Washington (CNN) - A Defense Department review in the wake of the shootings at Fort Hood, Texas, is aimed at determining whether weaknesses in programs or procedures put service members and their families at risk, the military said.
The Pentagon Monday released the objectives of the 45-day review, announced last week by Defense Secretary Robert Gates. The review began Friday, and a report will be provided to Gates by January 15, 2010.
Authorities say Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, a U.S. Army psychiatrist, opened fire at a military processing center at the Fort Hood Army Post on November 5. Thirteen people were killed and dozens of others wounded.
Hasan has been charged with 13 preliminary counts of premeditated murder, the Army has said. Hasan, who was wounded in the incident, remains hospitalized.
In announcing the policy review last week, Gates said the incident raised questions that "demand complete but prompt answers."
The military said the review will identify and address "possible gaps and/or deficiencies in the DoD's programs, processes and procedures related to identifying department employees who could potentially pose credible threats to others," along with the department's force protection programs, its emergency response and its care for victims and families in the aftermath of such an event. It also will "assess the execution and adequacy of Army programs, policies and procedures as applied to the alleged perpetrator."
Programs under review will include periodic counseling sessions, health assessment programs for service members, personnel policies and release and discharge policies, the military said.
Gates said last week the investigation won't ease the pain of the families of the 13 people killed, but said the Pentagon must do "everything in our power to prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the future."