November 22nd, 2009

Freshman Dem: Passing health care reform worth losing my seat

Colorado Democrat Sen. Michael Bennet said Sunday that he is ready to lose his seat if that's what is necessary to pass a health care reform bill.

Washington (CNN) – A freshman Democratic senator said Sunday that he will support his party’s efforts to pass health care reform legislation even if that means losing his seat in next year’s midterm elections.

“If you get to the final point and you are a critical vote for health care reform and every piece of evidence tells you if you support the bill you will lose your job, would you cast the vote and lose your job?” CNN’s John King asked Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado on Sunday’s State of the Union.

“Yes,” Bennet bluntly and simply replied.

Bennet was appointed by Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter to replace Sen. Ken Salazar, who stepped down from the Senate to serve as President Obama’s Interior Secretary. Bennet, who was superintendent of the Denver public school system prior to his appointment, will have to seek election to the seat for the first time in 2010.

Related: West is tough terrain for Democrats

Filed under: Colorado • Health care • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. demsrulz

Bravo!

November 22, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  2. Ann

You and Representative Cao make me feel better about politicians.

November 22, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  3. John in Denver

Colorado thanks and supports you Senator Bennet!

November 22, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. Phillip Bias

Just another traitor who thinks he is better than all the people who elected him.just like every other dem i have met. he basicly has said he will vote against those he is supposed to represent. just another dem who knows it all. well i hope he does loose his seat reguardless of the h/c outcome

November 22, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  5. Mar

Good for him. At least somebody stands for what he believes in!

November 22, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. JC

Great man. People like him should be elected more often.

November 22, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  7. michiganautoworker

The audacity of an appointed politcal hack to ignore his stockholders is fundamentally what is wrong with our system today. They are only beholden to the Party not the people or country. His job is to represent his constituents and he obviously doesnt understand the fundamentals of the constitution so he should be tossed in the next election

November 22, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  8. Proud member of "Global Zero:

I wish all politicians would vote for what the people want, which is Healthcare with a public option. I applaud the congressman. I think what those that oppose show a cowardice. It seems as though in the House bill....congress would be forced to join the insurance pool that the rest of us have a choice of.

I don't know about anyone else. I have insurance. My oldest son was forced off at 21. My insurance went up $100.00 a month, not down. My husband has a job without benefits. I was going to add him to my policy at work. I found out my premiums will be going up by $422.00 a month at the first of the year. That is with my 2 remaining children and without adding my husband. WE have got to find a way to keep this from happening. I will soon need a second job just to pay for my families insurance.

By the way, my choice is food on the table or health insurance. I have lost 10 pounds this past month. I cannot go below 100.

Fading away in Florida.

November 22, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. John Starnes Tampa Florida

How encouraging to see brevity, honesty and bravery in a politician!

November 22, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  10. Matt

If anyone thinks that this party cares for what the majority wants, think again. This is complete arrogance and drinking the socialistic cool-aid. I am embarrassed that I voted for this President.

November 22, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

I'd like to see one GOP answer the same way... it would never happen since GOP is all about PARTY, not COUNTRY.

This guy has class.

November 22, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. Randy, San Francisco

Integrity and Courage! Doing what is good for the American people and not for your own benefit. Republican politicians should feel shame for being obstructionists.

November 22, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  13. dancybear

Here is the problem with our politicians, They do not listen to
    the voice of the people!!! He will lose his seat!!

November 22, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  14. disaster

And there is the problem. If he loses an election, that means that the majority do not like what you are doing. If you lose because of this vote, that means the majority do not like your vote. THAT MEANS you are NOT representing your constituents...you are representing you PARTY.

Until we get back to representatives representing their CONSTITUENTS, we will continue to devolve into the "us vs them" overpolitization of America.

November 22, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  15. cocopial

John King never ask such blunt questions to Republican. I wonder why? But way to go senator! Yesterday made me so proud of the Democrats in congress. Finally, these Democrats has shown some guts. It is good to have some confidence in the system again and why we vote to give the Dems congress.

November 22, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. all the news that's fit to omit

Polling across the BOARD is against this bill and that includes LIBERALS and Democrats by a 4 to 3 margin, Republicans and Conservatives and Independents it is MUCH higher than that.

But even the Liberals and Democrats that are CITIZENS, REAL people who this is going to effect EVERYDAY KNOW THAT THIS BILL IS GARBAGE unlike the Liberals and Democrats in CONGRESS who this WON'T EFFECT AT ALL.

Your taxes will go up, your premiums will go up and Medicare will be reduced, you want to know who is getting their insurance PROTECTED all of a sudden, the unions.

ALL FACTS and all proven by the CBO and many non-partisan groups.

We need reform, but not THIS REFORM, they want to pass anything to say they did, but this will ruin us and people a lot smarter than us on these matters and non-partisan are telling you that.

Pass this garbage and yes genius, you will be looking for a real job, real soon, like Obambi in 2012.

November 22, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. charlie

First of all Bennet wasn't elected. He was appointed, please read the article don't just scan the headlines. I have personally wrote to Mr. Bennet and he ignores the majority of Coloradans against health care reform. He will loose his job.

November 22, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  18. Stu

Of course he will say that, the Democratic Party is the Party of welfare, entitlement, and relentless taxation.

I hope all of you who support this nonsense enjoy paying the taxes to support it. Like Social Security, it will lose solvency and will either collapse or have to be propped up by taxing those who actually work to death. It's gong to be more financially sound to be a bum and live off welfare.

Obamacare will be characterized by fraud, overpayment, double charging, inefficiency, etc, just like Social Security and Medicare already are.

To those of you who whine that you can't afford health insurance...have you turned off your cable, high speed internet, and blackberry phones? Have you given up alcohol and tobacco? Passed up buying the latest flatscreen tv or video console? Waited for clearance sales to buy clothing?

Have you set up a Medical Savings Account? Taking advantage of any cafeteria plan your employer offers?

I think not!

November 22, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  19. Adam (From Chicago)

What a patriot! Voting for more government power and control over our lives! Wow. Brave too! I mean every other time in the history of the nation that the government got involved in ANYTHING...it's been a financial disaster!

Only spending 900 billion dollars too!

Wow what a Maverick!

November 22, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  20. buckwheat

Them Dems will do anything to get free health care just for the votes.They don't care a rats rear end about your health.It is about votes and power.Now the ones who are paying the bills should quit working and sit on their rear ends apply for public housing put a neck brace collar around their neck, apply for disability and say to hell with the problems of the country. Keep Dem checks coming. Even your President is living in public housing now. Left a million dollar mansion for politics.

November 22, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  21. Mike

So; let me get this straight:
    Michael Bennet of Colorado says he'd vote for a bill even if it meant losing his job. Sounds noble, except for the fact that "losing his job" would mean that his constituency DID NOT WANT the bill, and therefore he is consciously choosing to IGNORE the people who hired him.
    May I ask when did Congress transform itself into the Imperial Roman Senate?

November 22, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  22. Meka

As it should be!

November 22, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  23. Cory Harris

Democrat Sen. Michael Bennet a man with some gratefruits. President Obama I hope your watching this guy your party should be leading just like this. The greater good always is better then the good of ones self.

November 22, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  24. Bill from Western Colo.

Phillip says it well. These people are supposed to be representing the people yet they ignore them. The tax protests fell on deaf ears. Now this. Politicians like this clown will destroy this country, and they don't care. Sadly, a lot of the sheep in this country don't care, either.

November 22, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  25. Artie

Can anyone explain how the minority in this country is jamming this health care junk down the throat of the majority? All of you air heads expect to get health care for everyone at no cost to yourself on the backs of the working people ! There ain't no free lunches! Socialism is a poor substitute for freedom!

November 22, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |