November 21st, 2009

Senate Democrats assured of 60 votes to debate health bill

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senate Democrat Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas said Saturday she will support bringing the Senate health care reform bill to the floor for debate, giving Democrats the 60 votes they need to prevent a Republican filibuster.

"Although I don't agree with everything in this bill, I believe it is important to begin this debate," she said. "This issue is very complex. There is no easy fix," she said in making her announcement on the Senate floor, just hours before Saturday night's 8 p.m. procedural vote.

Earlier Saturday, Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana, became the 59th lawmaker to agree to vote for debate.

Filed under: Health care
  1. LacrosseDad

I think her asking price was only 60 million. The taxpayers got off cheap on her vote.

November 21, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. Right wingnuts are the darlings of dementia

Welcome home, Senator Lincoln!

November 21, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  3. demsrulz

Halliburton share down... Lol

November 21, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Right wingnuts are the darlings of dementia

Did you notice that the wingnuts threaten to remove any congressman who supports health reform? I think we have all had enough of their fear and threats for the last 8 years. Other than a mental imbalance, and a desire to ruin this country of ours, they got nothing. They really need to run and hide behind their Extremist Media" morons, Beck, and Hannity.

November 21, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. Right wingnuts are the darlings of dementia

Get this done, and we will have less than 40 GOP senators elected in 2010.

November 21, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  6. gp5241

why does the media feature the mindless comments of someone who has been rejected by 60% of Americans as someone who's IQ can be measured using a tire guage? Is this news or show biz? We need facts not gossip as there are millions without health care, people dieing younger than they should and infants dieing too soon. It amazes me that the pro-choice people are able to turn a blind eye to everything else that is wrong with life and death in America.

November 21, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Bob Ramos

I listened to Senator Lincoln's speech. She is right. The Senate needs to have a frank and open debate about the health bill. By her action, she reserves judgment as to whether or not she will vote for or againist the final version.

November 21, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. Right wingnuts are the darlings of dementia

Love those Senate Democrats! Debate wins over fear of wingnut wickedness.

November 21, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  9. Mickey

Finally, a Republican with a conscience and morals.

November 21, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  10. Beverly in NC

Thank you Senator Lincoln! We need more Senators who care about the People and serve us as promised.

Republicans are only about themselves and playing games with our lives. They could care less what happens to the average American. As long as they have government-run healthcare for free – who cares about anyone else??

I hope the nation is taking notice of who has worked hard for the PEOPLE this year and who has done NOTHING but sit on the sidelines and whine, complain, tell lies, oppose everything, fund dangerous racist lunatic groups, fear-monger, spread hate, and even call for the failure of America! Republicans are traitors and not serving anyone but themselves. We can vote NO too – on all Republicans up for reelection!

Go Democrats – we are waiting for the passage of real reform with a strong public option. No more insurance company abuse!

November 21, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  11. 1GregM

Typical politician – I will do what the party wants of me if they will pay me graft money to guide my vote. When will she vote for putting herself in the line to receive this largest boondoggle in American history. Someone please point out where in the Constitution is allows Congress to mandate I purchase a product and if I do not acquiesce to their demands, I face penalties and jail time. These people are nothing more than power hungry elitists who could care less about the general welfare of their constituents. I want my country back!!! – VOTE in 2010 and show them just exactly what the majority want of them.

November 21, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. Right wingnuts are the darlings of dementia

I know the wingnuts, who live in their parents basement and get an allowance, are not going to be happy to see actual discussion on health care reform. Instead of listening to paid teabaggers from "Extremist Media," we will actually get to hear elected officials have an almost honest debate.

November 21, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. GI Joe

It's about time.

This should have happened in the summer so the entire nation could move on to fix other messes. Obstructionists really just stand in the way of progress.

November 21, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. Jack Fl

Letshear what all our elected officials have to say. Confident we will know who read the bill vs those that only want to stir up a stink.

November 21, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  15. RICK FROM PA

I applaud Senator Lincoln for moving this important Debate forward.
    However, I sincerely hope that she will come to her senses that unless we come up with a "strong solution" to create competition in the Healthcare Industry that this will not only hurt Americans but Small Businesses and the Growth of our economy as well.

November 21, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. Joe

The mos recent health care poll shows that70% of Arkansas voteres are against the Health care proposal and Lincoln votes to start debate. I cannot wait until the mid term elections. She is as good as gone. It looks as if Dodd, Ried, Lincoln, Specter are all going to be gone for sure. It also looks as if another 3-4 Dems will also be gone. If things go correctly 7 Dems will be gone and maybe more. I guess the Liberal establishment has failed in less then 2 years- Thank God

November 21, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. Bostonian123

Democrats do the right thing "MOVE THE BILL FORWARD" Health Care for All. It's the Christian thing to do. At the end of the day Americans will have more respect for Democrats if they move this forward. You are the majority, you were voted the majority, do something meaninful with this opportunity, don't waste it. It is time to do the right thing. Repubs had their chance and they brought this country to its knees. Ignore their rant, show your cojones for the right cause, even if you loose at the next election you can be proud of what you did for all Americans. Any body that knows about strategic sourcing understands that the more you buy the less it costs per unit. Republicans are the anti-Christ, their practices have no Biblical foundation. Do the right thing...It is time. If we can waist trillions of dollars killing millions in Iraq, we can spend a trillion in our health care.

November 21, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. DAVE

can you say suicide on the parts of all of these democrats and independents who vote yes....... for those who want re-election next year you will be creating your dimize tonight at 5 p.m. you will all be gone when your term is up.....

November 21, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. heartlight3

Did I miss a reversal of Joe Lieberman's position on the filibuster? I thought he said he would not vote for debate on the floor if there was a public option in the bill. Did he change his mind?

November 21, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. aa

muahahahaha GOP is done

November 21, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  21. Denna

Good for Blanche Lincoln and Mary Landrieu. The least the Senate can do is allow this bill to come up for debate, transparent debate, please. There are thousand of Americans who are losing their jobs and thereby their health insurance. This cannot be ignored. Americans deserve the same tender care that we give other nations with our tax money.

November 21, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Doc in Virginia

I'm looking forward to seeing Landrieu, Lincoln, Nelson and Lieberman losing their primaries to more progressive candidates; real Democrats. It's good to have debate and not be drones like the GOP, but to have the power and almost blow it...? Ridiculous.

November 21, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  23. once upon a horse

no matter what happens in the end this is the first time I can recall we've gotten this far with any kind of healthcare reform. Of course the Republicans will keep trying to stop or stall it and the tea party folks will keep trying to spread fears and falsehoods but I just wonder if these folks know that even if a bill is finally passed reform is NOT going to happen the very next day. At least it will be out there for all of us to see and judge and just like Medicare and Social Security it will take a bit of time to get use to and accept, one way or the other.

November 21, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  24. D. Tree

Finally someone is getting something done in government,

The senate is making me proud today!

November 21, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. diridi

dear Democrats....stay together, this bill is a nation's dire need...ok...don't be fools....pass this health care with public option....listen, writer is not an ordinary guy....he is very well educated...public option will see competition...ok pass this bill and talk...you have my support....Americans are suffering like any thing...with out health care coverage....pass this bill with public option....you have my vote next time too....good luck, god bless....I here keep praying...

November 21, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |