November 18th, 2009

Obama won't read Palin's book

Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.
Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.

(CNN) – Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid.

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

Related: North Korea, trade on agenda as Obama visits South Korea

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. conservativeTEXAN

"Obama won't read Palin's book" what a headline to attract people to read this article.....CNN the AMERICAN people are tired, unemployed and worn out.......just title this article as President Obama's foreign policy. It is what it is. We have had enough of PALIN and now here she is again, talking about herself, her family, WHO CARES and no solutions for the AMERICAN people. Please CNN stay focused. The crime rate is up because the economy is bad we need and want solutions, not Palin.

November 18, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  2. No stopping Sarah now......

she's loaded with dough and free from the Governor's office.......and ready to go on the offensive....

Sarah Palin/Liz Cheney 2012'

Obama is ONE and DONE.

November 18, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  3. Peoples Voice

Palin is too busy getting richer to run for office.

November 18, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

I don't blame President Obama. I won't be reading her trash either.
    Like most people, I wish Sarah Palin would just go away!

November 18, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  5. Hannah

To begin with she didn't even write this book, a ghost writer did. People are not even talking about that. Palin is nothing more than a failed, former beauty queen trying to capitalize on her run for VP, a huge mistake made by the "maverick" John McCain. I think McCain now realizes that he let this genie out of the bottle and wishes now that he hadn't done that. But she will fade away at some time. There is no substance there and most people realize that.

November 18, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. George W Bush = Worst President Ever

I can't imagine that Obama would want to miss an opportunity to run against Sarah or her two sock puppets, Mr. Mittens and Little Timmy.

November 18, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. Ren from Baltimore

Ok-this guy is a very classy person, heart in the right place. Bless him, his family, and the nation.

November 18, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. Big D

Notice he didn't include the bills that he signs (Stimulus) as things that he gets a chance to read.

November 18, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Steve in Ct

Hopefully by 2012 he'll have lost favor to the point he wouldn't be viable. Then Hillary will run and we can hear more fabricated stories of how she's a hero. Remember her story of when she and Chelsea needed to dodge bullets whizzing past their heads while disembarking a plane. When called on it the party said she'd mis-spoke. That's democra5t for lied. By then "Death Panels" will be up and running. It's already started by suggesting women skip a decade before mamograms. I know how important breast health is as I wear a pink ribbon in memory of my beloved wife. And the blind liberals aren't able to see what's already started? Pay closer attention people.

November 18, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. Richard L

Barack Obama is not like George W. Bush who found time to read "The Pet Goat".

November 18, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Danny

CNN you're pathetic. Start reporting on some REAL news. The fact that Obama will not read Palin's book is obvious. A majority won't be reading that book, myself included. But to make a thousand word article about something so insignifciant and obvious is just stupid. Hire some real journalists.

November 18, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. John D.

This man will go down as the worst president in the history of the United States. He is destroying this country. The people he has surrounded himself with are all associated with disreputable entities. Anita Dunn is bowing out to make room for her husband, Bauer, to move into the inner circle. He is just as controversial as she was. Does anyone see any change, transparency or ethics yet? The waste being overseen by this administration is almost as sickening as Obama himself. One more thing. Why does his wife need 22 aides at the taxpayers expense when all other president wives only had one and their pay came out of the Presidents pay?

November 18, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. Jayden,FL

If and thats a Big If Obama decides not to run in 2012 for re-election Joe Biden cannot win a General Election! so none other than Hillary Clinton will have to pick up the slack!

November 18, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. ben

Personally, I think the President has a lot more important things to do than read Sarah Palin's book. She'll make enough money from without he and I buying and reading it.

November 18, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. benvictor

Love the spirit of Sarah and Alaska. Sarah is as genuine as the Spirit that once was America. May her spirit inspire America again, for we are in deep trouble. As Sarah believes, Providence has guided her and family. Great Book.

November 18, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. Laurie in Spokane

I think Obama's reading abilities extend beyond cartoons, words of one syllable, and craton sketches. Use her book like the Sears catalogs were used back in the early 1900's......in the outhouse.

November 18, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. JJ

He's not the only one that won't be reading it. I actually might have if she had written her own memoirs all by herself. Someone who has been a governor, a vice presidential candidate, and potentially a presidential candidate (ha!), shouldn't need a ghost writer. Although if she had written it herself, I might read it for a good laugh.

November 18, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. Sensible Joe

Working as President of the United States is a busy job, so he probably doesn't have much time for fiction. Looks like Obama is in the 84% who expressed no desire to read Palin's book in CNN polls.

November 18, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. Mark from Louisiana

Funny how the AP has a dozen editors fact checking Palin's book but they never fact checked obama or bidens books.

November 18, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  20. Slider

Mr. President, you and the rest of this country is going to find out in the next two election cycles what the American people are getting very tired of hearing from the two major political parties.

Palin is immersing herself and ingratiating herself with the people who have this sentiment and their needs.

We are not all "soup-line" indigents, sir.

November 18, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. len

If you want to stop the war, stop the war profiteering. Take a play from FDR's playbook and tax the profit out of the industries selling to the conflict. As Woody Guthrie said, take the profit out of war and there will be fewer of them.

November 18, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  22. Razorback

He has to run again. As Campaigner in Chief, running for office is what he does best. Once he gets in office though, it's a different story.
    And c'mon CNN, with all the traveling he's doing and the leaders he has been meeting, this is the most you can get from it?

November 18, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  23. FedUp

Hopefully a planned wolf hunt via helicopter or some other less than humane technique, favored by Palin and her pawns, will cause a scheduling conflict and we will spared from her duplicitous dialogue of deception in 2012.

Is her book in the bargin bin yet?

November 18, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  24. Martie

CNN's obsession with Sarah Palin will hurt them in the end. Can we say falling ratings guys??? Or is this simply a ploy to try and increase them at the expense of common decency??? Either way you guys are now a tabloid... Wonder if you will print this. Somehow I doubt it – the truth is not in you!

November 18, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  25. pc

President Obama has better things to do than to read Palin's fictional book. All this book is about is making money for her and her family, especially her husband, who quit his job. The Palins stabbed their Republican friends in the back and they, like Levi, will do anything for money! Bravo to you, President Obama, you don't have time for this garbage. Shame on you Sarah Palin, cashing in on anyone you can just so you can make a buck! And oh, by the way! What about the lies in the book that the media are calling you on??? You are not a person of integrity, just a gold digger!!!

November 18, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |