November 18th, 2009

Obama won't read Palin's book

Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.
Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.

(CNN) – Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid.

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

Related: North Korea, trade on agenda as Obama visits South Korea

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Cindy

You can't find any papers he wrote, published while in college, what else would you expect from the teleprompter president that has no clue and is incompetent.

November 18, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  2. shmeckel

I am sure that the 300 people writing the Palin hate comments right now will not buy the book either. If you want liberals to read an article just mention the name Palin.

November 18, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  3. Kyle-Independent

Very intelligent man. I hope you succeed because if you do, than the country does too. We can't take 4 bad years, we just can't

November 18, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  4. Steve (the real one)

He won't read her book, she probably didn't read his books. Sorry but I don't see what the news is here!

November 18, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  5. Tim

Of course he won't, because he's close-minded

November 18, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  6. Bluebonnet

His numbers WILL be in the tank so he need not bother to run!

November 18, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  7. Matt

Why would he read Palin's book? That would be too bipartisan and completely out of his character.

November 18, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. Rumsfeld

With less than a year in the office, President Obama has made progress restoring confidence in the United States and continues to make the tough decisions required of the office. So far, he has my vote in 2012.

November 18, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  9. seebofubar

I seriously hope that all of you who believe the lies coming from Obama's mouth remember where he came from, Chicago, and who he learned his politcs and policies from, Mayor Daley and Rev. Wight. I live in Chicago and am acutely aware of Obama's mission and methods. He will do or say anything to further his political career and anti-american pilicies. You need to wake up and see him for what he is, the single biggest mistake this country has ever made.

November 18, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  10. hongli

Why should President Obama waste his time reading a "piece of trash" about a woman who keep changing her stories by the minute ? This book will be enjoyed by white racial Republicans who couldn't care less. Did anyone notice the States that Palin is visiting? Go figure.

November 18, 2009 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  11. amrish

he's got better things to do – like – undoing 8 years of BUSH/CHENEY screwups -

November 18, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. Tim

My guess is that he talk's to himself more than you would want to know. I mean, how can't such an inspiring speaker not talk to himself. It's self motivating. He's so perfect.

November 18, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. hlong

i think our present president will rebound way before election time, and be able to show americans that time heal wounds.

November 18, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  14. Susan

Smart guy! I won't be reading her book either. She definitely has an over-inflated ego ... something I find distasteful!

November 18, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  15. Gary

Presidents don't read comic books..

November 18, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  16. terry,va

If you are relying on your stance on health care and Iran, you are toast. You haven't lead on health care and have lied about abortion and illegal aliens being covered. Iran has played you like a piano. Just talk and adjusting your deadlines show you are weak and if they could strike us they would because they know you won't do anything about it. What is your position when they attack Israel? I know you will make a big speech saying we won't put up with it. Good thing Israel has the guts to back them off, cause you won't. Look for Israel to handle Iran with 6 months. They don't blah,blah,blah.

November 18, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  17. Lorraine - Ontario Canada

President Obama has had multiple challenges to work through since taking office from the Bush Administration. Anyone that expects him to fix 8 years of Bush policies in less than a year are asking far too much of any human being. He's working on one solution at a time and fixing what needs to be fixed.

I find it deplorable that so many American's are already upset with this man. Quick fixes during a recession are not possible. Getting your wars dealt with in less than a year is not possible. Getting health care for everyone is not possible in less than a year. Give this man time to fix the ills of your country.

As for Sarah Palin's new book – it belongs in the round filing cabinet as I've said before. Packed full of her lies and her one sided beliefs. I won't say more on the subject of a person that belongs back at home taking care of her family instead of spewing forth garbage verbally and in a written word.

Kudos to Obama for talking the straight talk still.

November 18, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  18. Give us a break

TOTAL BULLCRAP as is everything that comes out of Obama's mouth.

If he doesn't read Palin's book you can bet his wife will read it.
    Obama may not run in 2012 ?? that statement alone proves Obama thinks we are all idiots. And in 2012 when he loses big time, he'll learn the meaning of:
    fool us once shame on you, fool us twice NO WAY

November 18, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  19. Mo Louis

I am not surprised that the President is not going to read Governor Palin's book. Both are politicans and would probably not admit they probably have already read each other books. Going Rogue, The Audacity of Hope, Oops People of Color Live There, The Bad Banks of Wall Street are all interesting books that will be secretly read by many who will deny they read them.

November 18, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

In regards to you NOT reading Sarah's book: I'm glad to hear that you along with millions of intelligent Americans choose not to add to this dingbat's coffers by buying or reading her incoherent lies. It is political of you to say that she that she has a 'constituency' in the GOP. That constiutency however, consists of neo-con lunatics in the far, far, far right who have no interest in getting this country back on it's feet, but only to tear it out of your hands.

November 18, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  21. Jim

Think of it: the President is in China working on issues; Ms. Palin is whining away on the talk shows. Thank heavens the adults won this time.

November 18, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  22. Mike

No problem, alot more people will buy Sarah's book than nobamas. Also at the rate nobama is going he might as well skip the thought of reelection because it will not happen especially is government health care passes along with the cap and tax. The American people are tired of his and the demorats spending money we do not have. He is to busy bowing to other heads of state and stomping on this country with his aplogizes. If he was a Republican the liberal media would have eaten his lunch long before now.

November 18, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  23. mema

Good for you Pres. Obama. Why contaminate such a wonderful mind this partisan nonesense from someone who knows nothing, but thinks she knows everything. God bless you, your family, and your staff. You are doing a fantastic job!

November 18, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  24. kcl

Can't wait to hear her whine about this....the lady thinks the world revolves around her. If she would just realize the type of people she draws......oh well.

November 18, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  25. Shannon - Chapel Hill, NC

What a joke this network has become. No wonder it is in last place. Drag out Palin again today?

November 18, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |