November 21st, 2009

UPDATE: Landrieu says she'll back health bill debate

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana said Saturday she has decided to support a floor debate on the Senate's health care reform bill.

But she added a caveat on the floor of the Senate: "My vote today to move forward on this important debate should in no way be construed by the supporters of this current framework as an indication of how I might vote as this debate comes to an end.

HAPPENING NOW: Click her to watch the debate live

"It is a vote to move forward to continue the good and essential and important and imperative work that is under way."

Sixty votes are needed to move the controversial bill to the floor for discussion. The legislative body is expected to vote Saturday night. The only senator who has not publicly announced how she will vote on the debate question is Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas.

–CNN's Dana Bash contributed to this report.

Filed under: Health care
  1. Lori, Houston Texas

Hey Mary! Nice job on that extortion plan. Your state gets a $100 million bonus for your vote to discuss healthacare reform, but no guarentee you'll actually vote for the bill! I am impressed. The MAFIA couldn't have done it better. Well done, clever girl. We'll remember this one!

November 21, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  2. Josefina Brown

Why did this post and the main article in the front page omit the fact that Landrieu was "bribed" with a $100 million promise for LA in the bill? Of course, LA was not mentioned by name but all the requisites fit only LA.

November 21, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  3. James Michael Roberson

Yeah Sen. Mary Landrieu. I hope more Senators also do the right thing.

November 21, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Kat

Pack your bags Landrieu, You're out in the next election. Too bad you sold us out. Shame on you. This is not what the working people of Louisiana want. It's clear you are only for the deadbeats of the country.

November 21, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. aware

So long Sen. Mary Landrieu!

November 21, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. 1GregM

... "My vote today to move forward on this important debate should in no way be construed by the supporters of this current framework as an indication of how I might vote as this debate comes to an end."...

Read as, if you want me to continue to support this POS bill, you'll have to cough up more graft money to sway my vote. If I face a possible rejection for office next year, I want to go out with more money than God so can live as good as I deserve.

Typical graft receiving poilitician.

November 21, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. susan maulik

senator blanche lincoln should pledge not to enroll in medicare when she is 65 since it is a plublic program.

November 21, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. phoenix86

Landrieu will not get re-elected anyway, so she has nothing to lose by increase the burden on the citizens of Louisiana even more than Pelosi, Reid and Obama have already done.

November 21, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Denna

Thank you Senator Landrieu. Debate is all we ask. Let the public in on it and let us get a chance to decide. We need some serious changes in both healthcare and tort reform so that people don't treat hospitals and doctors like piggy banks.

November 21, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. D. Tree

Well done Sen. Landrieu!

November 21, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. diridi

dear mary landreiu...you have my vote for next time...public opiton is needed to have competition....good luck...my vote here for you....nation's dire need is this health care with public option...good luck, dear...

November 21, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. Jimmy James

Of course she will. Obama's change is a pipe dream. A provision giving Louisiana 110 million dollars in medicare is in the bill. In the real world that called bribery and business as usual in Washington. I thought Obama was going to stop these crooked practices? Oh yeah, transparency is just a talking point but its not a actual policy.

November 21, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. jay in CA

YAY! Get this ball rolling now! Do not listen to those who are influenced by insurance companies. I.E. the entire republican party.

Repubs are against getting rid of pre-existing conditions along with basic ideas that everyone should agree on.

They have contributed NOTHING to improve health insurance. They have NO ideas, and they just want to do whatever the president wants to do.

Democrats need to grow a backbone and stick it to these morons who have destroyed this country!

November 21, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |