expect President Obama to read a book about nothing, it's a waste of his valuable time and mine too. Enough of this foolish, ignorance, untrusthworthy piece of Palin trailor trash.

November 18, 2009 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  15. wally

Jobs. Jobs. Jobs. Obama knows if we still have massive job losses and high goverment spending that he wont have a chance at reelection.

November 18, 2009 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  16. sarah

Shame on you, CNN for asking this President who not only was a victim of sarahpalin/with terriorist, most hateful campaign and rightly so, you should be asking Mcshame to apologize to Pres Obama for his pick. What a shame for this country to be asking such a stupid question. I won't even ask my 9 year old that. WOW...Cnn you got Palintized!

November 18, 2009 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  17. Seattle Sue

Hundreds of thousands of people expected to buy Sarah Palin's book, but on the flip side of that statement, millions of people will not buy Sarah Palin's book.

November 18, 2009 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  18. Keith in Austin

Maybe he'll READ the proposed Healthcare Bill. Then again, probably not!

November 18, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  19. shirley-atl

Ed Henry, once again you show what a real hack you are. The President said what he had to say and you end your piece by calling him a liar in the next to last paragraph. Reporters should just present the facts and not their opinion, just in case you don't know that

November 18, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  20. YVETTE

President Obama you are a good MAN. The best PRESIDENT america will ever see. YOU WILL ACHIEVE YOUR AND THE COUNTRIES GOAL WITH GOD'S HELP. TOU WILL WIN IN 2012.

November 18, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  21. Fred

He lies so bad! OH he's reading it and will most likely like it!!!!

November 18, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  22. Sean

If Obama cares about his reelection bid, he'd have done what Reagan had done... damaging our economy in the long run but looked good in the shortrun to boost his votes. Homeless people, poor people rarely vote.... and he's helping them, and giving them hands... if these people don't show up to vote for him, and his tax reversal on the rich will kill his election bid. But that's fine, because I can guarantee you, the next Prez, even if he/she is a GOP candidate, will not lower tax. Because we're in too much debt, and the only way is to pay for them in the long run. We're paying for the errors of Ronald Reagan, a little of Clinton, and a lot of George Bush.

November 18, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  23. M.

I'm sure he won't be missing anything...Her story reads like a stupid "tell all" story with rumors and petty small talk about people she dislikes. She seems like a nice person but with no real substance.

November 18, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  24. CHIPS

It appears that Americans would rather have idiots run this country than
    an intelligent man. Never mind the idiots are the ones who put us into this mess. I pity the American people. We stood by and watch the idiots ruin the country for 8 years, but we can't stand united to see it cleaned up for the next 8 years.

You can't dig a hole for 8 years and expect to refill it in one day. Wake up American, weather you like our President or not.

Peace out.

November 18, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  25. mary

Obama is leaving the door open to run or not to run. This health care issue, while sounding all warm and fuzzy could just as easily back fire with the tremendous cost to the taxpayer at a time when jobs are so critical and they are not being generated. That could have a most negative affect for re-election. I think he knows that.

November 18, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |