November 18th, 2009

Obama won't read Palin's book

Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.
Obama said he probably won't ready Palin's new book.

(CNN) – Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to buy Sarah Palin's just-released memoir, but don't count President Obama among them.

In an interview with CNN's Ed Henry in China, the president acknowledged Wednesday he would not be reading the highly-anticipated memoir by his potential 2012 opponent.

"I probably won't, but I don't get a chance to read things other than briefing books very often these days anyway," he said.

Obama also suggested he views the former Alaska governor as a credible candidate should she decide to seek the presidency in a couple of years.

"You know, she obviously has a big constituency in the Republican Party," he said. "You know, there a lot of people who are excited by her."

But when it comes to the 2012 race, Obama didn't discount the possibility he may sit out on a reelection bid.

"You know, if - if I feel like I've made the very best decisions for the American people and three years from now I look at it and, you know, my poll numbers are in the tank and because we've gone through these wrenching changes, you know, politically, I'm in a tough spot, I'll - I'll feel all right about myself," Obama told CNN's Ed Henry during an interview in China.

Related: North Korea, trade on agenda as Obama visits South Korea

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," the president also said. "Obviously, if I make those decisions and I think that I'm moving the country on the right direction economically, in terms of our security interests, our foreign policy, I'd like to think that those policies are continued because they're not going to bear fruit just in four years."

But in the next breath the president quickly sounded like someone who would relish taking his case to the American people in 2012, saying he's tackling big issues like health care and Iran that he's confident will bear fruit in the future.

The last president not to seek reelection was Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Filed under: Extra • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Matt

Did anyone think that he'd read Sarah Palin's book? Come on CNN.

Based on what Obama has done since he's gotten into office, I hope that he decides NOT to run again.

Unfortunately, because of his massive ego, he will continue to hijack the American dream, grow government, debt and ineptitude and ultimately scar our country for years to come. But, the US generally recovered from Carter. We will also recover when Obama is voted out.

November 18, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  2. Learn how to talk before you write!

Oh please, the President of the United States does not have time to entertain such trash as a Palin book. What a stupid question to ask this great man. The National Inquirer would be a more appropriate read for him when compared to this lady's book of drama. Go join a soap opera Palin.

November 18, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  3. Saad

Time and again, President Obama proves that he is a sensible man. I am so glad he is our leader. It's hard to undo teh damage that's been done to our country in last 8 years but I know he'll do whatever he possibly can.

November 18, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  4. unimpressed

the guy is working hard to set the country straight, and what makes a headline "won't read Palin's book"? Pah-lease!

November 18, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  5. CITIZEN

Of course he won't read the book. He's too busy SPENDING the USA into oblivion. The DEBT the USA now carries will CONTINUE to INCREASE for the next three yeaqrs of his administration. He will continue to tell the voting American Public he's on their side and is pushing for WHAT THEY WANT. Belive this! Well, the dummies that voted him in will get just what they were looking for. INEXPERIENCE. We will be mirede in debt forever. A new President and administration as well as – TERM LIMITS are what we will need to get us out of this mess. I don't expect to see this in my life time. The "death panel" will see to that!

November 18, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. Al - Washington

That doesn't surprise anyone. I wonder if he read the book Chavez gave him? Does he take time to read even a single Scripture? He did claim to be a Christian, didn't he? Whether Sarah Palin does or does not run for President in 2012, he needs to hand over the reins to someone who cares about the country, which he obviously does not. If he did, he wouldn't be knocking out the foundations of this country they way he has been doing in only 1 year. Even his own party appears to be having reservations at the point.

November 18, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  7. AUSTIN,TX

nor will I...next topic

November 18, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. The REAL republican motto: "In Fear We Trust"

I won't read Palins tell-all either – I stopped reading comic books when I was about 12. If I wanted to expose myself to self-serving, slanted, tabloid demagoguery then I'd just flip on Fox or any of the right-wing AM talk shows and save myself the cost of her book.

November 18, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. bob in LA

Good for him on all counts. He doesn't have time to read fiction and decisions are being made that are not based on re-election.
    If the latter is true- we're in good hands.

November 18, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. DD

Umm. The President says he might not seek re-election and you're leading this story about him not reading Palin's book? What's wrong with you people?

November 18, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  11. Tim

Dear Mr. President:
    I won't be reading this book either. I'm not going to waste my time reading such blithering folderol. I do wish that she'd speak in public again. I'm all for crazy people speaking in public. It makes it so much for fun for the listener.

November 18, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  12. Travis In Colorado

Obama is such a liar, just a few months ago how many books did he claim he read in a week? And that's other than his "briefings" and reports. Liar Liar pants on fire!

November 18, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. K in Florida

Our President has stated he doesn't want to make decisions based on getting Re-elected......!

WOW, this is exactly what drives the Republican Party, everything they say and do is based on the next election and has nothing to do with the people they are suppose to serve.....!

President Obama is a rare breed, he's the exact opposite of a Republican....

If only the Republican followers cared for one second about the integrity of their party, they would leave that party in droves....

But it's obvious Republican supporters care more about sticking with their white tribe than what is best for them and any other American for that matter.....

November 18, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  14. Shecky

Too funny. He's already figured out he's going to be a One Termer.

November 18, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  15. Carol

I've found one thing I can disagree with President Obama about, the credibility of Palin as President of our United States of America. Maybe he was just trying to be polite.

November 18, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  16. BestProfitCompany = WAR

Good! The president should read something that he learns from and not a tabloid book (Going rouge).

November 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. Observant 1

"I said to myself very early on, even when I started running for office, I don't want to be making decisions based on getting reelected, because I think the challenges that America faces right now are so significant," .

Okay, prove it...revamp the tax codes make it easier for businesses to want to stay in the USA., create huge penalities for companies that are outsourcing. Stop giving stimulus funds to large companies, no more bank bailout and no more insurance bailout. Put healthcare reform on the burner until jobs are created.

Otherwise, it is just reelection talk

November 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. Mercedes

Good for you President Obama!!

November 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  19. Gregory Hoffmann

I am still unable to understand how the woman who was unable to prove that she was an intelligent and competent Vice Presidential candidate, is being considered a strong candidate for the 2012 Presidential campaign. A Palin administration, I'm afraid to say, could actually make one miss the Bush years! Of course, just like with Bush, much of that would depend on who her VP was.

November 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  20. Beverly in NC

Why would an extremely intelligent Constitutional scholar waste his time reading a book Palin didn't write and is nothing but whining and blaming others for all her miserable failures. Sarah Palin is a nobody desperately trying to stay in the media that she supposedly hates so much. The only people who like her as stupid as she is.

President Obama has serious issues to finish handling and doesn't have time for a tabloid self-serving book about an extremist nutjob.

Palin needs to quit telling lies and go home and practice her "family values" – whatever those are this week.

November 18, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  21. Dar

Of course he doesnt have time to read it, he is to busy reading about comunist leaders and how they came to power.

November 18, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  22. whaley41

Great news reporting CNN. What did you expect him to say? He is to elitist to read anything about middle America. Just like his Hollywood cronies.

November 18, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. Emma

Obama is a silver-tongued guy. He is also a critical thinker and would probably not be daunted if Palin were his opponent in an election. We could probably predict the outcome of such an election.

November 18, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. Carlos

Obower doesn't care if he gets reelected or not, if he gets his socialist policies passed he will be happy to set back and collect his gov check.

November 18, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. Chris Kirkpatrick

The title of this article is quite deceptive. It makes it sound as if the President would not read her book, when in truth he doesn't have the time. I think that he had the chance to be critical of Sarah Palin and chose the higher road. It's refreshing when not every politician is out for blood.

November 18, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |