November 18th, 2009

Obama won't read Palin's book

Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.
Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.

(CNN) – Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

Related: North Korea, trade on agenda as Obama visits South Korea

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. JA/TN

great decision

November 18, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  2. joel

This past election was such a joke!!!
    We had Obama on one side and McCain / Palin on the other.

Some say the lesser of the two evils won that election.
    If that is so, how can he sound so "wishy washy" about a second term in office???

C'mon MR.PRESIDENT, you got what you wanted. Now, man up and take the bull by the ... HORNS and get some confidence.

If you are gonna be a "one and done" president why did you waste tax payer's time???

November 18, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  3. GWB2012

Good. Don't read her book. Just sit back and listen to the media criticize her and make you look like a hero. LOL

November 18, 2009 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  4. Duck Fallas

How can he expect to be considered a viable leader of the free world if he doesn't read Palin's book?

November 18, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  5. Bill

He'll run. He's never stopped running.

November 18, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. Rob

Good answers Mr. President!

November 18, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  7. JM

"But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid."

Interesting

November 18, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  8. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

GOOD THINKING..... only an illiterate would read Palin's dumb book

November 18, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  9. Jerry

Take a look at how many books Bush would read, he devoured them. I really don’t think BHO would understand the book any way, Sarah Palin is way over his head.

November 18, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  10. Todd

This man is a true leader. He is doing what is right, not what is politically expedient. And doing so in the face of a belligerent unthinking hostile opposition bent on nothing other than thwarting his every move regardless of the cost to the nation.

Why would such a man read the palin book? It would be like asking a universoity professor to read middle school essay - a total waste of time. He would get better information ad more relevant information from reading 17 magazine.

November 18, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  11. Taryn

Palin probably can't read her own book.....

November 18, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  12. Chris Clark

CNN and the left continue their fascination with Sarah Palin. Never before has a woman (and her family) been so brutalized in the media and no women's group stood up for her. All women's rights/advocacy groups should just disban because they put politics first not women.

November 18, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  13. Jay T.

I think it is pretty clear at this point Palin's book will be a poorly written piece of fiction (for those Palin fans, fiction means "not fact based." Non-fiction is when a book is based on fact. I know a lot of third graders get tripped up on that.)

November 18, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  14. emma zinkiewicz

He has a lot on his plate. We all should reunite and help our country prosper instead of talking about the next election. We just voted him in and we should see how he does for the next three years.

November 18, 2009 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  15. Richie

If the president wasted his time reading Lynn Vincent's dimwit book, now, that would be upsetting.

November 18, 2009 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  16. Kewpie

I hope Sarah Palin is just stupid enough to run.

November 18, 2009 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  17. Ricardo

CNN's Ed Henry's a very short brain. What sort of a question in an interview to his President is whether he'll read Palin's book about to be published. In a moment when the president Obama needs all the calmnes and help to make his negotiation with China. Ed makes you think he's a gossiper. Media should worry about more needed information. There are a lot much more interesting news for a real newsman. Ed looks to care more to sell papers.

November 18, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  18. inofritzn

OK this is getting way ridiculous. Obama mentions he may not seek re-election, and CNN titles the headline about not reading Palin's book. I'm thinking the whole not running again thing is a bit more important.

November 18, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  19. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

Thank you President Obama for putting the country FIRST and your political party and power second.

A lesson that should not be wasted on the current set of neo-cons.

November 18, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  20. RANCE

Intelligent people won't.

November 18, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. Dean

The highly-anticipated memoir by Sarah Palin , What a joke you mean the one she didn't write. I won't be wasting my time reading or money buying it either. In fact someone should start a campaign to collect them for burning.

November 18, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  22. deb0155

What a jerk!

November 18, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  23. Barbara

Mr. President... please do not even suggest that you might not be in the running in the 2012. Don't even conjecture. I understand how frustrating it must be when EVERYTHING you try to do is so loudly critized by your political opponents, but... feel confident that those who stood behind you in your historic win.... will still be there at the end of this term. They may not be the noisiest now, but they will be loud and excited in giving you an even larger majority.

November 18, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  24. George

I will not read it either. If I want lies, I'll watch Fox News.

November 18, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  25. Tank

You could win again Barack. I didn't think americans would be dumb enough to vote for you the first time, but I was waaay off. I haven't lost faith in government, I have lost faith in the people who elect these morons.

November 18, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |