November 18th, 2009

Obama won't read Palin's book

Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.
Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.

(CNN) – Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid.

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

Related: North Korea, trade on agenda as Obama visits South Korea

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Tune in to FOX for news

Barack Obama, you are running this country into the ground. I am so looking forward to 2010 & 2012. Republicans will be back at the wheel just in time to clean up your mess.

Obama IS ACORN.

November 18, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. George

Good on you for not reading the book. You have more important things to do. Stop the two wars and take care of the economy.

November 18, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Independant Vet

Why did they waste there to ask him such a question.

Have they not realized , he is busy giving away American dollars. Soon they will be taking up collections for fuel .

What a 40 day wonderer. 2012 can not come soon eneough .

November 18, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. Indy

I would not invest in this book until it is fully fact checked. Palin has a fantastic record of lying and blaming everyone else but herself, so why would anyone purchase a book by a known liar ? I find her interesting, but could never trust what she says without fact checking. If I have to fact check a book before buying it, I simply would not buy it. There are far more important things to spend money on then a book from one of Americas best known liars.I am sure Obama will be blasted for not reading her book, and he would be blasted if he was to say that he would read her book.My take is if you have any appetite for the truth, you would waste your hard earned money feeding this celebrity by buying her book of blame.

November 18, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. Terry, TX

He doesn't have time to read biographies...stupid question as usual....I already have my copy...great reading. Barry needs to read ALL the two thousand health bill scams... Americans also need to read them....hey media...you guys need to read them....You do not read it...or have the time to read...vote no. Americans call or email your representatives.

Harry's Bill has been sitting at CBO for a month...why couldn't we have it at the same time. I would be glad to put Palin's book down....to read the Health Care ... I read HR3200 and the most recent Nancy Bill... crappolla.

November 18, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  6. Fox Filbert

A foreign billionaire buys major market media, including television and newspapers and then buys up mom and pop radio stations in rural areas so he controls the message to a supermajority of the population.

He hires TV personalities who put their egos above their moral character, their love of country, and the constitution.

The big three personalities try to incite hate and fear among their viewers with the hope that the people will go to the streets and try to tear down our government by misrepresenting facts and our constitution.

November 18, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  7. gary

The only way he could read it is if it were on a teleprompter. lol HA!

November 18, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  8. BJs65

Now there is a politician I can respect. One who makes decisions based on what our country NEEDS, not based on polls and reelection chances.

We've needed this for the LONGEST time. Thank you Mr. President.

November 18, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  9. Josh NYC

Well I'm glad to hear he's not going to run in 2012. Of course with his record of keeping his word, I'm not holding my breath. Still, it gives cause to hope.

November 18, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  10. Jamie

He lived it, why should he read that twit's revisionist history? Good for you, Mr. President, its not like you'll be missing anything.

November 18, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  11. closetoyou

I'm not reading it either. Nothing about this woman interests me.

November 18, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  12. Kraig Rasool

The reading of Palin's so called memoirs is a non-isssue for the
    president...and even to ask the question is ludicrous as far as Im
    concerned. With the many issues, problems and foolish antics that
    parade around him he should continue to stay focus on the task at
    hand....Im quite certain if the situation was reversed and Palin was
    asked would she read Obama's memoirs she would have plenty
    to say ending with No...Problem...cause...reaction should be his
    concern and so far he is headed in the right direction in correcting
    and maintaining a solid base for his followers to stand on.

November 18, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  13. Matt Shine

I severely doubt that Obama would sit out 2012. I'm sure that many will say this is all posturing on his part, and that may be so in some cases, but I think he his being honest in that his re-election is not playing a major part in how he is doing his job (for better or worse).

I'll vote for him next time I have the chance.

November 18, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  14. Jackie in Dallas

That's a wise thing to say, for a President. He's trying to make decisions based on what is right for the country, not on what will get him re-elected.

Reminds me of one of the most thought-provoking lines from the movie "The American President" starring Michael Douglas - "I was so busy trying to keep my job that I forgot to DO my job." I think this is endemic in Washington...people deciding thing on what will get them re-elected, and not what is best. Both parties...

November 18, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  15. beevee

Good decision by President Obama not to read her book. It is a total waste of time. Watch David Letterman on what he thinks about the book.

November 18, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  16. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

If he knows that he can't do the best job for the country, it sounds like he won't run for a second term. It could also be said that if he can't deliever (and has low poll numbers) on his promises, then he may not run either. Right now, 2012 is really too far away to speculate.

November 18, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. hooverguide

For far too many politicans, getting elected means immediately thinking about how to get re-elected. A former U.S. Representative from Oregon told me every politican who wants to be re-elected must compromise – the goals and ideals that got them elected will mostly likely not get them re-elected. They must settle for the quiet middle of the road if they want to keep their jobs. It seems most decisions that should be made for the good of all, are made for the purpose of re-election.

November 18, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  18. Jack

It seems likely to me that 2010 will bring the Republican party back into power in a big, big way. Thereafter, the political landscape will likely be so devastatingly acrimonious that Congress will accomplish absolutely nothing. Obama's chances of re-election in 2012 will be slim and slimmer as we grind deeper into economic decline and as the right-wing hate machine rolls ever forward in its control of public debate.

November 18, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  19. Dennis

If it's not on a teleprompter, Obama won't read it. Just like the bills coming from Congress.

November 18, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. RWM

Is it not at least slightly ironic that Sarah Palin, eternally decried by the media for her lack of experience, is struggling to stay in the spotlight whilst a man with far less work history and no record of accomplishments occupies the White House? Only in America Is this a great country or WHAT?.

November 18, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. Al Bluengreenenbrownenburger

Sarah Palin is the Anna Nicole Smith of politics: famous for absolutely no reason other than being famous, utterly devoid of talent, self-seeking in the extreme, and generally repugnant.

I bet McCain severely regrets foisting this monstrosity upon the American people..

November 18, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. RWM

Is it not at least slightly ironic that Sarah Palin, eternally decried by the media for her lack of experience, is struggling to stay in the spotlight whilst a man with far less work history and no record of accomplishments occupies the White House? Only in America..... Is this a great country or WHAT?

November 18, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  23. RWM

Is it not at least slightly ironic that Sarah Palin, eternally decried by the media for her lack of experience, is struggling to stay in the spotlight whilst a man with far less work history and no record of accomplishments occupies the White House? Only in America– Is this a great country or WHAT?

November 18, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  24. Edna J. Gullatt

I see no reason why President Obama would read Sarah Palin's book, which is full of lies. She attacked him during the campaign and still has the nerve to second-guess him, as unknowledgeable as she is about anything substantive. She is a total waste of the air that she breathes. And, no, I am not afraid of her. If the Republican Party wants her to run in 2012 and she takes it on, I say go for it. She would never be able to handle all of the intricacies of a presidency. I hope President Obama does run for a second term, but if he doesn't, I would surely understand why. This country has a pocket of racist, nasty, violent people who are not ready for someone who is as intelligent as he is. They are afraid of people who are wise and kind at the same time. And, I can just imagine what Michelle is saying behind closed doors. After all, she is still a Black woman who loves her man and to hear the uglines spewing from the small pockets of this country can not make her happy. I am sure that she would be happy to go back to being a normal couple with a couple of lovely children.

November 18, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  25. AEK

At least if President Obama did want to read the book Mrs. Palin had written for her, he could pick up a copy pretty cheap. Down to $8 or less? Probably the fault of the liberal media picking on her again. How pesky of them wanting to report the actual facts instead of her unbelievably skewed idea of the facts.

November 18, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |