November 22nd, 2009

Freshman Dem: Passing health care reform worth losing my seat

Colorado Democrat Sen. Michael Bennet said Sunday that he is ready to lose his seat if that's what is necessary to pass a health care reform bill.

Washington (CNN) – A freshman Democratic senator said Sunday that he will support his party’s efforts to pass health care reform legislation even if that means losing his seat in next year’s midterm elections.

“If you get to the final point and you are a critical vote for health care reform and every piece of evidence tells you if you support the bill you will lose your job, would you cast the vote and lose your job?” CNN’s John King asked Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado on Sunday’s State of the Union.

“Yes,” Bennet bluntly and simply replied.

Bennet was appointed by Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter to replace Sen. Ken Salazar, who stepped down from the Senate to serve as President Obama’s Interior Secretary. Bennet, who was superintendent of the Denver public school system prior to his appointment, will have to seek election to the seat for the first time in 2010.

Related: West is tough terrain for Democrats

Filed under: Colorado • Health care • Popular Posts • State of the Union
  1. Chris

This Congressman, like the rest of the Democrats, are pushing an agenda without listening to the majority. They are also NOT using transparency, as promised. I cahave lost count on the number of promises Obama and the Democrats have broken. Healthcare needs to be reformed but not at the expense of the taxpayer. The costs on this are just estimated and we all know the governement is anything but efficient. This is just part of the "change" you can believe is...WHAT A JOKE!!!!! I expect a full apology from any one that voted this liar into office..

November 22, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. quarterback

The idiots posting on this site are amazing.

I worked in primary healthcare for 25 years and quit because the system is so broke.

It must be reformed. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Just because you can type, doesn't mean your opinion is worth crap.

November 22, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  3. Edo

He will not lose his seat. The people want health care reform and all the options public and otherwise. The "No" Republicans cannot let Obama pass health care reform because it's success will guarantee the Republicans are out for a long time to come.
    John King let McConnell get away with saying that Americans don't want the health care reform bill passed which is so much hogwash and King knows it. This is the kind of journalism that led to the Iraq war. King has no backbone because he didn't challenge him on that issue not even a rebuttle.

November 22, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  4. Dan, LA

Yes, first of all you should not have been in the senate because you are not elected by the people. Anyway your days are numbered. Go away. You may get a job in Chicago. Look out.

November 22, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. Laurie

This guy is the perfect example of what has happened in our government.

He was voted in by the people of his state....to represent THEM! Not himself, not a political agenda, not even his own pride and ego.

Our representatives jobs are to represent US! If they can't do that...if they refuse to do that....then they should find another career.

November 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  6. Jed

Maybe the President can pass a bill everyone agrees on if the President would just lie to us all about what is in it. Republicans don't mind being lied to and don't mind paying billions for a war, even when they are lied to to get their support for it. Maybe they have never seen a person, who has worked hard and paid taxes their entire life, be denied life saving cancer treatment (by the insurance company they pay premiums to) and die. Those who want a free ride already get it by going to their nearest emergency room, or the use Medicare/Medicaid.

November 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  7. Tony

We need more leaders like this-a very high standard of integrity.

November 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  8. Fran30097

The GOP is the party of big welfare, big entitlement, and big handouts as long as they go to their business interest,fraternal friends and other brothers and buddies. They have lost their way and should be ashame to call themselves Americans! The Demos are not far behind.

November 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. WIlly Brown

Good, you and rest of the socialist morons called democrats.

November 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. ohio u student

buckwheat, i hope you lose your insurance and need medical help...that way you see what its like to be hardworking, have no insurance, and go into insane debt

November 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  11. Kevin

"Just another traitor"

No, he is someone with amazingly high moral standards to do what is right. In the civil rights movement, it was political suicide in my home state of Mississippi to stand up for equal rights and go AGAINST the wishes of the most vocal of the people (note, not the MOST people, just the most vocal). Having affordable health care is a civil rights and a human rights issue. It is about giving the people what every other industrialized nation has done years ago. This representative was elected to do THIS job and pass THIS bill. Hurray for Senator Bennet!!!!!!

November 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  12. Cory Harris

Wow sometime I wonder if Bill MAHER'S comment that "most Americans are simply stupid. Bush went into Iraq FOR NOTHINGGGGGGGG and the deficit hit the roof and someone that is overlooked. People blame Obama for the enconomy which is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard of for someone being in Office for ten months. If that was even truth hell I would even ask him to be impeached from office. Socilized medicine (HEALTH CARE) wow again dum dum dum medicaid is a GOVERNMENT run program. Most of all as a African American man I'm rather insulted that the republican party think that I myself would be even fool why they even have MICHEAL STEELE as chairman of the party. Hmmm what are the odds of the first black elected President of the UNITED STATES then the first elected chairman of the Republican party to be black also. GIVE ME A DAM BREAK OF I MYSELF DIDNT FALL FROM A TURNIP TRUCK!!!! STEELE IS A FOOL IF HIS DISPLAY OF THE 1980 HIP TALK INSULTING HIS OWN PEOPLE WITH WORK. STEELE YOUR A IDIOT AND DEBATING YOU ON ISSUES WOULD BE A JOKE HELL I'LL CRUSH YOU ON THE ISSUES.

November 22, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. Sandra

Me thinks someone forgot who his bosses actually are. We've gotten to the point, actually we've been here for quite awhile, that the government thinks they are the boss of the people rather than the other way around.

The constitution was set up to limit the federal government and somewhere along the line we as a country strayed far away from that ideal.

November 22, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  14. SOL

Sic semper tyrannis

November 22, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  15. JW

Sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of representative government.

November 22, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  16. Josh in Spfld

If he is going to lose his seat by voting for health care... then obviously the people in his district do not want it. This means he is not reflecting the will of his people, which is his entire purpose for being elected in the first place! Why would you not do what you are there for!? Represent your people! Not Your Interest!

November 22, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  17. buckwheat

You have to be careful of people who are thrown in to fill a space. Harry Truman was chosen to run on Roosevelts ticket because he was a nobody but was responsible for the largest noise ever made in anger when he had the guts to end World War 2 with that A-Bomb. We need someone now that can make decisions instead of travel plans at out expense.

November 22, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  18. to the victor goes the courage award

where were all these people talking about losing their country and betraying it 2 years ago when they were losing their savings due to gas prices, two wars, out of control banks, and a do nothing congress. Now congress is working (on weekends to no less) they a whining about congress. The truth is as a republican I must sit back and look on my side of the ledger to see what my party has done for this country and I must say the only thing its done for me is give me more money (because I happen to be in that 3 percent) Obama says is rich. However, As I travel abroad and take some time to refresh my US history knowledge I realize my past views on this issue may not be on the right side of american history if I do not support some effort to fix healthcare. So though I don't like it all we have to move forward our people are sick and dieing and getting financial ruin for a basic need. No founding father would stand to see America continue on this road.

November 22, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  19. Marc in Colorado

Your job is to represent us Coloradans and do the best for Colorado. If you know you are "going to lose your job" because we don't want this bill... why do it? Are you more concerned about the democratic party than the state you are actually supposed to represent? You just solidified the fact that I am going to vote for who ever is running against you. At least they may actually do their job and represent Colorado!

November 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  20. JR

I sure hope he gets his wish, any politician that puts himself above his constituents deserves to be fired.

November 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  21. cjl

ummm..yes...because I know better than the people. (the democratic mantra).

November 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  22. zivo24

All of you who are saying that the majority of people in this country are opposed to health care reform need to stop getting ALL of your information from Fox News.

The reason that Bennet suspects that he might lose his job over his vote is because he was already vulnerable as an appointee who wasn't the first choice of most democrats and indepents in Colorado, and now the health insurance industry and the GOP propaganda machine will spend MILLIONS to try to defeat by doing and saying ANYTHING, without any regard for facts of truth.

It's not because he is representing the will of the majority of his constituents. He IS doing that.

He is my senator and I approve of the job he is doing.

November 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  23. My vote is for sale, any takers?

How much were you paid for your vote Bennett? On election day in 2010, I plan to have a bumper sticker that says .."my vote is for sale to the highest bidder," let's see if I get arrested.

November 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  24. Senior Lilarose in Oregon

Good for you, Senator Bennett!

I am sure the folks in Colorado who have NO insurance, who worry daily how they will get their kids treated if they get sick, and who become despondent about this worry (like I did as a single mother) will appreciate your efforts on their behalf.

And that is why you are there.

Even if you lose in 2010, you will be able to sleep at night knowing you did your best.

November 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  25. benvictor

And, he will be accommodated. Here in Virginia, we went Red in a big way by electing Bob. As a democrat, I am enjoying Sarah Palin's book immensely. On page 378, she speaks about the liberal media with the quote, What a bunch of buffoons. The tide has turned, and it is so good.

November 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |