November 18th, 2009

Obama won't read Palin's book

Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.
Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.

(CNN) – Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid.

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

Related: North Korea, trade on agenda as Obama visits South Korea

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. precious

Why should he. He already has made "History", so nothing else will matter after 2012. He got to the level he wanted "the first". So all he has to do, is let others do the job.

We can all "dream" – but "dream" doesn't always comes true.

November 18, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  2. Mike S.

Obama 78% of the vote, Palin 22%.

November 18, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  3. Eunice of Memphis

Please continue the great job you are doing for the American People. I will support you again in 2012.

November 18, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  4. Russ in Benton

President obama, like any intelligent American, can read Sarah Palin without reading any book.

November 18, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. Avis

What a class act. President Obama has brought back to the Oval Office what has been sorely missing for 60 years.

Integrity

Class

Carin.

and a true Love for America.

I can't say as much for any President since FDR. If President Obama leaves after four years we can be rest assured that America will truly be a better place than what existed when he took the helm as President when he leaves.

However, I'm already casting my vote for Obama/Biden 2012.

November 18, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  6. Black Viper

I am not wasting any penny of my money to buy that garbage as well.
    A book fool of lies design to please a very uneducated portion of the population please, i am not interested.
    I buy books for knowledge. I am not interested in no drama

November 18, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  7. yellowbmblbee

Anyone with an IQ above 60 won't read this trashy, whiny piece of garbage.

November 18, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  8. Danny J

The cynic in me smells a deal previously made between Clinton and Obama

November 18, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  9. kathy

Why would the President read Palin's book...it can't be anything more than tabloid fodder...her life story has already been told on the cover of every magazine anyhow...why would anyone waste the money on the book?......cuz what has she really accomplished???...nothing. I will not be buying the book either...not even when i see it at a yardsale come spring~

November 18, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  10. Chtei

I think the President clearly has better things to do than read the book of one of the most delusional radical right wingers in the US. Like clean up the disaster they left this nation in. Heck, first graders probably wouldn't be impressed by her intellectual rigor.

November 18, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  11. getReal

Yea right, if that were the case you would have stopped campaigning and started being a president. I'm sure many will be fooled by your words though. I, will not be buying it this time. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. You won't be getting another of my votes...

November 18, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  12. Tom n VA

Why should he read it? He's a smart guy.

A smart person wouldn't waste their time reading a hard cover version of the National Enquirer? ...Unless it was for the pure entertainment value of the thing.

November 18, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. LIP

I was hoping he would read it and then maybe answer one of those Barnes and Nobles email review requests. Then maybe after reading his review, it would help me make a decision as to whether or not I would want to read it. I guess I'll just have to stop by a B&N and pick up a copy, sit down and read it for free over a latte.

November 18, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  14. Lost in Texas FOREVER

well I guess now we have to find out who will and who won't read Sarah Palin's book. ALL SARAH, ALL THE TIME CNN..this is kind of getting tiresome.

November 18, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  15. Sam Sixpack

Obama spends the past few days sucking up to our new communist masters and we get another fluff piece about Sarah Palin.

November 18, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  16. Selina

he can only read from a teleprompter,

or maybe he'll buy newsweek..L L

November 18, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. Briana the college student

Why would he? Even if he wasn't the president why would anyone want to pick up that book.

November 18, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  18. bill

Regarding the Palin "ghost writer written book", the logical conclusion is "JUST SAY NO!"

November 18, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  19. Jim

Yeah..."briefing books"...and a socialist book from Hugo Chavez . Shocker.

November 18, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  20. Tania

Please, someone, please (or maybe it's in the works already) - to shut all of them up - do a line-by-line analysis of Sarah's "book" - for verification, truth, and all that. And maybe compare her speech patterns to the sentence structure in the book. Sheesh, my 15-year-old nieces have more grey matter than this whacko. And she did not even hesitate when asked to be VP candidate? Even a Rhodes Scholar would say "let me consider this" first. Ah, entertainment, painful and awful, but still entertaining.

November 18, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  21. Anon

Guess he doesn't need any fire starting material. Neither do I.

November 18, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  22. Mike

I would rather read Dr. Seuss. At least I know those stories are meant to be a made up story. Besides, to read her book I would ahve to but it. Buying it would be helping her pay off her debt, which is why she wrote it in the first place. I will not be doing either. She should ahve called the book "Aste" becasue all she does is whine!

November 18, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  23. terry,va

Read the book. It couldn't be any worst that your fairy tell story. I can't believe you said today "that at some point the American people will begin to lose faith in the economy because of the deficit." What planet have you been on? I have no faith that you can solve a 12 cent deficit, much less than a 12 trillion dollar deficit. Obummie you better stay overseas to keep your rock star status intact. Your 15 minutes of fame is up in this country. Unfortunately it will take another 3 years to kick your behind out.

November 18, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  24. Deb (Long Island, NY)

This is why I love our President. I feel he is honest and to the point unlike authors who compromise their integrity by lying in their memoirs. Also, let us not forget that our President has not had any cooperation from across the isle. The Republicans have made it impossible for the President to move ahead on any agenda.

November 18, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  25. CNN afraid of a liberal post

Again, President Obama shows good sense.

November 18, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |