November 18th, 2009

Senate Majority leader unveils chamber's health care proposal

Senate Majority leader unveils chamber's health care proposal.
Senate Majority leader unveils chamber's health care proposal.

Washington (CNN) – Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Wednesday unveiled a sweeping health care bill that would expand health insurance coverage to 30 million more Americans at an estimated cost of $849 billion over 10 years.

Reid and other Senate Democrats cited an analysis by the non-partisan
Congressional Budget Office for the coverage and cost figures. In addition, they told a news conference, the CBO estimated the proposal would reduce the federal deficit by $127 billion over the next 10 years and by more than $600 billion in the following decade.

The proposal drafted from two separate bills approved by Senate committees now goes to the full Senate, where Republicans have vowed to try to block it.

Filed under: Health care • Senate
  1. Lone Wolf

The Repubs are obstructionist, selfish morons. The American people spoke in the last election, but apparently they don't care about us. They just want to see the Dems fail so they can try to regain power. It's all about politics and money to them, which is why only 20% of Americans consider themselves Repubs.

November 18, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. annie against biased news

Put this old fool reid on this health care plan!

November 18, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  3. Eli

Now that the Senate Democrats had delivered a bill that:

* covers 30 million more Americans,
    * reduces the federal deficit by $727 billion over the next 20 years, and
    * costs of $849 billion over 10 years.

Where are the Republicans in the Senate?
    I say join the struggle to better America or get out of the way.

Tucson, AZ

November 18, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. Karl Warrington

I only hope that Democrats have a enough sense this time to support "something" that will get as many people covered as possible. For me that's what counts. I am tired of paying for people who are not insured in my premiums, Dr. bills, and hospital bills. We must spread the risk by ensuring every man, woman, and child so we can pay for these costs in a cost effective way not absurd haphazard way. What would you rather pay? $50 per year in a higher income tax or $1500 a year, over-and-above, in your medical bills over a life time? Universal coverage is the way to go.

November 18, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. Mickey

Good...now cram it right down the Republicans' pie hole. Remember the old saying...you are either with us or against us.

Republicans are AGAINST us...they're against YOU.

GOP: Evolve or die...

November 18, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  6. Obamunism must go.

Obozo ordered this bill, but it will be D.O.A. in the Senate.

November 18, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  7. Rush Limburger

Have I died and gone to heaven? Hurrah for the old Democratic Party!

November 18, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  8. JIM

Read the bill, it is weak on facts and details and it has a Full Public option, my tax dollars paying for abortion (code word is reproductive health), an open invitation to illegal immigrants and this all revolves around foolish – fuzzy math.. This is a joke right? When has a govt run program really worked as promised? NAME ONE.

November 18, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. John

There is an underlying problem I see with this rush toward a health care bill, and that is it seems to be working really hard toward covering those who have no health insurance (which would seem to be admirable) but I do not see how it is going to help the millions and millions who have overpriced, pathetic health insurance. It seems to me that I am going to have to continue with my ludicrously expensive poor coverage while at the same time funding possibly better insurance for others. Is there anybody who can debunk this? I really want to know. I would gladly support a bill that helps everyone, or at least most people, but not one that costs me and gives me nothing.

November 18, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  10. demsrulz

Poor poor repugs! Done deal! Next on our agenda EFCA! Go dems!

November 18, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  11. Jim

This is an historic bill containing most features of health care reform our country so desperately needs! The CBO's projected savings are very compelling for me.

Americans should understand that expanding health care coverage and controlling delivery costs makes our economy more productive, our industries more competitive, and our people healthier!

November 18, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  12. WIlly Brown

The democRATS have com,e up with a new tax me to death bill called health care?

November 18, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  13. GI Joe

The party of NO help for US and NO anything to make this a great county again will fight ths tooth and nail.

NO doesn't cut it. We, in NC are voting EVERY republican out that votes against US.

We did it to Dole, folks, and she was embedded fr years by the BUSHIES>

November 18, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  14. valwayne

$849 billion is a huge lie. The Democrats submitted false assumption to the CBO to get the numbers they wanted. If you ask the CBO to tell what you get if you add 2 apples plus 2 apples they will tell you 4 apples. However, if you really intend to add 2 rotten eggs plus 1 apple with a worm in it plus one half eaten orange the CBO's answer won't mean much. We all know the Senate and the House are perpetrating a huge fraud. Obamacare will cost trillions upon trillions. The extra cost and taxes may well bankrupt the nation. And our 10.2% UNEMPLOYMENT? Businesses already refuse to hire because they know what Obama and the Democrats are sending their way. Once this passes they will start to cut employees and costs big time. UNEMPLOYMENT could hit 15-20%. There is no free lunch. This may bankrupt us for generations!

November 18, 2009 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  15. howie

How many of you really believe that this bill will reduce cost, not many?

November 18, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  16. billy123

Thanks Senator Reed and now lets get this bill pass.

A Happy Nevada Voter

November 18, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  17. Robin

And where is the $849 billion coming from?

November 18, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  18. Carnell From The Motor City!

Good Job Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Keep Up The Excellent Work.

November 18, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  19. a Soldier

Do we really want to wait 10 to 20 years to see our national deficit to be reduced by about $127 to $600 billion? If so I would love to run up my credit cards and not pay any of my bills and then ask for a 20 yr payment plan. I have 3 kids my wife and I work hard for what we have, and to see it wasted away by our Gov. is sad, and it's also sad to know that my kids will have to work twice as hard to clean this mess.

November 18, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  20. Slider

Transparency?

Open debate on the Congressional floor for all to see?

Bi-partisanship?

A posting of bills online for 5 days prior to voting?

I've got a question for our "progressive" friends: What did you not get that over 58M others on election day knew?

November 18, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  21. Bpin

Simply laughable. What kind of fools does Reid think the American people are? $849 billion cost but we will lower our debt in the process. OK. Since we will be lowering our debt, there will be no cost and actually a credit, right? Since this is the case Mr. Reid, why don't you and your cronies just show it as a credit? Since it is a credit with no cost, you are not going to raise my taxes to pay for it, right? You are going to offer free health care plus abortions to all folks who do not have it, at a credit, Right? What did you say Mr. Reid? Oh, I gotcha. This is just the way a socialist government works. It is all clear now.

November 18, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Now we need to do what's right for America...and pass it!!

November 18, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  23. John

No wonder nothing in this country gets done properly. The Dems were incredibly determined to get Repub. Senator Olympia Snowe's backing on the health care billing. She finally said "OK," but stated she wouldn't support the bill if a public option was inserted. So what did Reid do? Insert the public option of course, pissing off Snowe and several conservative Dems. These individuals in Washington are an absolute joke. They have no idea what they are doing. It's all about pulling the wool over the eyes of the American people and getting their vote, not making the country stronger. We elected Pelosi and Reid as two of our leaders? Are you kidding me? I could name every Congressperson and say the same thing about them.

Also, have you noticed that any report regarding the cost of the plan that is favorable to them is a good, solid report and that any report which does not back their plan the way they want is "invalid?" Just noticing.

November 18, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  24. AJ

This bill is nothing but a massive giveaway to insurance companies. What an incredible farce.

November 18, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. no longer a democrat

I have a really bad feeling about this........

November 18, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |